Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have recently seen many post about Atheists. It really has me curious as why any one cares if someone is an Atheist or not. I don't know any Athens that I know of anyways and if it weren't for CM I wouldn't even know there was such a prejudice against them.

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

I guess this same question could be asked about anyone one of any religion really. I don't and never have cared what one be lives or doesn't. I have never picked or choosed my friends or acquaintances according to their beliefs or lack of as long as it doesn't in someway effect me personally which it never has. So why does anyone here care what someone is?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM
2 moms liked this
I think part of the issue is that people fear what they don't understand. Many religious people I have met can not comprehend that I can live a moral happy life without God. I tell very few people I am an atheist simply because of the reactions and questions I inevitably have to deal with.
hockytwndhampyr
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I agree that poodles does seem genuine in her beliefs, if a little passionate. As a fellow Christian, I agree with her core beliefs. But as a Goth, well I'm less judgemental and more interested in getting to know the person before even talking religion. Talk to me about gothy things, hockey, baseball, vampires and dhampires, literature, etc. Just because some does or does not believe does not mean that they can not be my friend. Diversity is a good thing.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

As a Christian, I care.  We believe that accepting Jesus Christ is the key to our salvation, that if we want to one day live in Heaven we accept Him as our Saviour.

A lot of us just want to see eyeryone find the Lord as their Saviour too because we don't want to see anyone die in their sins.

I guess it's love.  :)

Knowing you poodles like I do (at least on line) I understand what you are saying and know you heart is genuine. I see many Christians here with the better than thow attitude in a judgmental way. I have also seen Christians here on this site tell others including me how they/me are going to hell. I also know (well I think) you think I am going to hell because I am not "saved" and don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior. But then again like I said knowing you I know it is not out of judgment or nastiness but it is like you said, you care and want the best for everyone because you are a true Christian and not a judgmental hypocrite. I know your heart is in right place and you truly believe that the only way to Heaven is through Christ.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

There is no general dislike.   Penn Gilliatte is a well-known atheist and a really kind man, who never puts others down, those who know him say. 

Sometimes it underlies an extreme anger hatefulness that is quite obvious, however.  Those that mock believers "out" themselves as to their bigotry and draw a less than favorable response from others more because of the tone than the belief.  I've seen it in lots of forums.  I've actually seen the metamorphosis from believer to atheist (in someone's regular postings) and it wasn't pretty.  Some members were even asking the two individuals in particular that I am thinking of if they had been hacked and if someone else was responding. One suspected a husband was taking over his wife's postings, because she did a real Jeckyl and Hyde.   Total change. 

That's all you are seeing.

parentalrights1
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM
I used to be one of the more conservatve christian types as a teen

I can't speak for all of them, but as a teen it was lack of exposure.
Growing up in a country where it is a christian majority and christian privilage, you kinda get the impression that it is a christian country and everyone is. Atheist were like a weird type of person I'd heard of but never met. Just like the rest of the world, they were gonna go to hell because only believing in Jesus could save you.

Of course I didnt know I was such an asshole. One day I assumed a girl I was hanging with was christian and I made a smart remark about Obama's mom being atheist and she revealed that she was too. I don't think I felt bad so much as weirded out that she seemed normal as fuck lol.

I had some atheist friends in high school and they were kind of like the non christians on cafemom only way more immature about it lol. They liked to kinda troll te christians around them (bible belt) by shouting "hail satan" randomly but they were just stupid kids. I would stick up for them if they were attacked unprovoked, but just kinda play game boy if they started it. I say they were like cafemommers only because they brought up the same points. Being sick of religion pushed on them. I didnt understand their plight at the time. Of course it's obvious as hell now but trying to explain it to other christians is a waste of time until they open their minds a bit.

Now I'm not atheist but I'd rather be around them then the religious asswipes.

Yeah. Basically my immature teen years were spent being conservative christian and I grew up to be liberal lol
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I can talk to you about hockey (and Christianity)!  ;) 

Another hockey Mom here, enjoying the downtime from the travel season. 

Quoting hockytwndhampyr:

I agree that poodles does seem genuine in her beliefs, if a little passionate. As a fellow Christian, I agree with her core beliefs. But as a Goth, well I'm less judgemental and more interested in getting to know the person before even talking religion. Talk to me about gothy things, hockey, baseball, vampires and dhampires, literature, etc. Just because some does or does not believe does not mean that they can not be my friend. Diversity is a good thing.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

As a Christian, I care.  We believe that accepting Jesus Christ is the key to our salvation, that if we want to one day live in Heaven we accept Him as our Saviour.

A lot of us just want to see eyeryone find the Lord as their Saviour too because we don't want to see anyone die in their sins.

Knowing you poodles like I do (at least on line) I understand what you are saying and know you heart is genuine. I see many Christians here with the better than thow attitude in a judgmental way. I have also seen Christians here on this site tell others including me how they/me are going to hell. I also know (well I think) you think I am going to hell because I am not "saved" and don't accept Jesus as my lord and savior. But then again like I said knowing you I know it is not out of judgment or nastiness but it is like you said, you care and want the best for everyone because you are a true Christian and not a judgmental hypocrite. I know your heart is in right place and you truly believe that the only way to Heaven is through Christ.

hockytwndhampyr
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Cool!

Quoting TranquilMind:

I can talk to you about hockey (and Christianity)!  ;) 

Another hockey Mom here, enjoying the downtime from the travel season. 

Quoting hockytwndhampyr:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

PamR
by Pam on May. 26, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

A Goth and a Christian?  Fab!

As a Christian, I know some perfectly lovely atheists who are some of the most intelligent, nice, good people around.  They don't judge me for my beliefs and I don't judge them for theirs.  And we manage to coexist quite nicely. 

Quoting hockytwndhampyr:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

kellysparkles
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

In my personal experience, people confuse atheists for Satan-worshipping baby-eaters.  

Okay maybe not baby-eaters, but when I say I'm atheist people are like, "Why do you hate God?!"  They don't seem to realize there's a difference between not believing and not liking.

TugBoatMama
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:49 PM

From what I gather people seem to get the impression that we are just throwing a temper tantrum at their god, like we're just mad so we ran away from home. Thinking they know better than we do, they think we will be back someday. My mom thinks its a phase, like I'm some angst ridden teenager. A common theme in my neck of the woods is that you do things the way they've always been done because that's just the way it is around here. I've heard state reps use that very excuse for some of their positions on things. When people come across someone that doesn't care that much for thier traditional thinking, they get offended or perplexed by it. People say, "Well that's silly, EVERYONE believes in god! What happened to make you so angry at god?!"

I don't understand where the lapse in logic happens here because I can't feel anger towards someone I believe to be a figment of the imagination. The only thing I draw from statements like that is that it makes the believer feel better about my not believing what they do.

I realize most people don't care what others believe in. I try to be one of those people. I'm involved in my secular community but I've never been a shove it down your throat type of person, not even when I was a Christian. But the closer you get to the bible belt the more common it is to find a stronger distaste for atheists in general.

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

There is no general dislike.   Penn Gilliatte is a well-known atheist and a really kind man, who never puts others down, those who know him say. 

Sometimes it underlies an extreme anger hatefulness that is quite obvious, however.  Those that mock believers "out" themselves as to their bigotry and draw a less than favorable response from others more because of the tone than the belief.  I've seen it in lots of forums.  I've actually seen the metamorphosis from believer to atheist (in someone's regular postings) and it wasn't pretty.  Some members were even asking the two individuals in particular that I am thinking of if they had been hacked and if someone else was responding. One suspected a husband was taking over his wife's postings, because she did a real Jeckyl and Hyde.   Total change. 

That's all you are seeing.

I like how you mentioned "posting" and "forums" because that is the truth. I have never sen or heard of this hate, dislike, nastiness, and judgementalness in real life. It is when I started using Cafe Mom about 7 years ago that I really started to see it and have still to this day only really experienced it here. Maybe I am sheltered. Maybe it because 99% of the people I know or have known in my real life are Muslims like me so I have not really been around.

For example I never in life knew that so many people were Pagan or Satanist. I always thought the 2 to be very rare and I thought of Pagan as something mostly of ancient Greece, ancient Egyptian, or Ancient Native Indian.

I alway also thought that the few Pagans that there were ran around the woods naked and performed animal and maybe even human sacrifices at bomb fire ceremonies lol. That is always what I heard anyways and knew no different until learning from Pagans here on Cafe Mom.

I still really don't understand Satanism or what it is about or what they believe. My knowledge of it is pretty much zero but I was shocked to learn here on Cafe Mom that they don't pray to Satan. I also always thought them to be evil. To be honest because I am ignorant to that religion I really can't say if they are or believe in evilness or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN