Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Justin Biebers newest crime against humanity and other living things

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 49 Replies

http://www.policymic.com/articles/42681/justin-bieber-monkey-abandoning-pet-at-customs-is-bieber-s-latest-crime-against-humanity

Justin Bieber Monkey: Abandoning Pet at Customs Is Bieber's Latest Crime Against Humanity

justin, bieber, monkey:, abandoning, pet, at, customs, is, biebers, latest, crime, against, humanity, ,

Justin Bieber Monkey Abandoning Pet at Customs Is Biebers Latest Crime Against Humanity

Judging by the number of photos, retweets, and favorites, many of Justin Bieber’s nearly 40 million Twitter followers noticed that he adopted a pet capuchin monkey, Mally. What they may have failed to notice was that the young capuchin has subsequently been abandoned in Germany. It is irresponsible for anyone, particularly someone idolized by so many youths, to cavalierly mistreat animals, and it is unfortunate that such public disregard for animal welfare and law goes unpunished and uncensured.

The first picture of them together was posted March 27, after weeks of photo updates of the baby monkey he planned to purchase. On March 28, Mally was taken at German customs when Bieber failed to file paperwork to bring the monkey into the country.  He was given four weeks to reclaim the monkey, after which time the government would seek to place the monkey in permanent care.

Abandonment is not even the beginning of the mistreatment. Mally was 14 weeks old at the time. Primate care experts suggest that capuchins not be separated from their mothers before they are a year old. While pet monkeys are removed from their mothers as early as three days after birth and given a stuffed animal as surrogate, those animals develop abnormal behaviors, such as digit sucking and rocking. According to Kevin Wright, director of conservation, science, and sanctuary at the Phoenix Zoo in Arizona, “If you try to keep them as pets you're creating a mentally disturbed animal in 99.9% of the cases. The animal will never be able to fit in any other home. Never learn how to get along with other monkeys. And, more often than not, will end up with a lot of behavioral traits that are self-destructive." Luckily, the shelter reports that Mally is developing well in care.

Mally still has not been claimed by Bieber. According to customs spokesman Thomas Meister, Bieber has until Friday at midnight to claim him, or Mally will be placed in a zoo.  The shelter at which Mally is currently being housed has stated that Bieber’s management company has suggested the 20-week-old monkey be placed in a local zoo. Customs, however, has yet to receive a formal request from Justin Bieber or an authorized representative. Bieber also has not paid the thousands in euros in care, veterinary treatments, and food accumulated in the interim.

German animal-rights groups support placing the animal in care. Wolfgang Schröder, president of the German Animal Protection Society, has stated, "From the point of view of animal protection he should under no circumstances be allowed to keep the animal that was brought into the country illegally."

Bieber is currently back home in Hollywood, where owning a primate as a pet is illegal under the Fish and Game Code Section 671.  Such permits ceased to be issued in 1992. Thus, it seems unlikely that Justin Bieber will be reclaiming the animal he abandoned weeks ago in Germany.

It is incredibly cruel that this young man has bought and abandoned a young animal. Not only did he not observe California law and lose his pet for failure to follow German law, he has not been independently responsible for the animal that he has taken from its home and abandoned abroad, and he has yet to acknowledge his violations of law and humane decency. Bieber should use his influence on so many adolescents to set a good example. A good first step would be owning up to his horrible decision.

Picture Credit: Flickr

by on May. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jllcali
by Jane on May. 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
What a douche
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
3 moms liked this

Seriously. I just don't get how he''s popular...

Quoting jllcali:

What a douche

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow what a spoiled little shit.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I will never understand his popularity.  He's a  whimpy man-child with mediocre talent at best.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM
What a shit head. No talent and a piss poor per owner
jllcali
by Jane on May. 19, 2013 at 1:36 AM
I couldn't tell you

Quoting Momniscient:

Seriously. I just don't get how he''s popular...

Quoting jllcali:

What a douche

stormcris
by Christy on May. 19, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Ugh! Let that get around to all his fans and he might not fare as well. I am not sure they love him more than they love animals.

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 3:36 AM
Another reason I really dislike him. Hollywood has done wonders for his personality and decision making it would seem. His mother should have made him live here until he was old enough to buy his own home (of age) and then he could move wherever he pleased. Maybe the fame wouldn't have went to his head as much, maybe he wouldn't be such a giant douche bag. Who knows though? Maybe he was always a douche and no amount of trying to keep him grounded would have changed it. I just feel awful for that poor monkey :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by on May. 19, 2013 at 3:40 AM

hahaha probably not - they'll all be like "Oh, he's justin beiber, he should be allowed to do whatever he likes". Or they'll threaten to cut themselves again like they did when he was arrested :/

Quoting stormcris:

Ugh! Let that get around to all his fans and he might not fare as well. I am not sure they love him more than they love animals.

GleekingOut
by on May. 19, 2013 at 3:41 AM

He is one "artist" I have banned my 3 younger kids from listening to. Honestly only one had an interest in him to begin with, but his actions just keep proving over and over again that he is not someone I want influencing my children and that his fans are nothing to aspire to be either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)