Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if your children took part in a riot?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 88 Replies

Youths riot in Sweden for third night

Hundreds of youths set fire to cars and attacked police and rescue services in poor immigrant suburbs in three nights of rioting in Stockholm, Sweden’s worst disorder in years.

Last night, a police station in the Jakobsberg area in the northwest of the city was attacked, two schools were damaged and an arts and crafts centre was set ablaze, despite a call for calm from Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt.

The riots in one of Europe’s richest capitals have shocked a country that prides itself on a reputation for social justice, and fuelled a debate about how Sweden is coping with both youth unemployment and an influx of immigrants.

“We’ve had around 30 cars set on fire last night, fires that we connect to youth gangs and criminals,” Kjell Lindgren, spokesman for Stockholm police, said today.

He said eight people had been arrested last night, but there were no reports of injuries.

The riots appear to have been sparked by the police killing of a 69-year-old man wielding a machete in the suburb of Husby this month, which prompted accusations of police brutality.

“Everyone must pitch in to restore calm - parents, adults,” Mr Reinfeldt told reporters on Tuesday.

After decades of practising the “Swedish model” of generous welfare benefits, Sweden has been reducing the role of the state since the 1990s, spurring the fastest growth in inequality of any advanced OECD economy.

While average living standards are still among the highest in Europe, governments have failed to substantially reduce long-term youth unemployment and poverty, which have affected immigrant communities worst.

The left-leaning tabloid Aftonbladet said the riots represented a “gigantic failure” of government policies, which had underpinned the rise of ghettos in the suburbs.

“We have failed to give many of the people in the suburbs a hope for the future,” Anna-Margrethe Livh of the opposition Left Party wrote in the daily Svenska Dagbladet.

An anti-immigrant party, the Sweden Democrats, has risen to third in polls ahead of a general election due next year, reflecting unease about immigrants among many voters.

Some 15 percent of the population is foreign-born, the highest proportion in the Nordic region. Unemployment among those born outside Sweden stands at 16 per cent, compared with 6 per cent for native Swedes, according to OECD data.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/youths-riot-in-sweden-for-third-night-1.1402685

by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess it really depends on the riot... and if they brought me home a new tv :) lol /s

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I would let them be arrested and jailed.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM

No matter what the reason was?

Quoting EireLass:

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Me too.

Quoting EireLass:

Aislinn
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Oh, nothing good, that is for sure. I am not going to write it down, I do not want any evidence popping up in a few years...lmao

Aislinn
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting EireLass:

I cannot think of any good reasons to riot. Protest, yes. Riot? No. Innocent people get harmed and innocents property gets destroyed. Having said that, throw some scenarios at me. Maybe you can change my mind. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I wonder if most of the youth rioting are immigrants?  Is it a low economic suburb that was rioted?  Is there a history of brutality against immigrants?

To the OP.  I like another PP would let them be arrested and jailed.  Rioting is not something I would agree with.  Protest ...no problems.  Rioting is violent.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Being starved, being held in a position where you are under suppresion in such a way that you cannot provide for you and your famlies basic needs, being under Martial Law in which people are being taken and subjected to torture or being killed ...

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting EireLass:

I cannot think of any good reasons to riot. Protest, yes. Riot? No. Innocent people get harmed and innocents property gets destroyed. Having said that, throw some scenarios at me. Maybe you can change my mind. 

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Exactly! When you hurt others or damage the property of others you face the consequences. I would absolutely back them if it were done respectfully. When my kids are fussing I tell them its ok to be upset and voice your reasons but its not ok to be rude or hurtful.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting EireLass:

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Face the legal consequences. Riots because you are prissy and destructive is not OK and does more harm to your cause than good. Look at the Occupy movement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured