Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

One Christian Bigot’s Take on What Will Happen Now That the Boy Scouts of America Will Admit Gay Youth

Posted by   + Show Post

May 26, 2013
by: 

In the wake of the Boy Scouts of America’s decision to allow gay members, we have basically seen reactions from three different groups of people:

1) You have the people (like me) who are disappointed that the BSA still bans gay scout leaders and atheists. The group took a nice baby step in the right direction, but they are still a bigoted organization as far as we’re concerned.

2) You have the people — relatively few of them, I would think — who are just proud that the BSA finally let in gay scouts. They’re less concerned about the other bans and are just celebrating what they consider a huge step forward.

3) You have the religious conservatives, who think the BSA has stained its reputation by caving in to the public outcry and gave up one of the best things it had going for it.

Regarding this last group… what exactly are they worried about?

Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel Action gives us some insight into the fear:

What’s the next step? Activists now demand that adult men who desire sex with other males (“gay” scout masters) be allowed to take your sons camping overnight. Soon they’ll be insisting that “transgender boys” (girls who wish they were boys) be allowed to join as well.

What a camping trip! Imagine the pup tent. Your son and Jimmy — who’s got a crush on him — along with Billy and Billy’s boyfriend Bobby, all snuggly warm in the middle of nowhere. But make room for Sammy (formerly Suzie) and Sammy’s boyfriend Gary (formerly Gertrude).

Don’t forget to hang the disco ball.

So… implying that gay leaders would molest the children and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes) are automatically going to cuddle up next to their fellow troop members… and throwing in some transphobic comments just for good measure. Way to be rational there. (Edit: I was referring to Cub Scouts not being old enough to want to cuddle. Sorry for the confusion!)

In other words, the Christian Right has no good reason to be worried. All they have are stereotypes rooted in bigotry and their own paranoia. It’s the same thing we see when it comes to marriage equality and it’s the same thing we saw when it came to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

My favorite bit of delusion thinking, though, comes in the form of conservative columnists and commenters who say that the BSA is now a godless organization.

A godless organization that refuses to admit godless people.

There’s some Christian logic for you.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I can not wrap my head around why some people assume gay people have no self control and will pounce on and rape anyone who catches their eye. So what if Johnny Strait and Jimmy Gay are in the same tent. Jimmy is not going to infect Johnny with "The Gay" nor hop on top of him and just start banging away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Because someone will feel left out and will sue to get in.

Quoting dlkht:

My question is this... Why do all associations have to be inclusive to everyone? Why cant they just start another association and have their own mission statement and goals? 

Why do gays have to redefine the word marriage?  Why cant they call it a legal partnership? The problem seems to be that in order to be inclusive to everyone you have to opress someone else.  So just make room for both.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM
9 moms liked this

Oh the separate but equal crowd- like the south many years ago. SMH.

Quoting dlkht:

My question is this... Why do all associations have to be inclusive to everyone? Why cant they just start another association and have their own mission statement and goals? 

Why do gays have to redefine the word marriage?  Why cant they call it a legal partnership? The problem seems to be that in order to be inclusive to everyone you have to opress someone else.  So just make room for both.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in category 1. I'm unmoved by their supposed 'progress'. I will not allow my son to join BSA in my lifetime.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
5 moms liked this

Bigotry my ass.  Calling those that truly believe homosexuality is a sin bigots does not help your cause.  It only shows you to be more intolerant than you are accusing them of being.

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I can not wrap my head around why some people assume gay people have no self control and will pounce on and rape anyone who catches their eye. So what if Johnny Strait and Jimmy Gay are in the same tent. Jimmy is not going to infect Johnny with "The Gay" nor hop on top of him and just start banging away.

Why do we keep boys and girls in seperate sleeping areas?

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM
9 moms liked this

Ah. The, "If you don't tolerate my intolerance you are intolerant" speech. No.

Intolerance should not be tolerated.

If someone is being a bigoted and showing intolerance they should not be tolerated.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Bigotry my ass.  Calling those that truly believe homosexuality is a sin bigots does not help your cause.  It only shows you to be more intolerant than you are accusing them of being.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM
2 moms liked this

But how do we determine whose choices trump another's choices?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If someone is being a bigoted and showing intolerance they should not be tolerated.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM
5 moms liked this

That's simple. The person being oppressed by someones bigotry/intolerance.

Let's look back at slavery. Freeing the slaves is being intolerant to the slave owners. Having slaves is being intolerant to the people being enslaved.

The person being made a slave is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to enslave someone.

Let's look at women. Giving women the right to vote is being intolerant of men who don't think women should vote. Refusing to allow women to vote is being intolerant to women.

The women is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse women the chance to vote.

Let's look at the LGBT community. Giving them the same rights as others is being intolerant to the people who want to keep them oppressed and viewed as inferior. Denying them these rights is being intolerant to them.

The LGBT community is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse them the same rights that they have.

I think that's a pretty simple formula. Unless you believe people should tolerate intolerance/bigotry

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I hardly compare a scouting group to slavery.  lol

Quoting brookiecookie87:

That's simple. The person being oppressed by someones bigotry/intolerance.

Let's look back at slavery. Freeing the slaves is being intolerant to the slave owners. Having slaves is being intolerant to the people being enslaved.

The person being made a slave is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to enslave someone.

Let's look at women. Giving women the right to vote is being intolerant of men who don't think women should vote. Refusing to allow women to vote is being intolerant to women.

The women is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse women the chance to vote.

Let's look at the LGBT community. Giving them the same rights as others is being intolerant to the people who want to keep them oppressed and viewed as inferior. Denying them these rights is being intolerant to them.

The LGBT community is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse them the same rights that they have.

I think that's a pretty simple formula. Unless you believe people should tolerate intolerance/bigotry

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)