Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have recently seen many post about Atheists. It really has me curious as why any one cares if someone is an Atheist or not. I don't know any Athens that I know of anyways and if it weren't for CM I wouldn't even know there was such a prejudice against them.

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

I guess this same question could be asked about anyone one of any religion really. I don't and never have cared what one be lives or doesn't. I have never picked or choosed my friends or acquaintances according to their beliefs or lack of as long as it doesn't in someway effect me personally which it never has. So why does anyone here care what someone is?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Becasue some people feel compelled to be all up into somebody else's business.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2013 at 6:13 PM
I don't care if someone is an atheist. Not my business.
muslimah
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I don't think most people understand atheist.

Really what is there to understand? Why do people have to understand why or why not they are an Atheist? Why can't they just understand the person for who they are?

squeekers
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

as a humanist, I have found I have been shunned for being a non-believer.

romalove
by Roma on May. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

As an atheist, that makes me worry about religious folks who feel this way.

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

You know what Roma I know you are an open and proud Atheist but for what it's worth you one of my favorite members of this group. You are a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have you as personal real life friend in real life. You are probably the closest that I have ever known of real Atheist but my first thought of you is not hat you are an Atheist. My first thought is you are  very smart women and I am sure you are very kind person too.

muslimah, this is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me on here, and I want you to know I appreciate it.  I like and respect you as well, but I think you know that.  :-)

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I like her too (shhh don't tell her ;-) ).

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

You know what Roma I know you are an open and proud Atheist but for what it's worth you one of my favorite members of this group. You are a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have you as personal real life friend in real life. You are probably the closest that I have ever known of real Atheist but my first thought of you is not hat you are an Atheist. My first thought is you are  very smart women and I am sure you are very kind person too.

romalove
by Roma on May. 26, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I like her too (shhh don't tell her ;-) ).

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

JMO

OK, I didn't hear that.

<3

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I meant what atheists believe and where their morality comes from.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I don't think most people understand atheist.

Really what is there to understand? Why do people have to understand why or why not they are an Atheist? Why can't they just understand the person for who they are?

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Muslimah has always been a wealth of knowledge. She's also very patient. When I first came to CM we butted heads a bit, but I started to listen to her point of view and I learned stuff.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

JMO

muslimah, this is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me on here, and I want you to know I appreciate it.  I like and respect you as well, but I think you know that.  :-)

SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

I've  often wondered the same thing.  Religion is such a shallow thing on which to judge a person.  

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN