Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oops! Sorry Atheists, you're still going to hell

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 40 Replies

After Pope Francis told the world even atheists can go to heaven, the Vatican issued a correction: Atheists are still going to hell.

In response to the media attention, the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, saidthat people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

(Translation: Atheists are going to Hell if they don’t accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour.)

Rosica also said that Francis had “no intention of provoking a theological debate on the nature of salvation,” during his homily on Wednesday.

The current theological confusion began after the leader of the world's 1.2 billion Roman Catholics made comments during the homily of his morning Mass on Wednesday, May 22, indicating that atheists would enjoy the fruits of eternal salvation if they were good people.Francis said:

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone!

We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.

What do you think? Do you believe atheists are worried about getting into heaven? Leave a comment - express yourself.

by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Quite stupid since they don't believe in that either...

angevil53
by on May. 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this
And i still don't care about their imaginary places...

I just want to add i do agree with the quote to a point, where i don't believe in salvation i do think it's everyone's duty to do good. No matter the religion.
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM
6 moms liked this

babie113
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

hell doesn't exist to me so i don't care

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Oh good grief, they still don't get it do they?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:12 PM
3 moms liked this
I think Billy Joel said it best...I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints...the sinners have much more fun.

At the rate everyone is being condemned to hell, it seems like it'll be the place to be!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like the Pope's been demoted.

And he's only had the job for 10 minutes... poor guy.

What kind of jobs do fired popes get?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I do not think atheists are worried at all! Seriously, why would they? They do not believe in heaven or hell any more than they believe in the Catholic God.

Now the faith-filled non-Christian believers? yep- I think there is a problem.

Della529
by Matlock on May. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

As a non-practicing Catholic who left the church a long time ago, I can't stand the CC saying this anymore than I can other religions.

"the Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, said that people who know about the Catholic church “cannot be saved” if they “refuse to enter her or remain in her.”

I despise organized religion.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

As I said in the other way to screw up public relations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)