Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Holder to investigate....Holder

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

President Obama is a little uneasy with the way journalists have been dragged into the Justice Department’s aggressive pursuit of national security leak investigations. In fact, he has ordered Attorney General Eric Holder to conduct a 45-day review of the department’s guidelines on the issue.

That bit of news was buried in the middle of the president’s hourlong speech today at National Defense University.

“Journalists should not be at legal risk for doing their jobs,” President Obama said. “Our focus must be on those who break the law.”

And then the news: “I have raised these issues with the attorney general, who shares my concern. So he has agreed to review existing Department of Justice guidelines governing investigations that involve reporters, and will convene a group of media organizations to hear their concerns as part of that review. And I have directed the attorney general to report back to me by July 12th.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/05/obama-orders-doj-review-of-leak-investigations/

Attorney General Eric Holder signed off on a controversial search warrant that identified Fox News reporter James Rosen as a “possible co-conspirator” in violations of the Espionage Act and authorized seizure of his private emails, a law enforcement official told NBC News on Thursday.

The disclosure of the attorney general’s role came as President Barack Obama, in a major speech on his counterterrorism policy, said Holder had agreed to review Justice Department guidelines governing investigations that involve journalists.

"I am troubled by the possibility that leak investigations may chill the investigative journalism that holds government accountable," Obama said. "Journalists should not be at legal risk for doing their jobs."

Rosen, who has not been charged in the case, was nonetheless the target of a search warrant that enabled Justice Department investigators to secretly seize his private emails after an FBI agent said he had "asked, solicited and encouraged … (a source) to disclose sensitive United States internal documents and intelligence information." 

Obama's comments follow a firestorm of criticism that has erupted over disclosures that in separate investigations of leaks of classified information, the Justice Department had obtained private emails that Rosen exchanged with a source and the phone records of Associated Press reporters. 

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/23/18451142-holder-okd-search-warrant-for-fox-news-reporters-private-emails-official-says?lite

Minnow Slayer

by on May. 24, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I have to laugh because it is so ridiculously insane.WOW..you would think this to be satire but it is our reality! SMH

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:52 AM
3 moms liked this

The second term is unraveling pretty damn quick.

Quoting tnmomofive:

LOL I have to laugh because it is so ridiculously insane.WOW..you would think this to be satire but it is our reality! SMH

Minnow Slayer

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 6:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Holder need's to be booted off the hill along with Hillarly and others.Actually I wish some of the pubs could be too.And Obama should be impeached.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Yep, there are a number of republicans that could go.

Quoting tnmomofive:

Holder need's to be booted off the hill along with Hillarly and others.Actually I wish some of the pubs could be too.And Obama should be impeached.

Minnow Slayer

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM

BUMP!

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM
3 moms liked this

This is like saying let's let the wolf guard the chicken house.  Can we have an independent investigation please?

stormcris
by Christy on May. 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Can't say I am shocked  unfortunately

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 9:02 AM

BUMP!

grandmab125
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll just bet the liberals, lefties and dems think he just did a really great thing.  LMAO.  It's another one of his moves to make it look like he's actually doing his job.

"Oh looky here....I'm against this kind of thing.  I'm going to have the AG personally investigate this."  Right, having the perpetrator investigate himself.

I just read today that in "all likelihood", Holder signed the order to investigate Rosen, as that's the law.  The AG is the only one who can sign that kind of an order.

finnbar
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Oh my
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)