Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monsanto Modified Wheat Unapproved by USDA Found in Oregon Field

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
  • 69 Replies

Monsanto Modified Wheat Unapproved by USDA Found in Oregon Field

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is investigating a report of genetically modified wheat, which wasn’t approved for use, in Oregon this month, raising questions of how the Monsanto Co. (MON) product got into a farmer’s field.

A farmer attempting to kill wheat with the company’s Roundup herbicide found several plants resisted the weedkiller and notified Oregon State University, said Michael Firko, acting deputy administrator of the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Scientists found the wheat was field-tested from 1998 to 2005 and deemed safe for consumption before Monsanto pulled the product from the regulatory approval process.

A farmer attempting to kill wheat with Monsanto Co.’s Roundup herbicide found several plants resisted the weedkiller and notified Oregon State University. Photographer: Victor J. Blue/Bloomberg

“We are taking this very seriously,” Firko said. “We have a very active investigation going on in several states in the western U.S.”

Government investigators are tracking the origin of the plants and consulting with trade partners to assure them the exposure is limited and poses no threat to human health, he said.

Monsanto of St. Louis is the world’s biggest seed producer. The company halted plans to develop modified wheat in May 2004 after the Canadian Wheat Board, the world’s largest grain seller, said its 10 biggest red spring-wheat importers, includingJapan, the U.K. and Malaysia, wouldn’t accept modified varieties. Italy’s biggest miller, Grandi Molini Italiani, was among buyers in Europe and Asia that refused to import modified wheat amid consumer unease over eating such products.

There are no genetically engineered wheat varieties approved for general planting, USDA said.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Jon Morgan at jmorgan97@bloomberg.net;

Jen #1238904688930684906

by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themissheather
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Nothing will come of this. The government is showin NO indication it will stand up to Monsanto any time soon. This is so scary.
Healthystart30
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM
2 moms liked this
How much will they pay this time to play this down? And who did the FDA send? Monsantos former employees? This is so ridiculous it's almost comical!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Monsanto and the US government are in bed together-

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I bet this happens more often than not.

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM
My questions are, why was the farmer wanting to kill the wheat that he successfully killed with the Round Up herbicide? And who here wants to buy anything from a farmer who uses Round Up anyway? For the record, but not on topic, I will eat any wheat and ROund Up or any other herbicide doesnt freak me out and no I do not work in food agriculture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting coronado25:

My questions are, why was the farmer wanting to kill the wheat that he successfully killed with the Round Up herbicide? And who here wants to buy anything from a farmer who uses Round Up anyway? For the record, but not on topic, I will eat any wheat and ROund Up or any other herbicide doesnt freak me out and no I do not work in food agriculture.

Cool! Hopefully we can get some laws about labeling out so you can keep eating crap and I can avoid it, that would be nothing but fair.
Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on May. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

....I am worried about the companies who refuse to use GMOs.

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM
So am I the only person with the above questionwhich is Why was the farmer out killing his own wheat with Round Up anyway?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Talee
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 5:10 PM

BUMP!

rfurlongg
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Probably.

Quoting Talee:

I bet this happens more often than not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)