Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hot Topic---I think! Girls and Makeup

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 71 Replies

My Mom let me start wearing makeup when I was in 1st grade. So I was probably six or seven. I also started babysitting my one year old brother full time at age seven, cooked full on dinners at age seven, etc... Anyway, my niece is nine and her Mom lets her wear make up outside of school, whenever she wants. My Mom is pissed about it because she has them two days and week and says it makes my niece look cheap. I disagree and think that my niece is just playing dress up. Most little girls do try to look older. I wouldn't encourage it but I wouldn't make her feel bad about herself either. She doesn't dress skimpy, she actually dresses a lot like Punky Brewster. Mismatched shoes and all. I think it is a bit hypocritical of my Mom too. As an adult I wash my face in the morning, put on lotion, mascara and lip gloss. My daughter is almost six and I am totally cool with her wearing lip gloss. As for the other makeup, I will consider it when she is older. So how young is too young to wear make up for a little girl?

ETA**

Interesting points of view.  My Aunt (Mom's sister) has three girls.  They are all grown with their own girls now but I remember when we were kids, (I am talking 11, 12, 13 and up) they would get in trouble if they did not "put their face on" first thing in the morning.  They wore full on base, powder, lipstick, eye shadow, blush, mascara.  My Mom always said it was a Texas thing but I don't really think so, because I never did that.  Maybe it was an E. Texas thing?  Or maybe my Aunt was a bit insane.  Either way, meh.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I think 13 is a good age, but I'm not gonna encourage it until later, especially with puberty coming up. I don't want them to have clogged oily skin with an already bad case of acne.

tscritch
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

As a mom of 3 dds...I'm not sure when I will let them wear makeup. The oldest is only 6 now so it really isn't a concern yet. I do let them do dress up makeup occasionally because it's fun. I try to tell them that they are beautiful and don't need makeup.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think 13 is a good age too.  I would probably be okay with 12 but I think maturity would likely play the role and intent.  Why do they want to wear make up?  Does it make them feel more put together or do they think they might get attention for it? 

Quoting -Celestial-:

I think 13 is a good age, but I'm not gonna encourage it until later, especially with puberty coming up. I don't want them to have clogged oily skin with an already bad case of acne.

coliemamiof2
by Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I think kids should be allowed to experiment with makeup at any age (but once they are done, take it off) but to actually wear makeup...that goes for the maturity of a young lady. If they are mature & don't paint their faces too much at a young age then I would safely assume they can wear makeup...but if they are doing a party-get-up just to go to school then it's time to take off the war paint :)
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

My girls were not allowed to wear any thing at all until around age 13.  And then, or now with my 13 year old, it is only mascera if she wants, on a daily basis.  Nothing at all on her face overall.  No foundation, powder.  

Once in a while she tries eye shadows.  Neautral colors I don't really mind as long as she does not put on too much.  Absolutely no eye liner at all.  Especially black.  

I see far too many young girls with so much make up on their faces.  It's not necessary and really, they only look harsh and what it is doing to their complexion......yuck.

Dress up when the girls were little was fun.  But again, nothing all over their faces.  It was not an every day thing and they did not go out like that every day.  I loved the mix matched and letting them express themselves. 

For all the 'bitching' I did with my older two, as they got older, about the make up and stuff, they get it now.  lol  They are 21 and 18 and both wear very little if any at all, on a daily basis.  Once in a while they may glam it up and it's fun.  But they got the overall message that making up your face every day isn't necessary.

Many of the friends of my 13 year old look like clowns in that they are either wearing too much of they are not applying it correctly.  

I am waiting for the day when my 13 year old comes home from school and has either forgotten to take all that crap off her face or, in doing so, failed to remove it all.  lol  I know I tried that, as did my older girls.

I just don't see the necessity to wearing too much make up.  

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My 7 year old LOVES makeup. If allowed, she would go out with a full face of makeup...of course, she'd look like a clown. She can apply mascara better than I can. She loves her lip glosses, eye shadows, and blushes. When she goes to school, she can wear lip gloss. On the weekends, she can wear more as long as it's not ridiculous looking.

She makes her own "makeup tutorials" to upload to Youtube. They're absolutely hilarious and if you followed it...let's just say you'd be using Prep H wipes on your face to wipe the make up off.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM

LOL

Quoting lizmarie1975:

My 7 year old LOVES makeup. If allowed, she would go out with a full face of makeup...of course, she'd look like a clown. She's apply mascara better than I can. She loves her lip glosses, eye shadows, and blushes. When she goes to school, she can wear lip gloss. On the weekends, she can wear more as long as it's not ridiculous looking.

She makes her own "makeup tutorials" to upload to Youtube. They're absolutely hilarious and if you followed it...let's just say you'd be using Prep H wipes on your face to wipe the make up off.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 22, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I think its just in the woman's genes to want to wear makeup and look beautiful. I know I did when I was young, watching mom do it and all. Since becoming older I'm not really into it. I only put on mascara to go to work.

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

I think 13 is a good age too.  I would probably be okay with 12 but I think maturity would likely play the role and intent.  Why do they want to wear make up?  Does it make them feel more put together or do they think they might get attention for it? 

Quoting -Celestial-:

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I agree. The older I get, the less I wear. When I worked in a corporate setting I wore more makeup. Now, that I work from home, I barely wear any. I use foundation only to even out my skin tone...and in the summers I don't even use that.

Quoting -Celestial-:

I think its just in the woman's genes to want to wear makeup and look beautiful. I know I did when I was young, watching mom do it and all. Since becoming older I'm not really into it. I only put on mascara to go to work.

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

Quoting -Celestial-:

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Guess it depends on the image you want to put out there.

Dress up is one thing, but that is isolated. "Wearing makeup" in public, to school etc. is a different story. I'm thinking if your mom says the little girl "looks cheap" she probably does look that way.

My daughter is 14 and wears a little lip gloss and occassionally mascara, and a bit of cover up when needed. She's not into it, and looks lovely the way she is. I even brought her to a good friend cosmotologist and set her up with very nice, expensive makeups and she got a lesson how how to use them properly and look natural at the same time. Sadly, most of the girls in her class use far too much, don't apply it properly and the attention follows.

My sons (who are 14-16) say the girls look like raccoons in heat :)

I'd be fine with my daughter at 14 wants to wear a bit more, she's just learning by watching the negative attention that the others get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)