Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit

Posted by   + Show Post

As you can see the parents have sued even though it is the mother's fault her son is dead, and there were signs posted.  Dumb bitch.  I hate parents like this, they give good parents a bad name.

Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit

By Associated Press,May 23, 2013

PITTSBURGH — The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seek unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. He fell from the wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-23/national/39465992_1_painted-dogs-pittsburgh-zoo-elizabeth-derkosh

by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM
They put up warnings signs a d age disobeyed them. She has no grounds to sue. If I were a judge u throw out the case.
DisabledVet
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Perhaps the parents should have used some common sense instead of relying on the "nannystate" to protect them. I hpe very much the court throws this suit out. I"m sick of the encroachment of the "nannystate" it's the ensuing loss of liberties. At some point we have to act like adults. The mother lifted the child up so it's HER fault he fell...not the zoo's.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh dear God, save me from my stupidity!! I didn't know that lifting my child up on the rail might cause them to fall into a pack of wild dogs, everyone else was doing it!! Wah wah wahhhhhhhhhhhh

HappyMorgana
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

First off, you want to get rich off of your dead child? THAT in ITSELF makes me angry. It's not going to bring your child back. What good is the cash? If one of my children died, whether it was my fault or not, the last thing I would be thinking is how much is my kid's life worth? That's first of all. I never understand people suing, unless it is the other person's fault and they don't have enough for the funeral. Even at that point I wouldn't sue, if I somehow allowed my children's life insurance to lapse, (they have Gerber Life), I would be asking family before I thought of calling a lawyer.

Beyond that, the lawsuit is completely crazy! There were signs telling people NOT to do EXACTLY what she did do. So she is at fault. The zoo is not at fault. The dogs just did what the dogs do in the wild. They are vicious animals and they do this. It is natural instinct. When the child fell in, the dogs didn't do anything "wrong" persay, they did exactly what was in their natures to do. They attacked. Something, as far as they were concerned, came into what they saw as "their terroritory" and did not have the ability to understand it was a small child in their pen.

Sounds to me like she cannot accept what she has done, and that this tragedy was no one else's fault but hers. I guess I can see that part of it. If she loved her son, she certainly doesn't want to acknowledge that she was at fault. But she has too, because she was, and there is no one else she can blame. She did something stupid and wrong and now her child is dead because of it.

Either that, or, (and I shudder at this), she only cares about getting a little cold hard cash out of her son's death.

I am hoping a judge tells her that this is her fault, not the zoo's, that there was ample warning, if she had bothered to read the signs or at the very least had some common sense. Someone needs to say it to her. And after that she needs some serious therapy, who wouldn't after causing the death of their young child?

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:46 PM

No you were not overreacting, you were doing the right thing.  You were being a responsible parent. 

Quoting coronado25:

16 years ago my ex husband lifted our 2 year old daughter over the rail of the polar bear exhibit at the SF zoo. He wasnt even holding on to her! I went ballistic on him! He called me stupid and crazy and did it again at the same exhibit later that day. I nearly took our daughter to go live with my mom that very day except for someone convinced me that I was overreacting a little. Was I? Stories like this make me think not.

valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I have never been to your zoo, we have Audubon Zoo in New Orleans, and I think the next time I am there I will take photos of the signs that are up near areas. I think it is wrong that they can even sue the zoo when it is her fault.  If I was the zoo, I would pull out photos of the signs where they are located, etc. And isn't it that it states that others have done it before (in a longer story) so the defense should state it was clearly posted and she is in a long line of others who don't pay attention to the warnings.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I live here, and I totally disagree with them suing. As horrible as it must have been for that mother to watch her son being mauled to death, she bears responsibility for it because she lifted him above the railing in the first place. There are signs all over that exhibit that say do not stand or sit on the railing, etc., yet people routinely do it. She's not the first mother to put her child up on the railing like that. She's just the first one to lose her grip on him and have a tragedy of this nature occur. People fail to realize these are wild animals, whether they are in a zoo or not.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM

This

Quoting JTROX:

Unfortunately, it was parental negligence that caused their son's fall.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

The mother was negligent, not the zoo.  What a terrible thing to have happen. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I do hope the Judge throws it out and tells her lawyer he was stupid for taking the case at the same time.  Want your kid to have a better view of something at a zoo...fine pick up said child and hold them in your ARMS do NOT set them on or lean them on a guard rail. I really can't believe the stupidy of some people.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:09 PM
There are signs everywhere not to climb on the railing. Maybe they should have been better parents.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN