Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

To light of a punishment? Misdemeanor for trying to "adopt" out your child.

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 8 Replies

A Texas women charged with trying to adopt out her child on craigslist was free on 1000 dollar bail for the misdemeanor charge for advertising the placement of a child????

RIDICOULOUS in my opinion plus she is pregnant again. She said she wasnt really going to get rid of her baby she was dealing with anxiety and depression...

THOUGHTS???????

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/15/18278988-texas-woman-charged-with-offering-3-year-old-son-for-adoption-on-craigslist?lite&lite=obinsite

by on May. 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Nolanzo
by Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Sigh.

A compelling argument for forced sterilization if there ever was one.

Some people just have zero business procreating.

rgba
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:40 AM
She is just free on bail. That means she isn't a flight risk, and can be free until she is tried and/or convicted. It doesn't mean she will not be punished.

That said, misdemeanor may be too gentle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on May. 24, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Wait this message is a misdemenor? Why?

Hi. I'm trying to adopt out my 3yr old son. I'm not in a good place in my life and don't feel like I can care for him properly but I don't know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. I'm a single mom and can't do this. Thanks, Desperate. 

She is not asking for money and it is not illegal to try to find adoptive parents for a child. Perhaps I am missing part of this story.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. 

Maybe she asked for money somehow? that would count as human trafficking i guess. 

but it doesnt mention that. 

Quoting stormcris:

Wait this message is a misdemenor? Why?

Hi. I'm trying to adopt out my 3yr old son. I'm not in a good place in my life and don't feel like I can care for him properly but I don't know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. I'm a single mom and can't do this. Thanks, Desperate. 

She is not asking for money and it is not illegal to try to find adoptive parents for a child. Perhaps I am missing part of this story.

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

She isn't being fined for trying to have her child adopted,  she's been fined for doing it on craigeslist, which is a misdemeanor.  So a $1,000 fine seems fair. 

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM

OP. Why do you have the word adopt in quotations?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting onethentwins:

She isn't being fined for trying to have her child adopted,  she's been fined for doing it on craigeslist, which is a misdemeanor.  So a $1,000 fine seems fair. 

This.

We do not know her circumstances.  Without that info, I can't really say, one way or another, how I feel about the overall situation.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting Nolanzo:

Sigh.

A compelling argument for forced sterilization if there ever was one.

Some people just have zero business procreating.

This is not a compelling reason at all.

I don't like what this woman did, it offends my senses, but nor do I know her circumstances.  She may very well have been reaching out in the only way she know how to, at the time, and trying to find a better way, a better life, for her child.

She did not attempt to sell him, at least not in this particular ad, nor did she leave him on the side of the road.

We just don't know enough to make such an outrageous assertion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN