Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hunting wolves

Posted by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
  • 163 Replies
2 moms liked this
Michigan has its first wolf season this November. What are your opinions?
by on May. 23, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
2 moms liked this

To quote one of my favorite movies... "You've got some serious thrill issues, dude."

lol

Aamy
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:57 AM
3 moms liked this
Poor wolves.
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I've never had wolf meat... I'm not sure I would like it.
stormcris
by Christy on May. 23, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they need to stop screwing up the balance of nature. 

krysstizzle
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this
They're seriously jumping the gun and I don't like it. I fully understand the importance of wildlife management and controlled culls, but they're not being very responsible managers in this case. The populations size is fairly low and even declining. There is simply no reason for it at this point; the wolves are an important part of the ecosystem.

Is this coming up for a vote? I thought I read that. Its early here, though, so that may be the lack of coffee talking.
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I don't really know anything about the wolf populations in Michigan so I guess I don't really have an opinion on the matter.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

CafeMom Tickers

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
The UP has been the most successful reintroduction to date. I am a huge wolf lover and hate the thought of shooting them. That being said. The loss of fear towards humans is detrimental to the survival of the wolf population. We need to have limited hunts to re instill that fear.

Quoting krysstizzle:

They're seriously jumping the gun and I don't like it. I fully understand the importance of wildlife management and controlled culls, but they're not being very responsible managers in this case. The populations size is fairly low and even declining. There is simply no reason for it at this point; the wolves are an important part of the ecosystem.

Is this coming up for a vote? I thought I read that. Its early here, though, so that may be the lack of coffee talking.

krysstizzle
by on May. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I agree, a loss of fear (on the wolves side) would certainly be detrimental to them in the long run. 

It's tricky. A hunt may very well de-stabilize some packs if the alphas are killed, which will most likely lead to a bigger population overall, at least for a while. I think the decrease in population (that has happened over the past year or so) is a natural balancing out of the top predator population. Not sure what would happen if this hunt happens, though.

Quoting Carpy:

The UP has been the most successful reintroduction to date. I am a huge wolf lover and hate the thought of shooting them. That being said. The loss of fear towards humans is detrimental to the survival of the wolf population. We need to have limited hunts to re instill that fear.

Quoting krysstizzle:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

I think the hunts are a necessary evil.  They are at the top of the food chain with people being their predator.  We are part of that ecosystem.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

For game or sport?  I am not a vegetarian but I had a wolf mix growing up so I could never eat a wolf in my right mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN