Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Misspelled Sign in Oregon Drives Man to Do Something Completely Insane

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 24 Replies

Misspelled Sign in Oregon Drives Man to Do Something Completely Insane

by Maressa Brown

pressure cookerWhile driving around, we've all seen misspelled signs in front of stores and even government institutions. The number of typos, grammatical errors, and misspellings all over the web are appalling. Seriously, this country is in DIRE need of more copy editors. That said, getting all worked up about a spelling error is never an excuse to get VIOLENT. Or threaten violence. Unfortunately, that's exactly what a spelling stickler in Oregon did yesterday.

Leonard Burdek walked into the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission office and placed a pressure cooker with wires sticking out of it on the counter, explaining that he had been trying to use it to blow up a sign outside. Why? Because he was aggravated by its spelling error, of course. The sign is missing the "d" in the word "and." ... I know.

Thank goodness police soon discovered the pressure cooker wasn't actually a bomb. But still! What the hell was this guy thinking? You just don't do something like that. You don't even joke about it, not in the wake of the Boston bombings or other recent violence our country has had to face in public institutions, like Sandy Hook.

Seriously, could Burdek have chosen a more inappropriate way to get all worked up about a misspelling? Hell, to say what he was threatening to blow up was a "misspelling" may actually be a misnomer. On most signs, it's more likely that the "d" just happened to go rogue -- either by falling off, fading away, or not lighting up anymore. In other words, it's not that someone thought it best to spell the word without it. In this case, it actually looks like the "d" was scratched off or faded over time. (Geeze, how nuts would it be if it was BURDEK who scratched it off?!)

Apparently, Burdek was all freaked out about other types of legit misspellings. A local paper reports that he complained that the instructions he downloaded to make the bomb also had misspellings, and the employees in the office should be concerned about the level of education children receive given that his instructions were rife with errors. WOW.

All in all, it sounds like the guy has more than a few screws loose  and/or was just looking for attention. So nuts. The only takeaway I see here is that this is a pretty obvious warning to anyone all worked up about something that drives them up a wall: Bomb threats are NEVER the right way get your point across.  

How insane is this?!

by on May. 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
6 moms liked this
Unfortunately, I understand where he's coming from even though I wouldn't do it.
Near where I live there is a sign for one of psychic reading places. Unfortunately, the lady had a sign painted that states she is a "Physic Reader". And the sign has been misspelled for over ten years. Whenever I pass the sign, it takes all of my self control not to run in there in a state of panic, demanding an emergency reading. Then when she comes in ill throw a ball and beg for her to give me the correct trajectory. I know I'd get beaten up or arrested
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
This is crazy on so many levels.

Still, Oregon Teacher Standards an(d) Practices Commission office should be embarrassed by this story
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I almost choked on my hashbrown laughing omg.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Unfortunately, I understand where he's coming from even though I wouldn't do it.

Near where I live there is a sign for one of psychic reading places. Unfortunately, the lady had a sign painted that states she is a "Physic Reader". And the sign has been misspelled for over ten years. Whenever I pass the sign, it takes all of my self control not to run in there in a state of panic, demanding an emergency reading. Then when she comes in ill throw a ball and beg for her to give me the correct trajectory. I know I'd get beaten up or arrested

yourspecialkid
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

We use the newspaper and online articles in our homeschool classes.  The paper has gotten better.  I can't help but wonder if it is because we have been sending them the corrections.

I get annoyed with a lot of them.  They are the result of laziness.  A spellchecker does not get them all for you.

I do have some flex for the stupid phone autocorrects.

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I know. I've been laughing and driving resolutely past that place for so long, it has caused me physical pain. I've even gone so far as to bring along a ball before but fear is a great motivator even in a degenerate slave to comedy as myself.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

candlegal
by Judy on May. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM

rolling on floor

Quoting AdrianneHill:

SuperChicken
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I love signs that are wrong like that.    They make be laugh and brighten my day.   There is a drycleaners nearby that offers "Taylor's Services" in the window and I giggle every time I walk by wondering just what kind of services this Taylor offers, lol.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

SuperChicken
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

If you ever do it, please bring a friend with a video camera.  We'd all like to watch :)

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I know. I've been laughing and driving resolutely past that place for so long, it has caused me physical pain. I've even gone so far as to bring along a ball before but fear is a great motivator even in a degenerate slave to comedy as myself.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 31, 2013 at 10:21 AM
LOL

Quoting AdrianneHill:

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Haha. Yikes. Some people take things way too far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)