Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think this is OK? Or just wrong? Should fat women even wear swimsuits at all?

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 181 Replies

ABC News Blogs

Introducing The 'Fatkini': Two-Piece Swimsuit for Full Figures

By   

ABC News' Linsey Davis reports:

As summer approaches, Hollywood's hottest bodies are already hitting the beach in their bikini best. But the bikini babes making the biggest splash this summer are proving you don't have to be a size two to wear a two-piece.

The newest swimsuit making waves is nicknamed the "fatkini," partially designed by plus-sized blogger Gabi Gregg.

"I really wanted to design bikinis that were stylish, young and fresh," Gregg, 25, of Chicago, told ABC News. "I think a lot of the swimwear on the market right now for plus sizes is just kind of frumpy and matronly and a lot of it is designed to cover us up."

Sales for the popular galaxy-print bikini are out of this world, selling out in just two days.

"From my readers, them seeing me in a bikini has really pushed them to try it out because they've said, 'I've never done this or I haven't worn a bikini in 10 years, but thank you so much. I finally have the confidence now that I see how great you look,'" Gregg explained.

Demand was so overwhelming that the retailer "Swimsuits for All" has said some people who ordered the two-piece won't receive it.

Liz Black, of Bloomington, N.J., is the creator of the plus size style blog P.S. It's Fashion, and was thrilled to get her hands on one.

"Every woman wants something that fits her body, her curves, her style and to have options like this. When you are larger, they are so few and far between, this is such an amazing opportunity," said Black. "Every woman wants to feel sexy and you can't feel sexy when you're drowning in a big old swim dress."

And the fashion industry appears to be listening.  

One headline questioned, "Is This the End of the Skinny Girl?" in reference to a recent H&M ad using a plus-size model to showcase its new swimwear collection.

"I think we just need to get to a point with what we're surrounded by in the media, in Hollywood and in stores to show the American woman that it's OK to be a size 14 and in your bathing suit," Lori Bergamotto, contributing style editor of Lucky magazine, said.

The popularity of the new plus sized two-piece begs the question of why it took so long for designers to make a swimsuit like this.

"I think I understand why it took so long," Black said. "I think they feel like plus-size women, bigger women in general, just want to hide away and be covered up and they're finally realizing that that's so far from the truth."

The suits range from size 10 to 24, sending the message to the fashion industry to make more. The majority of women in America are reportedly a size 14 or larger, and it appears there is an untapped market of women waiting to spend their money on something fabulous.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM
13 moms liked this

Women of any size are allowed to wear whatever they want as long as it covers the essential parts in public. Whether they look good in it or not may be a separate matter altogether. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:50 PM
33 moms liked this

Fat women should wear swimsuits if they are swimming. People who don't like it should get lives.

trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it's awesome!

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I just looked at it and it's much nicer than I thought it would be.  I wouldn't wear it, but I didn't even wear bikinis when I was young and skinny and pre-kids.  I do think it's very pretty. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM
13 moms liked this

SuperChicken
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The fabric is ugly, but the suit is nice.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't care for the print but I do like the suit.

Women, regardless of any thing other, can wear what they want.  What they feel comfortable in.

I'm not going to lie and say I have never taken a double take and wondered if some one owned a mirror but I'm sure some one has thought that of me, more than once.

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I am a fat woman. I was going to order the galaxy one, but I was too late. I did, however, find a super cute suit that makes me feel gorgeous.

However, there are many people who think that fat women shouldn't even be out in public. Last summer there was a letter in our tiny local paper about how disgusted someone was that fat women come to the pool and "pollute" his vision, when he really wants to look at "pretty women".

Added to that was an acquaintance who asked me how I can possibly wear shorts, given my weight. She's a size 4 (I asked, she wants to be a zero) and is afraid to wear shorts or a swimsuit because she's 'so fat'.

So, I posted this to see what people think.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Fat women should wear swimsuits if they are swimming. If it bothers you...get a life of your own to worry about.

lga1965
by on May. 29, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

In Europe,wherever we went , women who were much bigger wore swim suits, some bikinis. They don't worry. :-)

Personally, I wouldn't wear a two piece , maybe not even a one piece, if I was obese but that's my problem. LOL.

We need to be more like Europeans. In many ways.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
13 moms liked this

I think we need to get over our skinny worship. I think people of all sizes should enjoy outdoor fun. That woman in the pic ROCKS that suit!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)