Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mistrial in Jodi Arias Sentencing Case Means the 'Jodi Show' Continues

Posted by   + Show Post

Mistrial in Jodi Arias Sentencing Case Means the 'Jodi Show' Continues (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

Jodi AriasToday was the day we thought we might finally learn the fate of Jodi Arias, who earlier this month was convicted for the murder of her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander. Instead of learning whether she'd be sentenced to death or life in prison, however, the judge declared a mistrial.

According to USA Today, jurors deliberated for 14 hours over three days, but were unable to reach an agreement. When the judge announced the decision this evening, Arias could be seen breathing a sigh of relief; most of the rest of us are left reeling with the realization that this case will drag out even longer. This is means we have to start over again. This means more Jodi of whom we long, long ago had more than our fill.

The trial began January 2, and it has dominated the media since. We can only imagine how painful it has been for Alexander's family to watch the details of their son's death publicized and in many cases sensationalized.

So as much as we wanted the "Jodi Show" to be over, it's Alexander's family, who must have really felt a blow this afternoon. According to reports, one female juror mouthed "sorry" to the family as they cried after the announcement. Nothing will bring their son back, but to see justice served would at least bring about some closure. Instead, now they must wait longer, watching the trail drag out further.

The good news is that her conviction cannot be overturned. She has been declared a murderer, and that does not just change. It's now up to the prosecutor to decide if they will try for the death penalty again. If so, a new jury will convene July 18. If not (or if a second jury can't reach a decision), then Arias will spend life in prison. In a written statement, via ABC News, Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery said as of yet they're undecided as to what they'll do:

We appreciate the jury's work in the guilt and aggravation phases of the trial and now we will assess, based upon available information, what the next steps will be. As of this point in time, the court has set a status conference for June 20 and we will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase. Because, for purposes of a jury determination on punishment, this is still a pending matter, there will be no further comment.

That means more waiting. More Jodi. More heartache for Alexander's grieving family.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO

Are you surprised the jury was unable to reach agreement in the sentencing of Jodi Arias?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Replies (11-16):
Lizardannie1966
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Throughout this trial, it became clear to the media, those in the court room, those who read her Tweets (a friend would Tweet Jodi's thoughts for her) and even the "Survivor" t-shirts that she talked about selling (or something like that)...and many other examples...that Jodi Arias almost looked at her 4 month + trial like she was the star in a play on stage called "The Jodi Story."

In other words, this was her moment to shine, in her eyes and even after confessing to murdering him. At times, people who watched the trial on TV or were even in the court room stated that she would cry, be solemn and occasionally have to conceal a smile or two. I suppose her emotions were running all over the place but given her behavior and apparent comments to those close to her, she was the belle of the ball with this trial and by the behavior she demonstrated alone in that court room.

Quoting Aestas:

So, apparently I've been living under a rock and hadn't heard about this case until recently. I've read a few articles to try to get the basics, but it's hard to get a full understanding from that.

Why do you say she's a narcissist? Not diasgreeing, I just don't know enough about the case or her.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Where she'll end up staying is not a palatial place IF she does wind up with LWOP.

An ex-boyfriend of my oldest Dd works out at this particular womens prison where Jodi is going to end up. He's a security guard and has described to Sam what he sees on a routine basis there.

As an Arizonan especially, and seeing our tax dollars gobbled up for the past 4+ months by this trial, it's disheartening to find out it could continue to go on for a little while longer.

But my concern is the toll it's going to have on his family and friends, who many have stayed in the court room for the majority if not all of her trial. They just want to see this end. Who wouldn't?

Jodi is a narcissist, among many things and this really IS "The Jodi Show" in her eyes.

Disturbing to say the least.

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I've watched some videos, etc. since I posted, and I see what you mean.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Throughout this trial, it became clear to the media, those in the court room, those who read her Tweets (a friend would Tweet Jodi's thoughts for her) and even the "Survivor" t-shirts that she talked about selling (or something like that)...and many other examples...that Jodi Arias almost looked at her 4 month + trial like she was the star in a play on stage called "The Jodi Story."

In other words, this was her moment to shine, in her eyes and even after confessing to murdering him. At times, people who watched the trial on TV or were even in the court room stated that she would cry, be solemn and occasionally have to conceal a smile or two. I suppose her emotions were running all over the place but given her behavior and apparent comments to those close to her, she was the belle of the ball with this trial and by the behavior she demonstrated alone in that court room.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM

If she does not deserve the death penalty who does?

mnmomusa
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I think this is the point. The familymdoesn't want to have to appear at every parole hearing. None of them live in Az. They've taken 5 months of their lives already, and nowmwill have to an additional time to be there for justice for their brother. I'm sure they feel they have to defend every lie she tells about him, every slanderous thing she says about him, and refute every interview she does. That's what they don't want to have to deal with anymore.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I would most certainly appeal to the parole board each and every time she came up for it.  Her crime defied cruelty, and was exceptionaly brutal.  She's dangerous, manipulative and has predatory issues that frighten the hell out of me. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

It's almost frightening and frustrating to consider that yes, if this continues to be a problem, she could face parole.

However, I would imagine if that does become the case, his parent's and family will be there at ever parole board hearing to help ensure that his murderer is not released.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The hardest part of this trial is over.  Finally, the lies were rejected and she was convicted of the highest possible charge.  Her receiving life without parole would be satisfactory to me, but I am not TA's family and I know they desire the DP in this case.  My biggest concern now is that she never be released.  If the sentencing is let up by the judge, and  should another jury fail to reach a decision, it is a possibly that the judge  could sentence her to 25 years to life; thus opening up an opportunity to be paroled.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Where she'll end up staying is not a palatial place IF she does wind up with LWOP.

An ex-boyfriend of my oldest Dd works out at this particular womens prison where Jodi is going to end up. He's a security guard and has described to Sam what he sees on a routine basis there.

As an Arizonan especially, and seeing our tax dollars gobbled up for the past 4+ months by this trial, it's disheartening to find out it could continue to go on for a little while longer.

But my concern is the toll it's going to have on his family and friends, who many have stayed in the court room for the majority if not all of her trial. They just want to see this end. Who wouldn't?

Jodi is a narcissist, among many things and this really IS "The Jodi Show" in her eyes.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I saw a clip of TA brother addressing the jury during the `aggravation phase' of the trial, and I was nearly brought to tears by the utter agony on his face of what he,  and his entire has been through.  They need this to be over,  This tragedy is most likely the only conversation this family has had with one another over the past five years.  While I am not a advocate of the death penalty, my view has been stretched to the limit with Arias.  She is brutal and a lot of me wants to see her endure brutality as well. 

Quoting mnmomusa:

I think this is the point. The familymdoesn't want to have to appear at every parole hearing. None of them live in Az. They've taken 5 months of their lives already, and nowmwill have to an additional time to be there for justice for their brother. I'm sure they feel they have to defend every lie she tells about him, every slanderous thing she says about him, and refute every interview she does. That's what they don't want to have to deal with anymore.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I would most certainly appeal to the parole board each and every time she came up for it.  Her crime defied cruelty, and was exceptionaly brutal.  She's dangerous, manipulative and has predatory issues that frighten the hell out of me. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

It's almost frightening and frustrating to consider that yes, if this continues to be a problem, she could face parole.

However, I would imagine if that does become the case, his parent's and family will be there at ever parole board hearing to help ensure that his murderer is not released.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

The hardest part of this trial is over.  Finally, the lies were rejected and she was convicted of the highest possible charge.  Her receiving life without parole would be satisfactory to me, but I am not TA's family and I know they desire the DP in this case.  My biggest concern now is that she never be released.  If the sentencing is let up by the judge, and  should another jury fail to reach a decision, it is a possibly that the judge  could sentence her to 25 years to life; thus opening up an opportunity to be paroled.

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

princesskt
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I agree with you that the hardest part of the trial is over..She has been convicted of 1st degree murder.

I feel bad for the Alexander family.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN