Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I have recently seen many post about Atheists. It really has me curious as why any one cares if someone is an Atheist or not. I don't know any Athens that I know of anyways and if it weren't for CM I wouldn't even know there was such a prejudice against them.

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

I guess this same question could be asked about anyone one of any religion really. I don't and never have cared what one be lives or doesn't. I have never picked or choosed my friends or acquaintances according to their beliefs or lack of as long as it doesn't in someway effect me personally which it never has. So why does anyone here care what someone is?

by on May. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting muslimah:

Why is there such a dislike towards them, why does anyone care about their beliefs of lack of beliefs?

Two reasons not mentioned so far.

Firstly, an old reason.  For a thousand years, anyone who admitted to being an atheist was executed as a heretic or blasphemer.   There is a backlog of sermons and other such institution 'wisdom' that leads many, just by default, to 'know by instinct' that atheist are not just wrong - that they are deserving of death.   Even today there are still 7 countries in the world where there's a death penalty just for being an atheist.  Not speaking out about it, just being one.  The extrinsic reasosn given vary, from atheists having no morals, to being the willing servants of satan, but the intrinsic reason is that it's good for business for there to be a penalty to doubting or, worse, leaving the organisation then questioning.

Secondly, a modern reason.  In 1689, Britain passed the toleration act which permitted freedom of conscience in religious matters.  It took nearly 200 years for this to generalise much beyond people having a free choice but only between two options (Catholic, or the protestant church of England), but what it did eventually lead onto was a sort of detente where religious people said to each other "I won't question the evidential basis of your religion, if you won't question the evidential basis of my religion".   Atheism breaks that pact, by asking for real evidence.  This strikes many as a betrayal, as unethical, on a deep level they can't even put words to.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 27, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I dislike the fact that I am being disrespectful toward someone if I say that I think god was made up ...yet I should have to stay respectful to those who preach and thank the lord in my presence.  Im tired of god being the societies default and no god being an affront.  Actually it annoys the crap out of me. 

Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL it reminds me of how my mom and sister act about my hair. I always hear lines like "When are you going to stop being so stubborn and grow your hair back out"  and "I can't wait until you're past this short hair phase and grow it long again"

Not once do they acknowledge the fact that my face looks so much softer and prettier with my hair short or the fact that after almost 20 years of having it short it just very well may not be a phase LOL.

Quoting TugBoatMama:

From what I gather people seem to get the impression that we are just throwing a temper tantrum at their god, like we're just mad so we ran away from home. Thinking they know better than we do, they think we will be back someday. My mom thinks its a phase, like I'm some angst ridden teenager.

bozobean
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM
I have nothing against atheists or any other group.
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:14 AM

I've noticed that, too. Thinking that an atheist is really agnostic because they "just haven't found God yet," or assuming that an admitted agnostic is automatically an atheist.

Quoting cjsbmom:

My favorite is when people confuse atheists and agnostics. 

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Someone already mentioned one reason that I think is a big one, that some religious people don't understand that atheism isn't about "being mad at god" or something like that. If you were mad at god, that would mean you believe in a god, hence, not atheist.

But another reason, I think, is that some atheist groups (especially activist groups) can really be quite disrespectful toward theists of all kinds. There was an atheist group in the city where I used to live, and they really went out of their way to mock and disparage people's beliefs. (Many atheist activist groups, at least in the US, also have serious problems with sexism and racism, as well, but that's a whole other issue, and it's starting to change.) 

I can understand the anger and frustration that drives such behavior for atheists living in a majority-Christian country like the US (or any country where there is a powerful religious majority), but I can also understand why believers find it so upsetting.

Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:58 AM

I think a lot of people don't actually realize what "agnostic" means. There is a common misconception that it means that one simply doesn't know whether there is a god or not, but actually, to be agnostic is to posit that the existence of a god or gods (or lack thereof) is unknowable by anyone and can't be proven either way.

Fun fact, lol.

Quoting illogicalkat:

I've noticed that, too. Thinking that an atheist is really agnostic because they "just haven't found God yet," or assuming that an admitted agnostic is automatically an atheist.

Quoting cjsbmom:

muslimah
by on May. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Quoting Aestas:

I think a lot of people don't actually realize what "agnostic" means. There is a common misconception that it means that one simply doesn't know whether there is a god or not, but actually, to be agnostic is to posit that the existence of a god or gods (or lack thereof) is unknowable by anyone and can't be proven either way.

Fun fact, lol.

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quoting cjsbmom:

I didn't know what an Agnostic was until I just read this reply. I always just assumed it was another sect of Christianity.

Aestas
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Aestas:

Fun fact, lol.

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quoting cjsbmom:

I didn't know what an Agnostic was until I just read this reply. I always just assumed it was another sect of Christianity.

Ah! I think you're thinking of "Gnostic." I don't know much about gnosticism, to be honest, but I found this:

Gnosticism

the beliefs and practices of pre-Christian and early Christian sects, condemned by the church, especially the conviction that matter is evil and that knowledge is more important than faith, and the practice of esoteric mysticism.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 27, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I think perhaps people who act in such a manner are either control freaks or unsure in their own convictions. Also, there are some people whom feel that is a depressing lifestyle and they must save them from this obvious mental affliction. *shrug*

You cannot save the world and if you are meant to change something it will not be through pounding your choice down someone else's throat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)