Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

20 Children Are Among the 51 Dead After Nightmare Oklahoma Tornado (VIDEO)

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
  • 9 Replies

20 Children Are Among the 51 Dead After Nightmare Oklahoma Tornado (VIDEO)

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Oklhahoma tornadoThe initial death toll for the devastating 2-mile wide tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma for a shocking 40 minutes Monday afternoon is 51. Though it will likely continue to climb, at least 20 of the dead are children. It is an absolute nightmare scenario, a tragedy beyond any kind of comprehension.

The state's medical examiner's office said the office anticipates 40 more deaths from the Monday's twister. This is not a movie. This is real life. It is possibly the worst tornado in history and is coming on the heels of so many tragedies in this past few months, it is almost impossible to process.

For those in the path of the storm, things were fine one minute and 10 minutes later, everything was destroyed. It is the kind of thing that makes you ask why? Why do things this after happen? There is no explanation.

There are heroes, of course. Teachers who embraced scared children and comforted them before their parents could arrive. Teachers who led students out of the schools, holding their hands and carrying them. The photos are profound and moving. Just as they were from another school tragedy just a few months ago. After the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary, teachers were heroes.

Now we see this again at Plaza Towers Elementary School and Briarwood Elementary School in Moore, Oklahoma. Teachers are heroes.

As a parent, I know this every single day when I send my children to school. They come home full of excitement and new information. But I also trust my children's teachers with their lives and, for the most part, I think that trust is well placed.

People always pay lip service to teachers not being paid enough, but then bash them when it comes to union negotiations and such. How many school tragedies is it going to take for us to look at the selflessness of teachers. They are bloodied and battered in the photos out of Oklahoma, but they are still carrying children. They are still thinking of our babies first.

There are no words for my gratitude and appreciation of those teachers and my sorrow at the many losses in Oklahoma yesterday. Many were asking how to explain these deaths to children and there probably is no way. At least none that makes sense.

How can we possibly explain a storm as massive as this one that can come along on a perfectly normal day and destroy everything in its path.

See footage below:

My heart is breaking for Oklahoma. We have to focus on the good -- the heroes -- or we will lose our minds. But I can't stray far from the sobering and horrifying facts of this situation. When all is said and done, close to 100 people may have lost their lives on a perfect May afternoon. That is just simply beyond comprehension or reason.

Have you seen any heroic stories that moved you?

by on May. 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

The last 2 seconds of that video break my heart.

AimSnapHolz
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Mine too.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

Shaylyn318
by on May. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM

That is sad but I saw a video earlier that made me cry. A mom was with her two kids. They took shelter in the bathtub, their whole house was ripped away and she almost lost her dd. She held onto her by her hair as the tornado tried to take her. I will see if I can find the video again. It is also at the end of the video.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Just heartbroken. Don't know what else to say. My prayers are with them all. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

:(

ummcarter
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

We need Crates and Kennels for dogs and cats. If you can help, they can be dropped off at the Cleveland County Fairgrounds at 615 E Robinson St Norman, OK or the Norman Animal Shelter at 3428 S Jenkins Ave
Jenn_A
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You can blow us up,
But you can't break us down.
We will rebuild,
In every town.
When 1 man falls,
10 will rise.
To dust him off,
And stand by his side.
Our hearts are broken,
For those we've lost.
Homes destroyed,
Vehicles tossed.
Takes more than wind,
To break our stride.
Standing united,
That's Oklahoma pride.

Most drop sites are now requesting that all donations (except money) be held, because they just have too much. Several fire departments took truck loads of water left from the donations to the firefighters last fall. People ask why I stay in Oklahoma- that is why!

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on May. 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM

The fatality count has been lowered to 24, including 9 children; apparently there was some double counting earlier. Officials say that it's likely to go up again as more people are discovered. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)