Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Facebook and your employer, can they really do this ???

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 103 Replies

My employer has a new policy about social networking and it requires that every employee be facebook friends with the two top managers and they will be monitoring are accounts. It also states that posting something on FB like " sick of the drama at work" is prohibited. As well as violent and offensive posts. I can't find the paper with the exact wording but if I find it I will post how it was written. 

I'm angry. I'm 99% certain that this is mostly targeting a few employees who are friends with customers and have horrible judgment. They talk about work related things when they shouldn't and to top that, they're negative and inappropriate . Even so, I'm mad. My manager made it a point to tell me she tried to send me a friend request but was at home and couldn't spell my last name. I'm not sending her a request. I do not have one co worker or customer or any work related person as a friend on facebook. I never mention work on facebook. Not about my current job or any previous one but it still angers me! It's the principle damn it. Do employers really have the right to monitor your FB?

by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by on May. 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I don't think they can require you because they want to make sure bad judgment isn't going around. I'm friends with some of my old employees and we had to sign a statement saying we wouldn't talk smack about others or the work place but I was not required to become friends with anyone and I would have had a field day had they said that.
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I don't think they do the funny thing was anyone who was my supervisor I have friended them and they all pretty much quit the job after a while. I think this policy that they have seems a bit much
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I would just tell them no, but my account is private. People who aren't my friends can't search for me.

No clue if it's legal.

MANILOVE
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:34 PM
That is crazy, I really would like to know can employer do that. Once you clock out they have no business to intefer with your peronal life. I really don't see the reason employer need to be in your fb. I personally don't talk about where I work on fb. but there are people out there that do that, I even see some that friend patient on their fb. Some people just don't know how to separate the two. Tell them you share fb aciint with yiur spouse an since he doesn't work for the comanpay you are no obligated to reveal his fb to them...Or change your name, I don't use my real name on fb
rfhsure
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if that is or isnt allowed in their policies, but I don't disagree with it if they do. Your facebook is your public profile, and how you want others to see you, why exclude your employer from that? Everyone else on your facebook gets to know whatever you post, and if someone is being irresponsible about how they use social networking than it also can indicate they may not be responsible in other aspects of life. If you have to add them, it's not like you can't change your privacy settings so they can't see everything you post.

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I'm afraid of retaliation basically my manager has very strong religious and political views that are the polar opposite of mine. I'm not so sure she would be able to be impartial if she knew my beliefs. I don't ever post about religion on facebook but I occasionally comment on a political joke if I think it's funny. I'm sure she might find somethings I post, off color.  

My boss also sees herself as more than a boss, she sees herself as a mentor and guide. She would definately guide me in another direction, lol. She loves me as an employee and tells me often how good I am. So that ought to be enough. 

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:49 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting rfhsure:

I don't know if that is or isnt allowed in their policies, but I don't disagree with it if they do. Your facebook is your public profile, and how you want others to see you, why exclude your employer from that? Everyone else on your facebook gets to know whatever you post, and if someone is being irresponsible about how they use social networking than it also can indicate they may not be responsible in other aspects of life. If you have to add them, it's not like you can't change your privacy settings so they can't see everything you post.

I see no reason for my boss to monitor my FB account. I should hope she has better and more important things to do with her time. I get very good evaluations at work. My managers frequently compliment my work. My job performance ought to speak for itself and be enough. 

All an employer needs to know about an employee is their performance at work, nothing more, nothing less. 

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
What you do outside of work can hurt the bottom line. Expect more and more to demand it since this current generation has a huge chunk that had no sense of decency or class.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM

My boss is on my facebook and just as crazy as I am....

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:54 PM

The likelihood is that the employer probably will not. There is always potential for people associated with the company, or clients of the company who might see the facebook of its employees and call the company out on things they find inappropriate. Is it fair? no, I suppose not. But it would make sense that a company would want to be sure that it's employees appear respectable as it helps them save face. Its just part of being emplyed, you're under their thumb to a certain extent.

Quoting KreatingMe:

Quoting rfhsure:

I see no reason for my boss to monitor my FB account. I should hope she has better and more important things to do with her time. I get very good evaluations at work. My managers frequently compliment my work. My job performance ought to speak for itself and be enough. 

All an employer needs to know about an employee is their performance at work, nothing more, nothing less. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)