Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sisters Ejected From Mall for ‘Vulgar’ Cancer-Fighting Shirts While Buying Dresses for Mother’s Funeral

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 68 Replies
Sisters Ejected From Mall for ‘Vulgar’ Cancer-Fighting Shirts While Buying Dresses for Mother’s Funeral

by Lindsay Mannering

breast cancerThere's a time and a place for an F-bomb, but sometimes, it's OK to say eff it and break all the rules. Three sisters were shopping for funeral dresses in the King of Prussia mall in Philadelphia on Sunday when they were asked to leave. Their mother had just passed away from breast cancer, and Makia Underwood, 32, Zakia Clark, 29, and Tasha Clark, 27, felt like expressing their feelings. Wearing shirts and hats that read "Fu*k Cancer," the sisters were ejected from the mall by seven security guards who did not appreciate the profanity.

Even though the F-word wasn't totally written out -- the "c" had been replaced with a pink ribbon -- it was still enough for security to get heated. According to Zakia, they were approached in the food court by a team of guards asking them to leave and threatening to call the cops. She says the whole ordeal was extremely embarrassing.

Listen, I get where security is coming from here. There are probably hard and fast rules about vulgarity in their private establishment, but guys, express a little free-will. These women weren't trying to cause trouble, they were expressing a feeling that most people have about the deadly disease.

I know gray areas aren't fair and rules should apply to everyone lest they become discriminatory -- but the mall handled this pretty poorly. Seven guards? Egregious. They should've sent one guard over to explain the situation and ask them to turn their shirts inside-out, or put on a coat, or something.

I can't help but feel for these women who lost their mom at 51 -- I'm sure they're terribly angry and sad and maybe their rebellious shirts helped them cope a little.

It's just too bad the mall couldn't have had at least one ounce of sympathy, even if rules are rules.

What do you think?

by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macbudsmom
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this

I am sorry for their loss and I understand the sentiment, but I don't believe in wearing potentially offensive clothes.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this
That's stupid! I've seen much worse! And I agree, Fu*k cancer! It's killing my mom :(
prommy
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:28 AM
3 moms liked this

I bet security ignores high school kids who walk through the mall swearing all the time.  It's easier to harass 3 young women than it is to get on kids who may fight back or tell the securtiy guard to

Fupink ribbonk off.

lazycervix
by Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:36 AM

This is just silly I bet it's okay for teens to walk around with half their ass hanging out of their shorts but these t-shirts are jus so offenssive please this is dumb

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
7 moms liked this

I think they are vulgar and not appropriate for public. That kind of language is for use in the privacy of your home or car.

Grieving or not they should have enough respect for general public to have known better.

candlegal
by Judy on May. 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Good.

candlegal
by Judy on May. 23, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I agree

Quoting UpSheRises:

I think they are vulgar and not appropriate for public. That kind of language is for use in the privacy of your home or car.

Grieving or not they should have enough respect for general public to have known better.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

If the word is not fully the word then why is there an issue?

F@#% YOU!!! is on a lot of things...go into a specialty gift store or tobacconist.  

Read some of the T-shirts on people.  This is the most pathetic thing yet.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I am sorry for their loss.  They chose to make a statement that violated the rules of the mall.  They could have chose to put the hats in the car and turn their shirts inside out..instead they chose to make a big deal out of it.

Businesses have rules about things for a reason.  I would not shop in a mall if I had to worry about my kids being exposed to that kind of stuff.  They don't get it at home and I will not spend my hard earned dollars at places where they will get it.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

If the word is not fully the word then why is there an issue?

F@#% YOU!!! is on a lot of things...go into a specialty gift store or tobacconist.  

Read some of the T-shirts on people.  This is the most pathetic thing yet.

So.  It is still vulgar and has no place in the general public.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)