Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Senior prank prevents them from walking.

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 18 Replies

Quote:

Cricket Prank Bans Seniors From Graduation

By  | Parenting â€“ 6 hours ago

Students protest graduation ban

Seven kids at East Carter High School in Grayson, Kentucky thought it would be funny to release10,000 crickets in their school last Thursday morning as a senior prank. Unfortunately, school administrators didn't get the humor. According to local WSAZ News, the seniors were not allowed to walk in their graduation ceremony on Saturday morning and will not receive their diplomas until they each pay a $600 fine.

More on Yahoo!: Obama Delivers Morehouse Commencement

Some of the pranksters' classmates came to their defense, "We've been to school with them since we were in diapers. It's not fair to us to not have them there with us," senior Alissa Lawson told WSAZ during a student protest on Friday night. Dozens of seniors chanted, "Let them walk [in graduation]" and held signs in support of the "Cricket Clan." Kentucky state Senator Robin Webb, who once served as class president for East Carter High School, called the decision "overreaching" given that the kids had never had any disciplinary issues before.

More on Yahoo!: Guide Dog Graduates with Grateful Owner

However, officials witCrickets in high school hallh the Carter County School District were not amused. "Expenses will continue to rise as cleanup efforts are still underway," Principal Larry Kaiser said in a statement. "It is the stance of the Carter County School District that these actions, while meant to be a prank of sorts, are unacceptable." He added that the bugs had skittled into the school's nooks and crannies and that an expensive exterminator would have to be brought in. Kaiser did not respond to Yahoo!Shine's request for an interview.

It turns out this isn't the first time seniors have pulled a cricket prank—it's not even the first time this graduation season. In late April, Fox8 reported that seniors at Brush High School in Lyndhurst, Ohio released crickets and also mice in the cafeteria (because is there anything more hilarious than insects and rodents invading a food-prep area?). They also painted school windows and decorated trees with toilet paper. A cricket trick in 2010, carried out in the middle of the night, led to a student's arrest for burglary (as have numerous other pranks that either occurred after school hours orcaused damage to school property.)

Senior pranks have become a rite of passage at many schools probably encouraged by YouTube where you can watch endless videos of amusing and not-so-amusing stunts. One popular practical joke involves packing common areas with thousands of full cups of water. The Brentwood Academy class of 2007 managed to set up 17,000 styrofoam cups in their hallway. Foil-wrapping (chairs, desk, whole rooms) is another go-to trick. Students at Stafford High School in Virginia wrapped their retiring principal's SUV in foil. Luckily he had a sense of humor.

Unfortunately, many popular pranks are destructive, have the potential to cause injury, and might lead to suspension or other disciplinary action. School administrators may not find it so hilarious when seniors drop thousands of bouncy balls into the lobby or release three goats or piglets into the school numbered "1," "2," and "4."  Note to seniors who actually want to graduate: Think costumes, bubbles, and balloons, not live animals, tacks, or super glue. In a harmless though effective gag carried out by one high school class, the kids all put alarm clocks set for the same timein their lockers. 

Fair punishment?

by on May. 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Yes. This isn't a prank, it's vandalism that's costing the school money for exterminators.

The cups of water, wrapping the principals office, things like that are a pain in the ass, but not harmful. This was harmful and expensive.

ETA: I'd kick my kid in the ass if he'd done something like this, and fully back the school in banning him from graduation. He'd also be paying the fine out of his own pocket.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I agree with you.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Yes. This isn't a prank, it's vandalism that's costing the school money for exterminators.

The cups of water, wrapping the principals office, things like that are a pain in the ass, but not harmful. This was harmful and expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I would love to be able to understand what the hell these students were thinking.  

A senior prank that costs no one any money, does not hurt any one, damage property, etc., is one thing.  They went too far.  They should indeed have to pay the school for the funds they used.

The students who feel so let down because their friends were not there to walk with them, they should have thought this out before proceeding.  There are consequences to our actions and sometimes those consequences are severe.

Seems some missed the overall message of the consequences and only see what is in front of them.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

finnbar
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Hahahs my dad was not allowed to walk at his graduation. The night before the last day of school he and a few buddies soldered all the locks shut on the school doors. They imagined the scene the next morning as everybody arrived and started circling the building looking for a way in. What really happened is his bone headed friend got onto the school roof and was spotted running around. The police were called
and came out and arrested that guy and discovered the sealed doors. By morning the doors were opened and Dad turned himself in.
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM
It happened in my highschool too...pranks were great...the canoeing to school in the ditches by the senior class, taking all the monogrammed signage from all the competitive area schools and mixing then up, etc...then some kids stole some farm animals and let them go in the school (including putting baby pigs in an elevator and some died) and then the pranks were stopped.

Best one I had since teaching was this year when some seniors got 100s of the small disks that pay a really low spooky voice that say..."I'm watchin you!" And you can't find them,b/c their tiny, so you just have to wait them out! It was hilarious!
stormcris
by Christy on May. 20, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I do not see the crickets are harmful, except maybe to the crickets. They have to spray the school anyway.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM
As a parent, I would not be happy with my child if he did this.

From the perspective of a student, it sounds hilarious. They probably didn't think about exterminators.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get the prank?  No they shouldn't walk, and IMO they should have to do community service and pay for whatever cost the school has.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Just because these "pranks" are tradition doesn't make it a good or even appropriate tradition. These kids want to be treated like adults after walking, but by showing this type of immaturity, they are telling us that they aren't mature enough to be treated like adults. If they aren't going to be mature, then they can be treated like kids and punished appropriately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN