Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mother of the Year ! NOT !! Marianne Lake CFO of JPMorgan

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 55 Replies

One new thing we learned is that Lake, 42, is a single mother of a one-and-a-half year-old baby boy.

She tells Levin how she manages the intense demands of her job:

"So far, so good. I rely on a small circle of friends and my great nanny. In the mornings, I try to spend anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes with my son. Failing that, I try for 30 to 60 minutes together at the end of the day. I try to make that work, but if I can't I just move on. You can't beat yourself up about it. I never worried about raising a kid on my own. I'm 42, not 20 with my eyes closed. The circumstances aren't traditional, but I didn't hesitate to do it."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/marianne-lake-marie-claire-2013-5#ixzz2UhzSd39D

by on May. 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Sigh

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

What happened to the whole "It takes a village"?  I guess that's not cool anymore. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
What is so horrible about her? Strange, calling someone a shitty mom based on a single sentence...
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Im not sure I understand the problem. Sounds like she has a very demanding job and she's trying hard to balance work and mommy hood. Sure it's not ideal but the alternative is for her to quit her job and then when her money runs out what is she supposed to do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TypeAndRun
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

lol pretty sure her money would not run out.
This type of career is never fair to children of a single parent...period!

Quoting Roxygurl:

Im not sure I understand the problem. Sounds like she has a very demanding job and she's trying hard to balance work and mommy hood. Sure it's not ideal but the alternative is for her to quit her job and then when her money runs out what is she supposed to do?

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
So you know what's in her bank account?? You know that the money she has right now will sustain her and her son until you see fit for her to return to work?

What do you say about the single mom who works at Walmart during the day and as a waitress at night seeing her child just as often as this CEO? Is she an awful mom because she's doing what she can to provide for her child?

I am a full time nanny. I see the kids more often than their parents who are divorced. Mom sees the oldest one for 30 minutes in the morning during the school year and the youngest she doesn't see in the morning most days because he's still asleep when she leaves. In the evening she gets 2 hours with them before they go to bed. So is she a horrible mother?

Quoting TypeAndRun:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Very good point.

Quoting Roxygurl:

So you know what's in her bank account?? You know that the money she has right now will sustain her and her son until you see fit for her to return to work?

What do you say about the single mom who works at Walmart during the day and as a waitress at night seeing her child just as often as this CEO? Is she an awful mom because she's doing what she can to provide for her child?

Quoting TypeAndRun:

Quoting Roxygurl:

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Shes a woman. She doesn't get paid as much as a man doing the same job. She probably needs those hours.

I have my own opinion about the other stuff in the article. But I don't know her or her situation.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Depends on your definition of fair.  My kids don't think it's fair that we can't go to Disney World every weekend ... but they have to learn to accept it. 

I'm so sick of all the judgement on other parents.  If the child is taken care of and happy, why do you care?  How do you know he isn't super happy with his nanny?  Why do you care that he is taken good care of by her all day and not his mom?  What difference does it make?  Do you think it's "unfair" to the kid when a parent dies and he has to live out his life with his grandma or aunt?  Enjoying spending as much time as you want with your child.  Worry about that and not someone elses kid.

Quoting TypeAndRun:

Quoting Roxygurl:

TypeAndRun
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I think the mom you described loves her child more than anything in the world and will do whatever it takes, I admire her!

Marianne Lake views her child as a possession to be scheduled.   I guarantee you she spent more time and energy getting ready for her picture and interview than with her child for the entire week,.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting TypeAndRun:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)