Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

About Atheists

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 74 Replies
4 moms liked this

I have recently seen many post about Atheists. It really has me curious as why any one cares if someone is an Atheist or not. I don't know any Athens that I know of anyways and if it weren't for CM I wouldn't even know there was such a prejudice against them.

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

I guess this same question could be asked about anyone one of any religion really. I don't and never have cared what one be lives or doesn't. I have never picked or choosed my friends or acquaintances according to their beliefs or lack of as long as it doesn't in someway effect me personally which it never has. So why does anyone here care what someone is?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hockytwndhampyr
by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Good question...I've wondered the same thing.
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I've never cared, either.  You be a good person, I'll be a good person, and we are A-OK.

However, this seems to be extremely important to some people.

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I wonder the same things myself.

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Because there are some who feel superior to anyone if he/she is not the same religion.  Example, I don't give a damn if you are or are not religious.  That is not a requirement to be my friend.  It is the way you treat me.  One of my favorite cousins is a muslim, but that is not way I like her.  She has always treated me with respect.  Her sister who is a major bitch is a christian.  She acts so righteous, but she is a bully. I was raised to respect others religion as a catholic and I extended that to folks who are not religious as well. 

romalove
by Roma on May. 26, 2013 at 5:58 PM

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

As an atheist, that makes me worry about religious folks who feel this way.

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

rfhsure
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM
People care because humans generally believe that their beliefs are superior to others because they know to themselves that what they believe is right. Multiply that by like 1000, you'll find that everyone thinks everyone else is wrong and when they say it they feel they're educating someone or validating themselves. Its all silly, I agree. But its just human nature. It applies to everything, body mods, parenting styles, relationships. We all want people to agree with us because it validates us.
caito
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Some people are afraid of atheists.

Others have been told bad things about atheists and believe the stereotypes.

Others have had bad experiences with atheists.

Others think it's their duty to witness to atheists, *just in case* they've never heard the word of their god.

Others have no experience with atheists whatsoever and don't know what to expect.

And some actually do truly hate atheists.

I'm sure the rest don't give a shit.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I don't think most people understand atheist.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 26, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with a person due to their beliefs, unless their beliefs affect how we interact. 

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

As an atheist, that makes me worry about religious folks who feel this way.

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

You know what Roma I know you are an open and proud Atheist but for what it's worth you one of my favorite members of this group. You are a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have you as personal real life friend in real life. You are probably the closest that I have ever known of real Atheist but my first thought of you is not hat you are an Atheist. My first thought is you are  very smart women and I am sure you are very kind person too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)