Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

One Christian Bigot’s Take on What Will Happen Now That the Boy Scouts of America Will Admit Gay Youth

Posted by   + Show Post

May 26, 2013
by: 

In the wake of the Boy Scouts of America’s decision to allow gay members, we have basically seen reactions from three different groups of people:

1) You have the people (like me) who are disappointed that the BSA still bans gay scout leaders and atheists. The group took a nice baby step in the right direction, but they are still a bigoted organization as far as we’re concerned.

2) You have the people — relatively few of them, I would think — who are just proud that the BSA finally let in gay scouts. They’re less concerned about the other bans and are just celebrating what they consider a huge step forward.

3) You have the religious conservatives, who think the BSA has stained its reputation by caving in to the public outcry and gave up one of the best things it had going for it.

Regarding this last group… what exactly are they worried about?

Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel Action gives us some insight into the fear:

What’s the next step? Activists now demand that adult men who desire sex with other males (“gay” scout masters) be allowed to take your sons camping overnight. Soon they’ll be insisting that “transgender boys” (girls who wish they were boys) be allowed to join as well.

What a camping trip! Imagine the pup tent. Your son and Jimmy — who’s got a crush on him — along with Billy and Billy’s boyfriend Bobby, all snuggly warm in the middle of nowhere. But make room for Sammy (formerly Suzie) and Sammy’s boyfriend Gary (formerly Gertrude).

Don’t forget to hang the disco ball.

So… implying that gay leaders would molest the children and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes) are automatically going to cuddle up next to their fellow troop members… and throwing in some transphobic comments just for good measure. Way to be rational there. (Edit: I was referring to Cub Scouts not being old enough to want to cuddle. Sorry for the confusion!)

In other words, the Christian Right has no good reason to be worried. All they have are stereotypes rooted in bigotry and their own paranoia. It’s the same thing we see when it comes to marriage equality and it’s the same thing we saw when it came to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

My favorite bit of delusion thinking, though, comes in the form of conservative columnists and commenters who say that the BSA is now a godless organization.

A godless organization that refuses to admit godless people.

There’s some Christian logic for you.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Your question was how do we determine whose choices trumps who?

Just use the formula.

Allowing people who are atheist or members of the LGBT to join the Boy Scouts is intolerant to people who don't want to allow them to join. Refusing them access is intolerant to the atheist/lgbt.

The atheist/LGBT is the target of bigotry/intolerance and trumps the people who want to use bigotry/intolerance to refuse those people access.

The you are intolerant if you don't tolerate my intolerance speech makes no sense. No one should tolerate intolerance.

Though I am not saying the Boy Scouts should be forced to change it's way by the government or anything. But if they are losing funding by people who don't want to support a bigoted/intolerant system and they decide to change on their own.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

I hardly compare a scouting group to slavery.  lol

Quoting brookiecookie87:

That's simple. The person being oppressed by someones bigotry/intolerance.

Let's look back at slavery. Freeing the slaves is being intolerant to the slave owners. Having slaves is being intolerant to the people being enslaved.

The person being made a slave is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to enslave someone.

Let's look at women. Giving women the right to vote is being intolerant of men who don't think women should vote. Refusing to allow women to vote is being intolerant to women.

The women is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse women the chance to vote.

Let's look at the LGBT community. Giving them the same rights as others is being intolerant to the people who want to keep them oppressed and viewed as inferior. Denying them these rights is being intolerant to them.

The LGBT community is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse them the same rights that they have.

I think that's a pretty simple formula. Unless you believe people should tolerate intolerance/bigotry

Quoting JTROX:

But how do we determine whose choices trump another's choices?

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Ah. The, "If you don't tolerate my intolerance you are intolerant" speech. No.

Intolerance should not be tolerated.

If someone is being a bigoted and showing intolerance they should not be tolerated.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Bigotry my ass.  Calling those that truly believe homosexuality is a sin bigots does not help your cause.  It only shows you to be more intolerant than you are accusing them of being.

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

The formula makes sense with big things like actual freedoms.

I don't think we can compare big items with simple individual choices in life.  

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Allowing people who are atheist or members of the LGBT to join the Boy Scouts is intolerant to people who don't want to allow them to join. Refusing them access is intolerant to the atheist/lgbt.

The atheist/LGBT is the target of bigotry/intolerance and trumps the people who want to use bigotry/intolerance to refuse those people access.

The you are intolerant if you don't tolerate my intolerance speech makes no sense. No one should tolerate intolerance.

Though I am not saying the Boy Scouts should be forced to change it's way by the government or anything. But if they are losing funding by people who don't want to support a bigoted/intolerant system and they decide to change on their own.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Let's look back at slavery. Freeing the slaves is being intolerant to the slave owners. Having slaves is being intolerant to the people being enslaved.

The person being made a slave is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to enslave someone.

Let's look at women. Giving women the right to vote is being intolerant of men who don't think women should vote. Refusing to allow women to vote is being intolerant to women.

The women is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse women the chance to vote.

Let's look at the LGBT community. Giving them the same rights as others is being intolerant to the people who want to keep them oppressed and viewed as inferior. Denying them these rights is being intolerant to them.

The LGBT community is the target of bigotry and trumps the person who wants to use intolerance/bigotry to refuse them the same rights that they have.

I think that's a pretty simple formula. Unless you believe people should tolerate intolerance/bigotry

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

If someone is being a bigoted and showing intolerance they should not be tolerated.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Bigotry my ass.  Calling those that truly believe homosexuality is a sin bigots does not help your cause.  It only shows you to be more intolerant than you are accusing them of being.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Being intolerant to people based on bigotry/intolerance is what leads to oppressing people.

As I said earlier. Intolerance should not be tolerated.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

This is America.  People should have the freedom to make choices.  Not just the pc group of the moment.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Being intolerant to people based on bigotry/intolerance is what leads to oppressing people.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this

And no one is taking that choice away. The Boy Scouts of America were not forced into being PC. People just realized how intolerant and bigoted they were being and didn't want to fund them anymore.

This is America. People should have the freedom to donate/fund whoever they want to donate/fund. And they do have that right. The government didn't step in and say, "Change your rules". People/businesses spoke with their wallets and then the Boy Scouts of America voted and changed their rules on their own.

Quoting JTROX:

This is America.  People should have the freedom to make choices.  Not just the pc group of the moment.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

The BSA held a vote.  

It seems to me that you are suggesting that choices should be taken away, by stating multiple times that intolerance should not be tolerated.  

I disagree.  People should be allowed their choices.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

And no one is taking that choice away. The Boy Scouts of America were not forced into being PC. People just realized how intolerant and bigoted they were being and didn't want to fund them anymore.

This is America. People should have the freedom to donate/fund whoever they want to donate/fund. And they do have that right. The government didn't step in and say, "Change your rules". People/businesses spoke with their wallets and then the Boy Scouts of America voted and changed their rules on their own.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If someone decides they want slaves and they believe they should have them because someone else is inferior. That choice needs to be addressed.

Why did the BSA hold that vote? Because people were pointing out the intolerance/Bigotry that existed there and because of it they were losing funding and respect from people.

If people kept tolerating their intolerance nothing would have changed.

Quoting JTROX:

The BSA held a vote.  

It seems to me that you are suggesting that choices should be taken away, by stating multiple times that intolerance should not be tolerated.  

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You're back to the slave thing again.  LOL  Completely different than people making choices for themselves and their families.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If someone decides they want slaves and they believe they should have them because someone else is inferior. That choice needs to be addressed.

Why did the BSA hold that vote? Because people were pointing out the intolerance/Bigotry that existed there and because of it they were losing funding and respect from people.

Quoting JTROX:

The BSA held a vote.  

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Just use the formula.

Well awesome.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it simplifies things and proves the point.

You say people should be allowed their choices.

So if someone wants to bring back slavery they should be allowed those choices. If someone wants to take away a womans right to vote they should be allowed those choices.

Does that sound silly? It does. Just because you change the bigotry/intolerance to something that hasn't been abolished a long time ago doesn't make it okay.

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If the Boy Scouts of America want to hold onto their bigotry and intolerance other people should point it out and stop funding them in hopes that they change.

Because intolerance should not be tolerated.

Quoting JTROX:

You're back to the slave thing again.  LOL  Completely different than people making choices for themselves and their families.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

The BSA held a vote.  

Quoting brookiecookie87:

JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

The choice for slavery involves owning another person.  Allowing people to make choices about who they spend time with, or what activities they choose to participate in, are not any where in the same category as owning slaves.  That is just plain silly to try and compare them.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Because it simplifies things and proves the point.

You say people should be allowed their choices.

So if someone wants to bring back slavery they should be allowed those choices. If someone wants to take away a womans right to vote they should be allowed those choices.

Does that sound silly? It does. Just because you change the bigotry/intolerance to something that hasn't been abolished a long time ago doesn't make it okay.

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If the Boy Scouts of America want to hold onto their bigotry and intolerance other people should point it out and stop funding them in hopes that they change.

Because intolerance should not be tolerated.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Quoting JTROX:

The BSA held a vote.  

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)