Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you find this to be a waste of money?

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
  • 184 Replies

Wisconsin Church Builds 60-Foot Cross to Win 'Culture War'

article image
By Michael Allen, Sun, May 19, 2013

The New Life Assembly of God church in Janesville, Wisconsin raised more than $100,000 to build a towering 60-foot cross in order to win the "culture war," says Pastor Michael Jackson.

Church Deacon Wayne Korsberg told GazzeteExtra.com that he hopes people of all faiths, Christian and non-Christian, will come to the giant metal cross and become aware of Jesus Christ.

"If the enemies of the cross force a cross to be removed from the public park, then maybe a church should put up a 60 or 100 foot cross on their property," church Pastor Jackson told The Christian Post.

"Maybe several churches should go together and erect a large cross on some agreed on-church site. This is not a war that we sought, but it is a war that the church can and will win."

Pastor Jackson did not describe exactly what a "win" in the culture war would look like.

The "New Life Cross" weighs 25,000 pounds and can withstand winds of 90 miles per hour, says the church.

Pastor Jackson says the cross will also include "a 4,000 square-foot park pavilion, twelve benches, music, lights shining up on the cross, and a great deal of greenery... complete with restrooms."

"I find it interesting that the cross project has not been a drag on the church financially. Our tithes and offerings are up by better than $25,000 over last year at this time," said Pastor Jackson. "We still are able to operate our food pantry and other outreaches to the poor and to missions. The cross project seems to have lifted all of the income streams to the church."

The giant cross will hover over Interstates 90 and 39, two shopping plazas,and a residential neighborhood.

When asked why the church does not help the poor with the money (as commanded over 200 times in the Bible), Pastor Jackson compared the giant cross to Mary pouring expensive oil on the feet of Jesus.

Sources: GazzeteExtra.com and The Christian Post

by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM
3 moms liked this

The reasoning behind it just makes me cringe. I am Agnostic, so this has nothing to do with pride of religion, it has to do with people who think their beliefs are the ONLY beliefs. He wants to bring Christian and non-Christians to Jesus... well non-Christians don't want to know Jesus for one reason or another he is not important to them and anyone who thinks some obnoxious cross will suddenly cause a massive conversion is... special.

romalove
by Roma on May. 20, 2013 at 8:13 AM
15 moms liked this

They win!

Yay!

Can they remove the religious material from the governmental property now?  I mean, when the war is over, don't you take your toys and go home?  :-)

muslimah
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I drive by so many crosses a day I don't even notice them no matter how big they are.

AMBG825
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM
3 moms liked this
As long as it isn't on government property I could care less. Let them build it.
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:21 AM
6 moms liked this

Try telling that to Brazil and their Christ stature.  Try telling that to Peru and their new stature.  If it brings people together in a positive manner then of course it is not a waste of money. 

SuperChicken
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM
7 moms liked this

Well I'm glad they finally got it.  Put up the big ugly metal monstrosity on their property and not on public property!  Yes!

With regards to the money, you know Jesus would say "screw the hungry kids, give me a big cross!"

rosie211
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM
6 moms liked this

If the church wanted to do something for the community, how about helping people out instead? How many meals could that money have made? How many people could it have clothed. 

This is just ridiculous.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes but not as much as this thing.

It cost somewhere between 250,000 and 750,000

ambertreas76
by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand wanting to spread the Christian faith.  I get it BUT what I don't get is this... Why not build a park for the kids in the area and have a plaque saying it was donated by the church?  Why not help the homeless or hungry in the name of the church?  Why not help the VA in the name of the church?  The list goes on from there of people who need assistance.  I don't understand how building a humongous cross is going to win the culture war.  Why is there even a culture war?  I am Catholic but I also support the fact that EVERYONE has their own path to God, Goddess, the Universe, or whomever/whatever they see they are living in goodness and light for.  It seems as though this church may be spreading even more intolerance seeing as how they really don't care what religious path the individuals who live next door, that have this giant cross looming over their sunset/sunrise, practice.  This extremist attitude in any religion is 'the divide'.  I love my God but I also have tolerance and consideration.  

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM
That could have went towards helping those in need.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured