Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok school me. When we had settlers from England...

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 100 Replies

...make their way to the Americas...what was their purpose to found America. Was it to be Christian....or was it to be free of the Christian church in England.

This is an argument between my sister and I...I have been told we were founded on Christianity..and I guess I get that..however were they not trying to get away from a religious government?

This may seem like a stupid question to some but I was force fed for years. 

It makes sense to separate religion from gov't to me..even tho I was brought up super conservative. Freedom is outside of religion, to me anyway.

Jen #1238904688930684906

by on May. 29, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:05 PM
5 moms liked this

Well to be quite truthful the original settlers here from Brittain and Europe were sent here by those governments to settle the land and send back anything and everything that could be considered worth money. It had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with profit.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they were trying to get rid of oppressive, restrictive, religious requirements. 

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Too many different stories to be told.

Truth probably, some guy got sick of living under the rule of another person. Loaded up some boats, found land and became another ruler. Its how all political parties and states have come to be.

They came with their own version of religion, and spread out with different denominations and beliefs

One big clusterphuck if you ask me.

finnbar
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
She needs to watch the Disney Pocohantas: all will be illuminated

Quoting Arroree:

Well to be quite truthful the original settlers here from Brittain and Europe were sent here by those governments to settle the land and send back anything and everything that could be considered worth money. It had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with profit.

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM

You first three responses have given me all kinds of...gee lol

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I think that would be the second wave of settlers.  My ancestors were of the merchant class that came over in 1630 on The Winthrop Fleet

Quoting Arroree:

jehosoba84
by Jenn on May. 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Wish I could help you. I know that when *my* ancestors first came here (Louisiana) it was because they refused to convert to the Church of England. But that was in 1765, long after the first settlers of the US.

quickbooksworm
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM
3 moms liked this
The original settlers were basically volunteers to come over and establish a settlement. Most Protestants were actually more conservative than Catholics at the time. Once the settlements were built, they were told to send everything of value to England and they were taxed like crazy. That's when the colonies revolted. It was all about taxes. So was the Civil War even though we tell kids it was about slavery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Talee
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Quoting jehosoba84:

Wish I could help you. I know that when *my* ancestors first came here (Louisiana) it was because they refused to convert to the Church of England. But that was in 1765, long after the first settlers of the US.

Well ive been told we originate from Edward Teach...blackbeard lol but thats besides the point I guess.

Jen #1238904688930684906

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Anyway what was this country founded on..God? Or Freedom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)