Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WHITE PEOPLE BE HONEST!

Posted by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 567 Replies
2 moms liked this
Does it bother you when black people talk about racism against them/ their ancestors or slavery? I've seen many of you on here, and in my personal life, get very flustered and/or angry and defensive when either topic is bought up.

I've always wondered if it's because you think we are angry or blaming you for past or present problems. Now I cant speak for all of us but normally when either topic is brought up, it's typically about awareness. We want you to understand how this effects us emotionally and mentally, not feel targeted or ashamed.

I never want anyone to feel bad about it, even those who have stereotyped or been racist towards me! I want things to get better, not have you have hard feeling toward the conversation. Your anger and or dismissal of our feelings only hardens our hearts toward you and that does nothing to change our futures.
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
caito
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Not at all. I just wonder if it's okay for me to join the conversation, or that I'll be offending someone if I discuss it as well.

Jessicamarquez
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes it does I hate it it makes me uncomfortable its rude and legit makes me feel guilty when I'm not I didn't do anything. Why should I be aware of your black skin when your not aware of my tan skin
GLWerth
by Gina on May. 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Doesn't bother me at all, nor does it make me feel defensive.

TugBoatMama
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM

This.

Quoting caito:

Not at all. I just wonder if it's okay for me to join the conversation, or that I'll be offending someone if I discuss it as well.

little.worthen
by Tess on May. 25, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Yes... Sooooooo much
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:06 PM
5 moms liked this
No it doesn't. I recognize past & current racism w/no offense to me. I also recognize past & current homophobia, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, Christocentrism, sexism, etc. I'm an advocate for recognizing that we are in a great paradigm shift f/melting pot to tossed salad.
ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM
5 moms liked this
Listening to the problems of others can be difficult. It takes a selfless person to truly hear a person out in order to actually help change the issue for the better. The problem is both races dint understand eachothers problems. However dismissing one parties problems stops all hope of a peaceful conversation about change. I promise, if you'll listen to mine, I'll be more than happy to listen to yours.

Quoting Jessicamarquez:

Yes it does I hate it it makes me uncomfortable its rude and legit makes me feel guilty when I'm not I didn't do anything. Why should I be aware of your black skin when your not aware of my tan skin
krysstizzle
by on May. 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope (im half white and Hispanic). I think talking about racism in a sensible, respectful way is good for anyone :)
weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM
5 moms liked this
No since my family immigrated here in the early 1900s. We were never slave owners. Can't feel guilt for something we never did.
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM
9 moms liked this

That depends on how they talk about it. If they think that they can do no wrong, and if they do, and you catch them on it, you're racist, then I have a problem with that.

If it's a general discussion, I don't mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN