Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Question for religious people

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 82 Replies
1 mom liked this

There is an old saying "there are no atheists in foxholes" which essentially suggests that everyone in times of stress or fear will believe in or hope for a higher power.  

Do you believe this is true?  

edit- I suppose I should provide the "why" I'm asking so that people may address the question and not try to guess at what I'm asking.  

In another post there was a theme that developed of animosity towards a young mother who was interviewed by Blitzer and when asked about God told him she was atheist.  

It was suggested that admitting such a thing after such a tragedy was in poor taste.  So it left me wondering how much of that feeling was based on someone challenging the idea that there are ultimately not atheists, just believers that haven't been challenged to believe.  

by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BestestMom11
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I am not sure, but I did recently meet someone who used to be an atheist.

I'll have to ask her why she chose to believe in a creator.
danandsamsmom
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am Christian, but I don't have an opinion on that saying.  I am particularly grateful for my faith during difficult times.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Alot of people realize that they are their higher power. For some it's the power of loving people gathered tight. Doesn't have to be God.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM
8 moms liked this

When I was religious, I gave all my problems over to god, only to realize the problems were still there. No matter how I tried to tell myself god will take care of me, it never happend. The moment I realized I was responsible for my actions and suffering, did I find peace and solace.

As I say nowadays, Savior self.

rayroe2
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I never heard that saying.

MHO you gotta believe in something to believe in nothing. Its like saying the government made you and you're just on the yellow brick trying to go no where.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I believe in G-d & I reject that saying in the OP.
katy_kay08
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

They may believe in something but that doesn't mean they believe in a higher power.   One does not require a belief in the other.  

Quoting rayroe2:

I never heard that saying.

MHO you gotta believe in something to believe in nothing. Its like saying the government made you and you're just on the yellow brick trying to go no where.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I am a believer in many gods..

But, I do not believe that saying is true

AussieArcana
by Member on May. 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Well hopefully when people who do not believe in any greater power start dying, they do not pray lol.

hockytwndhampyr
by on May. 25, 2013 at 10:57 PM
As a Christian, I don't believe that statement is true even though I've heard almost all my life.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN