Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Charlie Sheen is changing his name back to Carlos Estevez

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
  • 27 Replies
Charlie Sheen is going back to his roots for Machete Kills. According to a screengrab obtained by TMZ, Sheen will be billed by his birth name, Carlos Estevez, for the upcoming film.
Though Sheen told Univision last year, "I don't wake up feeling Latino. I'm a white guy in America," it seems he's once again ready to embrace his Latino heritage after changing his name to Charlie at the age of 4. Though Sheen's decision to go by Charlie was simply to avoid confusion with an uncle also named Carlos, when he became an actor, he took on the last name Sheen to follow in the footsteps of his father Martin Sheen. On the other hand, his brother Emilio Estevez kept his birth name.
Returning Summer Shows: Where we left off
Martin Sheen has expressed his sadness at not using his birth name, Ramon Gerardo Antonio Estevez. In a 2003 appearance on Inside the Actors Studio, he told James Lipton, "One of my great regrets is that I didn't keep my name as it was given to me. I knew it bothered my dad."

Hopefully his son's recent decision to go by Carlos Estevez, even temporarily, will make papa proud!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Part of me wonders if he's doing this to try to reverse the negative image he's created of himself with all his crazy antics as of late. 

viv212
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Ugh I can't stand men like him or Chris Brown.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on May. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Probably

I also wonder if denying a part of who he was messed with his mind

His Dad has spoken about regretting the decision to change his name and basically hide Latino roots.

His brother didnt, I'm sure there were interesting family conversations around it

Quoting cjsbmom:

Part of me wonders if he's doing this to try to reverse the negative image he's created of himself with all his crazy antics as of late. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grandmab125
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM
4 moms liked this

It doesn't matter whether he goes by Carlos Estevez or Charlie Sheen, he's still a loser.

Kitschy
by on May. 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

It's just because it's the Machete movie. 

grandmab125
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Many, many, actors and actresses adopted stage names for various reasons for as long as actors have been acting.  Ethnic sounding names were considered not to be a box office draw.  Martin Sheen started acting in the mid 60's, and it was still a common practice even then.  He thought an American sounding name would get him more acting jobs than Ramon Esteves would.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Probably

His Dad has spoken about regretting the decision to change his name and basically hide Latino roots.

His brother didnt, I'm sure there were interesting family conversations around it

Quoting cjsbmom:

grandma B

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 25, 2013 at 6:17 PM

True, but Ramone sounds so much sexier than Martin. LOL

Quoting grandmab125:

Many, many, actors and actresses adopted stage names for various reasons for as long as actors have been acting.  Ethnic sounding names were considered not to be a box office draw.  Martin Sheen started acting in the mid 60's, and it was still a common practice even then.  He thought an American sounding name would get him more acting jobs than Ramon Esteves would.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Probably

Quoting cjsbmom:

baquick
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM
This is exactly what I was thinking.

Quoting cjsbmom:

stormcris
by Christy on May. 25, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Actually it probably has to do with the director and his focus on Latino heritage.

Quoting cjsbmom:

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I always wondered why he had a different name than his Dad and brother. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured