Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Strong Weather

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

From the looks of things it is going to be another strong storm day for many states..

Everyone people be careful if you are in those areas and keep up with the weather warnings

Overlay

Adding this 

What Is Needed For Your Tornado /Hurricane/ Natural Disaster Emergency Kit (Checklist) how to Create a Emergency Kit

1.Get a weather radio. I prefer the crank radios so you can use them even if you don’t have power. You may have heard from me before that you should get weather radio and I still fully stand by that as my number one advice for weather preparedness. You may not be able to access internet, have power for tv, or have cell phone reception, but you can always crank up a weather radio to find out what is going on and where.

2.Know your families plan. Do you have a certain room that you need to go to? If somehow you get separated do you know where you are going to meet up and are there any ways to communicate with each other?

72 hour emergency kit supplies should be 
This is a Check list

General safety - know your safe area, basement, closet, etc. It may sound dumb but purchasing cycle helmets with a face guard can save your life. Head trauma is the #1 reason people are killed in tornados. The face guard will also help with flying debris. Keep blankets and pillows in your safe area to cover your body and protect you from flying debris. If it's big enough, a spare mattress.

Get a very large backpack that you can carry on your shoulders. Adapt to whatever you think you might need. Keep the bag handy to where you can grab it in a moments notice. You may want a separate bag for each person. Take into consideration you need supplies for ALL members of the family and it won't all fit in one bag. If you are hit by a tornado, you can't try to lug a large tote on wheels and it will probably be blown away. The backpack stays on your body.

5 Water bottles per person in your house
2 Energy Bars per person in your house
5 bags of Dried Fruit
Pain Reliever
Flashlight + Batteries (Or a Crank Flashlight)
a medium sized pack of batteries
Glow Sticks - Don't use candles. Gas leaks could be present.
Mylar Blanket
or two small blankets
a whistle
a permanent marker
a small radio, preferably a self-powered radio
the best out there is "Eton" brand. It is self powered and you can get it at Walmart or Radio Shack. It has a weather broadcast, flashlight built in, emergency siren, alert light and it will also recharge your cell phone battery. Otherwise: Get a crank radio or battery radio with lots of extra batteries. 
a plastic bag
a hand-powered can opener
Canned food 
a few small plastic dishes and silverware
a cell phone
Duct Tape <- Trust me Duct Tape can save your life !!!! 
a first aid kit
money (preferably small bills)
Book/ Reading material a Map is a great idea
a car charger for your cell phone
Extra shoes and socks in case you don't have time to put yours on. 
medicines
a spare set of keys to your vehicle and home
a extra change on clothes for each person
anything you may need for pets food, medicine
anything you may need for children medicine teddybear

put this in a large bin in your house where you can easily Grab it and Go in an emergency

During tornado season: (remember they can happen in the middle of the night with no warning or you don't hear the warning until the tornado is on you!)

First Aid Kit This is the basics what you need 

1. Antibiotic Ointment 
2. Antibacterial soap 
3. Burn ointment 
4. Adhesive bandages of all sizes 
5. Medical tape 
6. Gauze pads and large surgical pads (bleeding may be an issue) 
7. Tweezers 
8. Scissors 
9. Thermometer 
10. Eye wash/sterile saline 
11. Moist towelettes 
12. Over the counter: Aleve/Advil/Benadryl 
13. Several pairs of gloves 
14. Household chlorine bleach and an eye dropper - dilute nine parts water to one part bleach it becomes an antisceptic/disinfectant. To decontaminate drinking water - 12 drops per one gallon of water. No fancy colored bleaches or other chemicals! Just regular bleach.
This all may sound silly but you may be without help for an extended period and possibly injured.

by on May. 21, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Yep, we have strong storm warnings in my area.  Sadly, it seems mother nature likes to remind us, who the boss is now and then.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Stay safe!

Quoting Carpy:

Yep, we have strong storm warnings in my area.  Sadly, it seems mother nature likes to remind us, who the boss is now and then.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
The poor people in that area are in my thoughts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thomigirl
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Hubby summed it up for me...the most frightening thing as a parent is that there are just some things that you really can't protect your children from.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Very true. But, you can do the best you can to help them know how to be prepared.

Quoting Thomigirl:

Hubby summed it up for me...the most frightening thing as a parent is that there are just some things that you really can't protect your children from.

Thomigirl
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:30 AM

How do you eally prepare for something like? When we had the tornado here in western Massachusetts that took out buildings it was a surprise.

Quoting stormcris:

Very true. But, you can do the best you can to help them know how to be prepared.

Quoting Thomigirl:

stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2013 at 7:36 AM
1 mom liked this

They had twenty minutes of warning before the twister touched down on this one.

You preform drills and have a plan of action and learn to listen and watch for such weather. Nothing is fool proof but having a sound plan makes it safer. Also you make sure each member of the family has a bug out bag. A bug out bag can make a lot of difference they are still finding people who are trapped so having one can help you do triage and have water and nourishment that for some can make the difference between life and death. People cannot prepare for everything but they can prepare for a lot.

Quoting Thomigirl:

How do you eally prepare for something like? When we had the tornado here in western Massachusetts that took out buildings it was a surprise.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Thomigirl:

rfurlongg
by on May. 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM
So true. We are under storm / tornado watch all day today.

Quoting Thomigirl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope you and yours remain safe.

Quoting rfurlongg:

So true. We are under storm / tornado watch all day today.

Quoting Thomigirl:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:07 AM
2 moms liked this
When I was ten, in Indiana me and two of my niece's decided to go fishing at the ponds. it was a Sunday and we were having a family get-together. The ponds were just outside of town, but there was a private pond across a field. We left our bikes and trekked across the field to fish where we weren't supposed to. It got real dark to the west and we decided we better head home, when the tornado siren went off. Thanks to years of education from parents and schools we knew what we need to do. My niece Rhonda who was the oldest by a couple years took charge. She had us go into position by the house which was built into a hillside. We huddled there and watched as the biggest tornado I had ever seen went right over us and touched down about half a mile away. The fire Dept and police and others were out trying to find us since our bikes were at the public pond and we weren't. My brother finally found us. I was in panic mode worrying about my new bike. Pissed my brother off so bad he really jumped my ass for that. lol. Natesmom can confirm that one. She and her husband and one of her son were also on the hunt for us.

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Thomigirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)