Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

One Christian Bigot’s Take on What Will Happen Now That the Boy Scouts of America Will Admit Gay Youth

Posted by   + Show Post

May 26, 2013
by: 

In the wake of the Boy Scouts of America’s decision to allow gay members, we have basically seen reactions from three different groups of people:

1) You have the people (like me) who are disappointed that the BSA still bans gay scout leaders and atheists. The group took a nice baby step in the right direction, but they are still a bigoted organization as far as we’re concerned.

2) You have the people — relatively few of them, I would think — who are just proud that the BSA finally let in gay scouts. They’re less concerned about the other bans and are just celebrating what they consider a huge step forward.

3) You have the religious conservatives, who think the BSA has stained its reputation by caving in to the public outcry and gave up one of the best things it had going for it.

Regarding this last group… what exactly are they worried about?

Matt Barber of Liberty Counsel Action gives us some insight into the fear:

What’s the next step? Activists now demand that adult men who desire sex with other males (“gay” scout masters) be allowed to take your sons camping overnight. Soon they’ll be insisting that “transgender boys” (girls who wish they were boys) be allowed to join as well.

What a camping trip! Imagine the pup tent. Your son and Jimmy — who’s got a crush on him — along with Billy and Billy’s boyfriend Bobby, all snuggly warm in the middle of nowhere. But make room for Sammy (formerly Suzie) and Sammy’s boyfriend Gary (formerly Gertrude).

Don’t forget to hang the disco ball.

So… implying that gay leaders would molest the children and that gay scouts (who are barely old enough to even have crushes) are automatically going to cuddle up next to their fellow troop members… and throwing in some transphobic comments just for good measure. Way to be rational there. (Edit: I was referring to Cub Scouts not being old enough to want to cuddle. Sorry for the confusion!)

In other words, the Christian Right has no good reason to be worried. All they have are stereotypes rooted in bigotry and their own paranoia. It’s the same thing we see when it comes to marriage equality and it’s the same thing we saw when it came to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

My favorite bit of delusion thinking, though, comes in the form of conservative columnists and commenters who say that the BSA is now a godless organization.

A godless organization that refuses to admit godless people.

There’s some Christian logic for you.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Replies (251-257):
KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Why do so many people think that the only thing gay people think about is sex? Why do think that being ina room or tent with a gay person, will result in some type of sexual incident?   Let's take a look at the miltiary shall we -male soldiers are raping and brutalizing female soldiers at a rate of of 10,000 case per YEAR!!  This is the US miilitary.  There may be some homosexual rapes, but I will bet it is "straight man" trying to punish a gay man.   People are just so freaking unbelievable with their generalizations and crazy thoughts.   GAy scouts and leaders are in scouts for the exact some reason as straights - they love of camping, adventure and fellowship with others that share the same interests.  The Scouts wil not become a gay dating scene.   That is ridiculous and smallminded.  Surprise, by gays are just like everyone else and honestly, I would trust a gay man with my son or daughter over a straight man almost any day.   It is the hetero man that molests, rapes and beats the most,not gays.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Well, that hurt.

Quoting Stephanie329:

No it wasn't. Your support of someone so stupid as JTROX is odd. Even though you're wrong in most of your beliefs/opinions, you've been able to argue them intelligently - until now.

Quoting Carpy:

Her point was a nonsensical comparison.

Quoting mehamil1:

Oh My God it's a mother fucking example. She's making a point by using slavery as an example. Use your brain muscles. Wow. You cannot be that dense to just focus on that. You are missing the forest for the trees. 

Quoting JTROX:

The choice for slavery involves owning another person.  Allowing people to make choices about who they spend time with, or what activities they choose to participate in, are not any where in the same category as owning slaves.  That is just plain silly to try and compare them.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Because it simplifies things and proves the point.

You say people should be allowed their choices.

So if someone wants to bring back slavery they should be allowed those choices. If someone wants to take away a womans right to vote they should be allowed those choices.

Does that sound silly? It does. Just because you change the bigotry/intolerance to something that hasn't been abolished a long time ago doesn't make it okay.

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If the Boy Scouts of America want to hold onto their bigotry and intolerance other people should point it out and stop funding them in hopes that they change.

Because intolerance should not be tolerated.

Quoting JTROX:

You're back to the slave thing again.  LOL  Completely different than people making choices for themselves and their families.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

Intolerance should not be tolerated. If someone decides they want slaves and they believe they should have them because someone else is inferior. That choice needs to be addressed.

Why did the BSA hold that vote? Because people were pointing out the intolerance/Bigotry that existed there and because of it they were losing funding and respect from people.

If people kept tolerating their intolerance nothing would have changed.

Quoting JTROX:

The BSA held a vote.  

It seems to me that you are suggesting that choices should be taken away, by stating multiple times that intolerance should not be tolerated. 

I disagree.  People should be allowed their choices.

Quoting brookiecookie87:

And no one is taking that choice away. The Boy Scouts of America were not forced into being PC. People just realized how intolerant and bigoted they were being and didn't want to fund them anymore.

This is America. People should have the freedom to donate/fund whoever they want to donate/fund. And they do have that right. The government didn't step in and say, "Change your rules". People/businesses spoke with their wallets and then the Boy Scouts of America voted and changed their rules on their own. 

adeber1
by Member on May. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

For those saying arguing that a private organization should be able to do as they please; I actually agree. In a free market private organizations should be free to do as they please provided their actions don't violate federal, state and/or local law and they abstain from accepting any sort of government assistance including funding, in-kind gifts, perks, or special privileges (I would argue the BSA violates this last one, but I'll leave that be). 

In this particular case though it's not the government forcing the BSA to change it's policy; it's public pressure. Acceptance is more the norm now more than ever (yay for progress, even if it is just a little). More and more people see homosexuality not as a choice, but just a part of who they are. As acceptance becomes the norm, more and more people are unwilling to support the BSA because they believe their policies are discriminatory, me included.

Really though it's just the free market in action...the BSA or any other private organization is free to run their business as they see fit and I as the consumer am free to withhold my business should I choose to do so.  

kinshipcaremama
by on May. 28, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys will not be involved with boy scouts because the program is still filled with bigoted, homophobic religious zealots. I don't want my kids exposed to people like that.
JTROX
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I correctly used the word ironic.  

She choose to call me ignorant, for my beliefs, but she made herself look ignorant, by not being able to spell the word correctly.  That is ironic.

I also found her misspelling of the word ignorant to have a very humorous effect.

You are just showing yourself to be as silly as she is.  lol

Quoting Stephanie329:

When someone has nothing to say of intelligence, find a misspelled word - that'll show 'em.

If you're going to point out a misspelled word, it's best not to use the word "ironic" incorrectly.

Irony is one word that has been getting massacred more and more lately–mostly because it’s become in-fashion to use it to appear intelligent. The way most people are using it now is to reference any sort of coincidence with negative outcomes or potential:
First Person: “I was running late for work today when I had a really important meeting, and got stopped by a damn train!”
Second Person: “Ah, the irony.” (satisfied internal smile at using cool word)
Although unexpected outcomes can be part of certain definitions of irony, irony is not, by itself, any sort of unexpected outcome that is funny or negative. Yet that seems to be what most of the masses are turning it into.

Quoting JTROX:

You keep calling me intolerant, but I am not intolerant.  What am I intolerant of?  You don't like my tolerance.  Get it straight.

You spelled ignorant wrong.  Isn't that ironic.

Quoting mehamil1:

I'm offended by your support of an organization that discrimantes against people for being who they are. 

You are ignorent if you think you are not a bigot or intolerant if you support what this organization does. I am very well aware of what the words mean. Don't insult my or your intelligence.

Quoting JTROX:

I am not a bigot.  Nor am I intolerant.  You apparently do not know what the words mean.

You are offended by my tolerance, not my intolerance.

Quoting mehamil1:

This is where your bigotry comes in. By supporting this view, you are participating in oppression and bigotry and intolerance. 

I think they can say or do whatever the FUCK they want. But I will not support it nor do I believe it is in any way shape or form a "right". I will not put my son in the scouts or give money to the scouts because they are discriminatory. I do not support organizations that are intolerant and bigoted. If you want to, that's fine. But you are supporting bigotry and intolerance. There. I've showed you. 

Quoting JTROX:

Cursing is low class, but if you like it go for it.

You called me "an intolerant bigot."  That's a serious statement.  I ask you again to back it up.  Please tell me who I am intolerant of.

Quoting mehamil1:

I like to swear. The words taste good. Love it. I don't "need" to, I want to. It's kinda my thing on this board and in real life. 

My main issue was you failing to understand example using slavery. It was a real head/desk moment. 

As an organization, they can do whatever the fuck they want but it is in no way a "right". They do not have the right to discriminate. They can go right a head and do it and then reap the consequences. Your support of that kind of nonsense is where the bigotry comes in. .

dlkht
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM

My point was that all organizations cant be everything to everybody.  Children dont need to be taught how to be bad, because they do it naturally. And your name calling is really childish. 

Quoting Stephanie329:

Did you ever answer the question "how does SSM oppress you?"

Actually, you do have to teach kids how to be bad, are you saying they are born bigoted/prejudiced?

How do some of you remember to breath? You are just that dumb.

Quoting dlkht:

Actually you dont have to teach kids how to be bad, you have to teach them how to be good.  Having seperate clubs for different kids is not discrimination. 

The club had a mission statement that described what their goals and purposes was.  If you dont like that then start another club. Whats the problem?

Quoting LucyMom08:

My question is this...kids are innocent and inclusive, until we teach them differently...why would you purposely teach a child to discriminate against others?

And how does SSM oppress you?

Quoting dlkht:

My question is this... Why do all associations have to be inclusive to everyone? Why cant they just start another association and have their own mission statement and goals? 

Why do gays have to redefine the word marriage?  Why cant they call it a legal partnership? The problem seems to be that in order to be inclusive to everyone you have to opress someone else.  So just make room for both.

dlkht
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 9:11 PM

We are talking about a childrens club not segregation.  Its like sears and jcpenney.  There can be more than one type of store. We dont have to have a store for black people and a store for white people.  I agree that repeated comparisons to slavery are not the same thing. 

I also dont think that there rights were taken away from them. They did vote and made the decision that they made.  However I do feel that political correctness has pressured them into re-examining their mission statement.  Any organization is free to make that kind of decision and choice for themselves.  I just dont agree with the amount of pressure that the LGBT community puts on society.  I think there is room for all to have their own groups and clubs.  I dont think that every club has to include everyone.

Quoting jjchick75:

Pick up a history book if you want to know how well seperate but equal works.... here's a hint there is reason there are no longer black schools and white schools or black bathrooms and white bathrooms! 

Marriage has been redefined over and over and over. The fact that arranged marriages are no longer popular opitons in this country, polygamy is illegal, it's illegal to marry a sibling or cousin, and the fact that I am married to my husband(he is black and I'm white) proves that. My marriage has no impact on yours, it does not opress you in anyway, so how would allowing people of the same sex to marry be any different?

Marriage is not sacred. The fact that the divorce rate in this country proves that. That fact that so many people get married one week and are seperated teh next week proves that.  

So I guess my question is why are you so worried about something that has NOTHING in the world to do with you? Why do you care who someone else wants to marry?

Quoting dlkht:

My question is this... Why do all associations have to be inclusive to everyone? Why cant they just start another association and have their own mission statement and goals? 

Why do gays have to redefine the word marriage?  Why cant they call it a legal partnership? The problem seems to be that in order to be inclusive to everyone you have to opress someone else.  So just make room for both.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN