Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit

Posted by   + Show Post

As you can see the parents have sued even though it is the mother's fault her son is dead, and there were signs posted.  Dumb bitch.  I hate parents like this, they give good parents a bad name.

Parents sue Pittsburgh zoo in mauling death of 2-year-old boy who fell into wild dog exhibit

By Associated Press,May 23, 2013

PITTSBURGH — The parents of a 2-year-old boy who fell into a wild African dogs exhibit and was mauled to death last fall have sued the Pittsburgh zoo.

The lawsuit filed Thursday claims that officials had ample warning that parents routinely lifted children onto a rail overlooking the exhibit for a better view.

Jason and Elizabeth Derkosh seek unspecified damages in the Nov. 4 death of their son, Maddox. He fell from the wooden railing after his mother lifted him up to get a better look at the painted dogs.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-05-23/national/39465992_1_painted-dogs-pittsburgh-zoo-elizabeth-derkosh

by on May. 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

How wrong! I don't know what to say other than that!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe the zoo should sue her.  I don't have much sympathy for her or for the lawyer that brought the case.

o0gone0o
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Didn't the zoo have to put down a dog or 2 that wouldn't back off?  If  so they should counter sue her for loss of the revenue and future revenue by the off spring that willno longer be created.

I've been to that zoo with my kids, The signs are very clearly posted every couple of feet. She's at fault for her sons death not the zoo. Its horrible and sad but its just not their fault.

iwillstapleyou
by on May. 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I felt so much sympathy for her when the story first came out and she was verbally attacked by far too many people for not jumping into the pit after her son.

But suing the zoo is going too far. She didn't intend for her son to fall into the pit, but it was ultimately her mistake that caused the fall. The zoo should not be held liable for her mistake.

I honestly don't think the zoo should be held liable even if they were negligent in "warning" parents not to put children on the ledge, but I'm not a fan of "common sense" lawsuits.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Too bad the zoo can't sue the parents. 

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Like we didn't see this coming.  The bitch is trying to make a buck off of her killing her child.

Tranla
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM
That lawsuit ought to be thrown out. Even my 4 year old knows you can get hurt if you disregard things put in place to keep you safe.
funlovinlady
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Thank you, I live here to. She should have been charged with negligence. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

I live here, and I totally disagree with them suing. As horrible as it must have been for that mother to watch her son being mauled to death, she bears responsibility for it because she lifted him above the railing in the first place. There are signs all over that exhibit that say do not stand or sit on the railing, etc., yet people routinely do it. She's not the first mother to put her child up on the railing like that. She's just the first one to lose her grip on him and have a tragedy of this nature occur. People fail to realize these are wild animals, whether they are in a zoo or not.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I was waiting for this.

Stupid Woman. Se put her kid on a railing above a wild animal exhibit that had signs saying "DO NOT CLIMB ON RAILINGS". The Zoo doesn't owe her a dime.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sure her heart is broken.  I have sympathy for her...one stupid decision and her child is gone.  Honestly I don't know how she goes on day to day.  I'm not sure I could.

But I doubt they have any proof that the zoo was negligent.  I mean, it's a wild dog exhibit.  Don't put your kid on a rail, my God.  I would NEVER.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)