Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Battle lines are drawn

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:37 AM
  • 42 Replies

In the wake of the tragedy in Aurora, Colorado passed some of the strictest gun control measures in the country.

But in recent months, an overwhelming 55 of the state’s 62 county sheriffs have joined a lawsuit aiming to block the measures.

“These bills do absolutely nothing to make Colorado a safer place to live, to work, to play or to raise a family,” Weld County Sheriff John Cooke explained at a recent press conference. “Instead these misguided, unconstitutional bills will have the opposite effect because they greatly restrict the right of decent, law-abiding citizens to defend themselves, their families and their homes.”

Sheriff Terry Maketa of El Paso County is one of the opposing sheriffs, and he explained on TheBlaze TV Wednesday how the public was “duped” into supporting overly vague legislation banning high-capacity magazines and requiring background checks.

Maketa says they believe the laws are unenforceable, but also violate the Second and Fourteenth Amendments.

After explaining the tactics used to pass the bills that essentially “eliminated all public input,” Maketa reiterated that it’s clearly an “overreaching step” for politicians to claim law enforcement supports stricter gun control.

When asked by Pat Gray whether he and other sheriffs are “getting flak” for standing against the stricter measures, Maketa replied that it’s the “exact opposite.”

“I would say the communications I’ve received are 99% in favor,” he added.

“I think Colorado is the epicenter of this battle, and 55 Colorado sheriffs have drawn a line in the sand and said ‘We’re not going to tolerate it,’ he concluded.  “[The laws] are unenforceable…and we certainly are not going to compromise citizens’ rights [to claim] that we are.”

Minnow Slayer

by on May. 23, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 23, 2013 at 6:45 AM
2 moms liked this

There are so many ways to inflict violence and harm on people, some even more violent that guns. However, these laws are meant to create the illusion of safety. Are they effective? From the standpoint of looking at CA, it seems they are not. It seems they create an opposite effect. The question then posed are we supposed to stand around and do nothing. No, but perhaps a better use of time and energy (and money) would be to find out what is. Free yoga classes, anger management, perhaps some free or reduced cost mental health clinics that were not impossible to get an appointment. Programs that establish a greater sense of community and inclusion. Just some ideas....

Proud2BWeird
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 6:46 AM
Finally, coverage of people with some sense! Most of the police officers I've known have been very supportive of the second amendment.
Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Our county sheriff has a really awesome wood carving dedicated to the second amendment. He and the state police post beside me are happy as hell to have a gun shop back in the area.

Quoting Proud2BWeird:

Finally, coverage of people with some sense! Most of the police officers I've known have been very supportive of the second amendment.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

But in recent months, an overwhelming 55 of the state’s 62 county sheriffs have joined a lawsuit aiming to block the measures.

Apparently they don't know their place. I hope they are all charged and ousted for failing to uphold the law

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this
They "don't know their place"?

You are SICK

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

Apparently they don't know their place. I hope they are all charged and ousted for failing to uphold the law

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I guess the problem for me is that gun advocates love to criticize gun control measures but they offer no solutions aside from "buy a gun".

Surely there is something we can do to combat gun violence. Why is "do nothing" the only reasonable answer?

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 23, 2013 at 12:24 PM

So, they are not doing their job? Awesome.

It's ok that they don't agree with it.. but they have brought their jobs into it and honestly, that bothers me. If they had just joined the lawsuit without stating they were members of the police force, i would support them. now.. I just hope they are disciplined for it.

garnet83
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Your other option is for everyone to walk around wearing bullet proof vests.  Granted, you're screwed if they shoot you in the head.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I guess the problem for me is that gun advocates love to criticize gun control measures but they offer no solutions aside from "buy a gun".

Surely there is something we can do to combat gun violence. Why is "do nothing" the only reasonable answer?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Helmets? 

Quoting garnet83:

Your other option is for everyone to walk around wearing bullet proof vests.  Granted, you're screwed if they shoot you in the head.

Quoting UpSheRises:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly, this is akin to people not liking a law and choosing to break it ...

If you take a job in law enforcement, your JOB is to ENFORCE the laws..leaving your political and religious OUT OF IT

Quoting Sekirei:

So, they are not doing their job? Awesome.

It's ok that they don't agree with it.. but they have brought their jobs into it and honestly, that bothers me. If they had just joined the lawsuit without stating they were members of the police force, i would support them. now.. I just hope they are disciplined for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN