Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Asks Atheist Tornado Survivor If She ‘Thanked The Lord’

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 34 Replies
NN’s Wolf Blitzer demonstrated why you should never assume someone believes in God while interviewing a survivor of the Oklahoma tornado Tuesday afternoon. Blitzer spoke to a young woman named Rebecca, who escaped with her 19-month-old son just moments before the tornado destroyed their home.While their narrow escape from harm may have seemed miraculous, Rebecca evidently didn’t see it that way. At the end of the interview, Blitzer told her, “You’re blessed. Brian, your husband is blessed. Anders is blessed… I guess you got to thank the lord, right?” When the woman shrugged off the question, he repeated it, asking, “Do you thank the lord for that split-second decision?”“I–I’m actually an atheist,” she responded. After the awkward laughter that followed, she added, “We are here and you know, I don’t blame anybody for thanking the lord.”“Of course not,” Blitzer replied.Watch video below, via CNN:
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-wolf-blitzer-asks-atheist-tornado-survivor-if-she-thanked-the-lord/
by on May. 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
lol. Hey, if making it out of that alive doesn't make you a believer, nothing will.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Dumbass.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I say thank god all the time and i'm an atheist.

It's a common cliche.

Goodwoman614
by Satan on May. 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

I say thank god all the time and i'm an atheist.

It's a common cliche.

Yes. I think for most people, the meaning behind it is "I sure am glad/relieved/happy that..."

tiffyhamm
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

For some reason my computer is acting all crazy when I'm trying to look at the video (no fault with the link, just sucky connection), did it look like Wolf could've have mistaken her silence for not really paying attention to the question or not hearing him properly and that's why he repeated himself?  If so, I would say it was an honest mistake on his part and from what I can tell from the OP, she appears to have handled it well...well, as well as she could have.  

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:03 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Seasidegirl:

lol. Hey, if making it out of that alive doesn't make you a believer, nothing will.

I don't follow that logic. If God exist and is throwing Tornado's at cities while killing kids and adults I would not thank him for it if I survived. I would scorn him and expect him to be asking for forgiveness of those people involved.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

carlyshort
by on May. 22, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I have never prayed a day in life but after having to throw my kids under a mattress in or hall and hearing our meteorologists say get out if you're not underground, you can bet your ass I prayed.

It missed us by 5 miles.

Did I feel guilty? Oh hell yes. But I was terrified for my kids. They were the only ones who fit under that mattress so had it hit, they would have been parentless, had they even survived at all.

And yes once it fizzled back into the sky, Ithanked God..even though I'm not one to be a believer..but I did feel extremely guilty for it later.
numonestunar
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 12:34 AM
It was hell down there. It destroyed so many families. I prayed, my atheist husband prayed while we were on the phone because it was headed straight for me and my job. I was so scared and worried about my kids. It is surreal knowing a F5 tornado is headed toward you...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DangerDarling
by Fabulous on May. 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM
4 moms liked this

Hey, I know her! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)