Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Georgia man threatens to sue if he can’t tell strangers’ children about Jesus

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 25 Replies
Georgia resident Daryl Banther. Screenshot via WTVC-TV.

A Georgia man is threatening to sue the city of Ringgold after he claims his constitutional rights were violated by police last Friday night, when officials asked him to stop bothering strangers’ children about his beliefs in the Christian deity figure Jesus Christ.

Cleveland, GA resident Daryl Banther and his 8-year-old son were reportedly handing out religious pamphlets and questionnaires at an annual celebration in Ringgold when he was confronted by the city manager and chief of police, who interrupted his proselytizing because a parent filed a police report about a strange man in the parking lot approaching children.

He left after repeated requests and was not arrested, but Banther vowed to return the next day. He then contacted the media and informed a reporter for WTVC-TV that he did just as promised, returning on Saturday night to find that he was not hassled at all.

Appearing on camera, he claimed that Christians no longer have any rights in America, then seemed aghast that an atheist could possibly file a lawsuit to force government officials to stop showing a preference for a religion.

“They were all harassing me because I have a constitutional right to do what I was doing,” Banther insisted. “If I’m anything else, I have rights,” he said. “…But as a Christian, we have rights no more. They’re taking all the Christian rights away and I’m going to stand for what’s right this time.”

The city told the station in a prepared statement that the event, the 1890s Day Jamboree, has “established procedures” for participation, like getting approval to put on any kind of exhibit. “Those exhibiting must have prior approval, and have a booth to operate the activity they are conducting,” the statement explained.

Despite the man’s insistence that America has taken all the rights away from Christians, the city-sponsored event last Friday evening was a southern gospel music festival, featuring The Heritage Quartet among others.

About 78 percent of Americans self-identified as Christian in 2012, according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life.

This video is from WTVC-TV, aired Saturday, May 25, 2013.

http://www.newschannel9.com/news/top-stories/stories/police-stop-man-handing-out-religious-pamphlets-5607.shtml

by on May. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Is this your local news?
gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

What a freaking idiot! Why do some people believe that it is only their own personal rights that should be respected? If people do not want him approaching their children, then he shouldn't.

krysstizzle
by on May. 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM
What a douche.

"My christian rights were violated....at a gospel concert!" Lol. What a moron
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on May. 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM
2 moms liked this

Hell, I wouldnt want a strange man approaching my child either

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM

No. I live in Texas

Quoting AlekD:

Is this your local news?

AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Just curious, how do you find all the articles you post?

Quoting -Celestial-:

No. I live in Texas

Quoting AlekD:

Is this your local news?

BestestMom11
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Only in Georgia....

Pass out pamphlets, fine. But he shouldn't be approaching children.
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

So if he wants to save people or whatever why is he only trying to save children? Not like they can drive to church. Seems kind of creepy and off to me. But he can say whatever he wants I guess, just know if he approaches my child he may get punched or cussed out, which is of course my right.

rfurlongg
by on May. 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Good grief. Not the smartest tool in the shed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

What a moron.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN