Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Yoga a religion?

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 87 Replies

Is yoga a religion?

That's what a California judge must decide as a lawsuit regarding teaching yoga in public schools goes to trial.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of parents Stephen and Jennifer Sedlock, who contend that yoga is religious in nature and that opting out of the program in public schools would cost their children time that should be devoted to physical education, Fox5SanDiego.com reports.

Ashtanga yoga is currently offered in place of physical education in the Encinitas County school district.

"If you asked me what's the most religious form of yoga, I would pick Ashtanga as my No. 1," expert witness Dr. Candy Brown testified.

Brown testified she believes there's a conspiracy at work to trick students into a spiritual practice through yoga, Fox5SanDiego.com reports.

The yoga classes began after the KP Jois Foundations gave the school district $500,000 to fund the health and wellness program. The foundation says its curriculum "uses the techniques of yoga, meditation and proper nutrition to create a positive lifestyle change" for students.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/22/california-judge-weighs-whether-yoga-is-considered-religion/#ixzz2U1tcqhIC
by on May. 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM
9 moms liked this

Jainism is the religion. Buddhism is a religon. Yoga is just a practice. If they are not promoting one of the associated religions, then no. 

And good grief at people trying to nit pick everything...we need less anger and this is good for that.

lancet98
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Yoga is a form of exercise, a practice or discipline.

It is like most of the martial arts, which also originally had religious association, but don't any longer.

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 22, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Not a religion. Not even a little bit.

Religion never made my muscles sore...today, I can barely walk between yoga last night and lifting today. Should have put more than 10 hours between workouts!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Oh gosh if it is I am in trouble!  I practice Yoga and Catholicism. Of course, I have never had a yoga class that featured any type of faith stuff.

romalove
by Roma on May. 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM
6 moms liked this

No, and every time someone complains about it being religious I want to bang my head against the wall lol.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting GLWerth:

Religion never made my muscles sore...today, I can barely walk between yoga last night and lifting today. Should have put more than 10 hours between workouts!

I'd call it torture more than a religion.

acrogodess
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh ffs, really? Trick the children into spiritual practice through yoga? The stupidity in this world never ceases to amaze me.

Yoga like martial arts was practiced within the confines of religion in order to discipline the mind and body. Yoga however is NOT a religion in and of itself and so long as they are not being taught actual religious teachings with the yoga, then it is an excellent alternative to physical ed which many children find boring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 22, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Quoting romalove:

No, and every time someone complains about it being religious I want to bang my head against the wall lol.

yup

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 22, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting GLWerth:

I'd call it torture more than a religion.

My husband comes with me and he is not very flexible. Last night, she went through this pose and literally, everyone in class started laughing when they saw what she wanted us to do.

We gave it a try, but I suspect the room looked kind of like a weird Goya painting in modern exercise clothing as each of us tried to get our bodies to do that. I admit it, I was one of the ones who fell over.  

It does, however, keep my back and neck in alignment, but it is a WAY harder workout than I was led to believe.

grandmotherof6
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

you have to have patient to do yoga

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured