Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have recently seen many post about Atheists. It really has me curious as why any one cares if someone is an Atheist or not. I don't know any Athens that I know of anyways and if it weren't for CM I wouldn't even know there was such a prejudice against them.

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

I guess this same question could be asked about anyone one of any religion really. I don't and never have cared what one be lives or doesn't. I have never picked or choosed my friends or acquaintances according to their beliefs or lack of as long as it doesn't in someway effect me personally which it never has. So why does anyone here care what someone is?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
sheila28804
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Everyone is right so far.  It is unfortunate that religion causes more wars and problems than it solves. Religion is not required to have morals.  Morals came before religion.

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Muslimah has always been a wealth of knowledge. She's also very patient. When I first came to CM we butted heads a bit, but I started to listen to her point of view and I learned stuff.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

As an atheist, that makes me worry about religious folks who feel this way.

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

You know what Roma I know you are an open and proud Atheist but for what it's worth you one of my favorite members of this group. You are a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have you as personal real life friend in real life. You are probably the closest that I have ever known of real Atheist but my first thought of you is not hat you are an Atheist. My first thought is you are  very smart women and I am sure you are very kind person too.

muslimah, this is one of the nicest things anyone has said to me on here, and I want you to know I appreciate it.  I like and respect you as well, but I think you know that.  :-)

Oh you are so kind. I didn't even think you liked me... at all even though I never had any ill feelings against you. You are also a very smart women and I have enjoyed posting with you over the years.

hockytwndhampyr
by on May. 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I also like Roma. She talks about in a way that makes sense and I've never seen her talk down to someone (unlike some other ones here).

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I like her too (shhh don't tell her ;-) ).

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

First, there are some who fear atheists because they do not trust them to be upstanding moral people without religious rules to guide them. 

Second, atheists tend not to say "no worries" when someone else wants to violate First Amendment protections against religion and government comingling.  This is both worrisome and irritating to Christians who have enjoyed privileges and preferences for their religion because of being supermajority for so long.

And lastly, people don't like what they don't understand.  For many people who were brought up with God, they can't fathom someone would not have God in their lives.

JMO

You know what Roma I know you are an open and proud Atheist but for what it's worth you one of my favorite members of this group. You are a wealth of knowledge. It would be nice to have you as personal real life friend in real life. You are probably the closest that I have ever known of real Atheist but my first thought of you is not hat you are an Atheist. My first thought is you are  very smart women and I am sure you are very kind person too.

romalove
by Roma on May. 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting hockytwndhampyr:

I also like Roma. She talks about in a way that makes sense and I've never seen her talk down to someone (unlike some other ones here).

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I like her too (shhh don't tell her ;-) ).

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting romalove:

JMO

Thank you!  :-)

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 6:47 PM

As a Christian, I care.  We believe that accepting Jesus Christ is the key to our salvation, that if we want to one day live in Heaven we accept Him as our Saviour.

A lot of us just want to see eyeryone find the Lord as their Saviour too because we don't want to see anyone die in their sins.

I guess it's love.  :)

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 26, 2013 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this
I think some people can't imagine not believing in a god, it's almost impossible and I think someone without that belief can almost incite a fear. Also, being atheist puts you at a disadvantage, no matter how delicately we tell a believer why we don't believe, it can be offensive. Telling someone you think their strong belief is wasted on nothing puts a damper on the conversation. Most conversations I've had, the answer "I just don't believe" is rarely good enough, people want to know why. It's the why that causes animosity. It seems being an atheist is just offensive.
muslimah
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

As a Christian, I care.  We believe that accepting Jesus Christ is the key to our salvation, that if we want to one day live in Heaven we accept Him as our Saviour.

A lot of us just want to see eyeryone find the Lord as their Saviour too because we don't want to see anyone die in their sins.

Knowing you poodles like I do (at least on line) I understand what you are saying and know you heart is genuine. I see many Christians here with the better than thow attitude in a judgmental way. I have also seen Christians here on this site tell others including me how they/me are going to hell. I also know (well I think) you think I am going to hell because I am not "saved" and don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior. But then again like I said knowing you I know it is not out of judgment or nastiness but it is like you said, you care and want the best for everyone because you are a true Christian and not a judgmental hypocrite. I know your heart is in right place and you truly believe that the only way to Heaven is through Christ.

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I respect everyone's right to believe (or not believe) and worship (or not worship) as they see fit.  However, if someone wishes to stop me from worshipping as I chose or to tell me why my beliefs are wrong or stupid, I will have an issue with them.

I judge each person on an individual basis.  I am Catholic.  My best friend is a pagan.  There is little common ground there, but we respect each other & choose to focus on the things we do have in common and enjoy.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Knowing you poodles like I do (at least on line) I understand what you are saying and know you heart is genuine. I see many Christians here with the better than thow attitude in a judgmental way. I have also seen Christians here on this site tell others including me how they/me are going to hell. I also know (well I think) you think I am going to hell because I am not "saved" and don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior. But then again like I said knowing you I know it is not out of judgment or nastiness but it is like you said, you care and want the best for everyone because you are a true Christian and not a judgmental hypocrite. I know your heart is in right place and you truly believe that the only way to Heaven is through Christ.

:)  Thanks for knowing me.  And I don't choose my friends by what they are or believe either.  I chose you as a friend cuz you're an intelligent and kind woman and I really like talking to you. 

I just love ya all...that's really my only motive.  For me it's all about Jesus-- He brings joy and peace to my life. and I want those I love to have Him too. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

My favorite is when people confuse atheists and agnostics. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)