Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My naive question about Pot

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 24 Replies

I admit that overall the issue of pot is not something I'm overly interested in and I'll admit that I'm naive on the topic of how pot may or may not impact our food products.  Say if we start feeding the scraps to livestock, will trace amounts of it show up in our food supply?  If it does, what possible impact would that have on those that consume it.  

Anyone know?  

Here is why I ask: 

Chalk up ‘pot pigs’ to unforeseen consequences of legal marijuana

If anyone thinks they know how all this legal marijuana stuff is going to play out … well, they’re pretty much kidding themselves. Oh, sure, we can tie down some probabilities with a thick book of new rules and regulations, but there will be plenty of surprises.

Case in point?

BB Ranch using cannabis scraps to feed its pigs … and to get international attention!

From the ranch’s head writer:

Now that pot is legal in Washington State cannabis farmers are having the same problem other farmers have always had. What to do with the parts of the marijuana plant that weren’t good for, well, pot! It turns out that all those useless stems, and oversized leaves are great feed for pigs so the folks at Top Shelf Organic are donating their waste to the ranchers at Bucking Boar Farm in Snohomish. This cooperative act of sustainable farming not only reduces waste costs for Top Shelf and reduces feed costs for Bucking Boar it produces some amazing pigs …

Here’s the ranch’s promo video:

What will they think of next? Could be just about anything. Despite the best efforts of the smartest minds, when you create a new economic opportunity in this country, there will be someone capitalizing on every possibly nook, cranny and grey area.

by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Is that why I felt so happy the last time I ate pork chops? LOL

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
9 moms liked this

It does explain why bacon is so wonderful.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Is that why I felt so happy the last time I ate pork chops? LOL

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM
4 moms liked this

Zero. The THC concentration is weed is in the bud, not in the leaves and stems. You can buy hemp foods and the health food store.

katy_kay08
by on May. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you for answering.  That helps.  

Quoting UpSheRises:

Zero. The THC concentration is weed is in the bud, not in the leaves and stems. You can buy hemp foods and the health food store.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Love the pork chop and bacon replies : ) 

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this

If only it worked that way. :-)

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM

For any type of 'feeling' it has to be heated. So just eating it as leaves, etc, isn't doing anything.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Beats making more landfill...

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

it wont do anything. The stems contain no THC. so if there is an outrage about it, it's useless.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM

If the stems had any viable amount of thc, they'd harvest it.  There's not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)