Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Buena Vista, Mich. Schools Close For Year, District Offers 'Skills Camp' Instead

Posted by   + Show Post

Buena Vista, Mich. Schools Close For Year, District Offers 'Skills Camp' Instead

article image
By Emily Smith, Sun, May 19, 2013

School is officially over for all 400 Buena Vista County students, after the school district fired all of its teachers and closed up shop because it ran out of money.

Instead, the district is now offering a voluntary "skills camp" for those who wish to finish out the school year. Teachers will have to interview for positions within the camp, which will last six hours and likely neglect students with special needs.

Despite many concerns from parents, Superintedent Deborah Hunter-Harvill says the students will be fine if the plan comes to fruition. However, Michigan Rep. Dan Kildee says the plan does is not good enough, and penalizes students for a problem they didn't create.

"The students of Buena Vista have a constitutional right to an education and deserve the same educational opportunities as other Michigan children," Kildee said, "and that means being in a classroom full-time to complete their school year."

Joe Ann Nash, a third grade teacher, voiced her opposition to the camp, saying teachers shouldn't have to re-interview for their jobs just because the district couldn't afford payroll.

Rep. Stacey Erwin Oakes also criticized the district's decision, calling for rainy day funds or taking out a loan to finish the year.

"The path of least resistance would be to put them back in school," she said.

Michigan faced similar financial problems in 1999, when Kalkaska schools closed for two months.

Sources: MLive, The Huffington Post

by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Replies (41-45):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
an example of how wasteful it is. My town has K-12 graduates roughly 75 per year. Five miles south another down in the same county graduates about 35 a year. Both towns support entire school systems. Why not combine the and support one? This is common in N Michigan and wasteful.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Perhaps they should. Tough times call new measures.

Quoting Carpy:

Michigan does not conglomerate schools. It is full of little towns that have K-12 schools. Some of them have graduating classes as low as 30. Very costly way to run school systems.

Quoting rfurlongg:

As rep Kildee says, that is unconstitutional. At the same time, if they are out of money, how can they function? I suspect this area is fairly rural if the entire district comprises of only 400 kids. Perhaps they (and the districts $) can be incorporated into the next closets county?
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

It's crazy. I can dig that those town want to have thier own schools but at some point they need to accept that it just isn't feasible. Plus, think about all the overhead...multiple school boards, multiple super intendents...it just doesn't make any sense.

Quoting Carpy:

an example of how wasteful it is. My town has K-12 graduates roughly 75 per year. Five miles south another down in the same county graduates about 35 a year. Both towns support entire school systems. Why not combine the and support one? This is common in N Michigan and wasteful.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Perhaps they should. Tough times call new measures.

Quoting Carpy:

Michigan does not conglomerate schools. It is full of little towns that have K-12 schools. Some of them have graduating classes as low as 30. Very costly way to run school systems.

Quoting rfurlongg:

As rep Kildee says, that is unconstitutional. At the same time, if they are out of money, how can they function? I suspect this area is fairly rural if the entire district comprises of only 400 kids. Perhaps they (and the districts $) can be incorporated into the next closets county?

disneymom2two
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wow, that's horrible.  I'd be signing my kid up for virtual schooling.  How can they deny seniors  their high school diploma at this point?!?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I like this idea.
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yeah I've heard about this...so sad.  I don't understand how things get so bad.  The teachers were told they weren't going to get paid for their work.  Sorry...but I don't think I'd keep working w/o a paycheck either.  Most people work to pay the bills, not b/c they want to make the world a better place.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN