Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Woman Gives Birth in Parking Lot After Hospital 'Experts' Turn Her Away ... Twice!

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 54 Replies

pregnantThis is the kind of story that makes my blood boil. A woman in England gave birth in the PARKING LOT of a hospital after being turned away TWICE by the "medical professionals" in that very hospital. Are you kidding me?

The woman, 29-year-old Rabia Rizwan, had already given birth to two daughters, so you'd think the hospital staff might give her some credit when she told them she was in serious pain and was about to give birth. You'd think that, right? Well.

Wrong! And to be perfectly honest, I'm not at all surprised. In my limited experience of giving birth exactly once, I learned that what I felt was happening in my own body rated a far second to what the doctors and their monitors thought was happening to my body. The vast majority of the time any hospital staff member -- from the nurses to the on-call OB/GYN to a man I THINK was overseeing all the births that night (but I was vague on this detail) -- spent in the birthing room with me, they were staring at monitors and typing things on the computer. For reals. I don't know if it because I gave birth at big hospital in NYC that sees a lot of high-risk pregnancies, or if it was the fact that they thought I was nuts anyway for bypassing an epidural on purpose, but my doctors really seemed to have little respect for how I felt, and way more interest in whatever the heck was on that computer screen.

I can very vividly remember, after about nine hours of labor, KNOWING that it was time to push. I could just tell; the physical sensation was impossible to ignore. I told the overseeing OB/GYN mystery man, and he just sort of smiled patronizingly and kept typing away at whatever the hell he was typing away. "NO I REALLY NEED TO PUSH," I said, or something to that effect. He disappeared, and the on-call OB/GYN eventually materialized to check things out. "I'm really ready!" I told her, and she too sort of patted me on the head and said she'd let me try.

I kid you not, one giant push and my baby was almost out. The doctor literally made me STOP so she and the nurses could scramble to put their gloves on! Can you imagine? I pushed a grand total of twice more; the whole thing took less than 10 minutes. I told you it was time, fuckers!

I know I'm not alone in this; my own mom gave birth to me right after her OB/GYN told her it would be "hours and hours"; a dear friend of mine KNEW she was having a miscarriage last year before anyone else believed her, and I've heard many similar tales from friends and mommy acquaintances. That poor woman in England ended up spending five days in the hospital thanks to an infection she and the baby picked up from GIVING BIRTH IN THE PARKING LOT. I really hope this serves as a wake-up call to birthing professionalseverywhere. Pregnant women really do know what's going on inside our own bodies!

Did you feel like your birthing staff respected how you were feeling?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM

This is horrible.

I went in to pre-term labor with my first.  When I got to the hospital I was met with those who thought I had not a clue what I was talking about.  After all, this was my first experience with pregnancy and such.

It was determined, once they managed to find the time to actually pay attention and look in to the matter, that I was indeed in labor.  Had they not taken me seriously I shudder at would could have happened.

When my daughter gave birth to her son, the nurse told her she simply could not know what was going on with her own body.  It was her first pregnancy!  How could she!  The nurse, more than once, told my daughter she did not have to push.  It simply was not time yet.  

I raised hell and made sure the doctor came in and checked my daughter.  Guess what.................................

It happens.  

Thankfully not to the extent of the woman in the article or to an extent met with dire consequences.

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I have only had one doctor that ever showed me the teeniest bit of thoughtfulness.  She was filling in for my regular ob/gyn and right away I knew I had to have her.  However, she has kids of her own, so her employment with my insurance provider has been on again off again. Some years I'd be lucky and only have to see her and not the myriad of other doctors I have had that were HORRID. 

I hate going to the doctor and never will again for a "check up". 

petitekatie
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My friend went to the hospital three times in one night. They just gave her shots for pain, said she couldn't be in labor because she was sleeping in between "contractions" and sent her home. gave birth on her living room floor, mom helping. Hospital staff are idiots.

gsprofval
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The article does not say why she was turned away twice.  Was it a healthcare insurance thing?

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Well I'm a bitch and if someone isn't listening I'm more of a bitch so......

all of my docotor's with dd knew me in the practice by the time I had dd. I don't care if they liked me or whatever, I paid them to do a job and damn well they were going to do it. I felt very included and involved in my decisions but I would ask questions and not getting answers were not an option. I've always been a squekey wheel kind of person. I mellowed out after dd was born (if you're messing with my kid or my money you will piss me off otherwise, whatever) but now I'm pregnant again and megga bitch has returned. All the doctors at my new office know me and if I don't get an answer I keep calling. My attitude is and always will be this is a service. I'm paying these people to serve me so they need to take care of me, answer my questions, etc. The hospital I had dd at and the one I"m having this baby at is pretty big but they specialize in women's care so I don't know if that helps or what but any time I have been in a hospital or doctor's office I'm taken care of because I wont let them NOT take care of me.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM

They have national health care in England so I wouldn't think so.

Quoting gsprofval:

The article does not say why she was turned away twice.  Was it a healthcare insurance thing?

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM
If every woman knew they were getting ready to give birth, there would be no false alarms. So....BS. I feel the same way when people say, "every mother knows when something is wrong with bet child." I can't tell you how many perfectly healthy babies and kids I've seen trotted through the ER by parents who thought something was seriously wrong with them. The fact that thundered a of wen are sent home from L&D daily (thousands?) and it makes the news when they're wrong is pretty telling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:41 PM
My daughter (2nd baby) was almost born in the car because I was sent home. I knew I was in labor but they insisted I had several hours, probably days. Nope, DD was born 2 hours later, 20 min after arriving at the hospital. Then, I got chided for not coming in sooner. Assholes.
viv212
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Ugh what's worse is when the nurse will tell you to stop and put pressure on the baby's head to prevent it from coming out. That shit was painful! It was my 1st and I knew it was time. But "I need to wait" like we're really doing this on MY schedule.
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM

They tried that with  me, once.  I told her that my body did not care who was not in the room and the baby was making his debut without her approval. 

Quoting viv212:

Ugh what's worse is when the nurse will tell you to stop and put pressure on the baby's head to prevent it from coming out. That shit was painful! It was my 1st and I knew it was time. But "I need to wait" like we're really doing this on MY schedule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)