Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Issues within the Christian v. Atheist debate

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 263 Replies

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

This guy doesn't make much sense.

I don't know any (Literally none) atheist that believe God is like what this priest described them saying he (she?) is like. Every (Literally all of them) the atheist I know don't believe in God.

SuperChicken
by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM
5 moms liked this

We don't imagine God as any being at all.  He is imaginary.   So this guy is full of poop.   He doesn't understand Atheists, so he's making poop up.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this
You do know atheists do not believe in any god, right?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM
7 moms liked this

Apparently we do, we're just imagining him wrong.   If we could only imagine him right, then we'd be Catholics.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You do know atheists do not believe in any god, right?

His lack of understanding is astounding.  He actually thinks that good (old) Atheists just don't "like" God, and that he finds new Atheists offensive because we actually have the audacity to come right out and say God does not exist.

AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I dont think he means that atheists believe in God. He is arguing against the perception that Atheists tend to have of the beliefs of Christians, saying that they believe in a "magical sky fairy" and other such nonsense.

Quoting SuperChicken:

We don't imagine God as any being at all.  He is imaginary.   So this guy is full of poop.   He doesn't understand Atheists, so he's making poop up.

brookiecookie87
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this

That's the point we are all making. Atheist don't believe that.

They literally believe God doesn't exist. Not in him as a person on a couch. Not a fairy. Not a dragon. Not the sky. Not in Heaven. Not a colorful cartoon character. They littlerally believe he doesn't exist.

Quoting AlekD:

I dont think he means that atheists believe in God. He is arguing against the perception that Atheists tend to have of the beliefs of Christians, saying that they believe in a "magical sky fairy" and other such nonsense.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Join us on the 99% Moms group!
The Ninety-Nine Percent Moms   

If they enforced bank regulations like they do park rules, we wouldn't be in this mess

MissTacoBell
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this
He presents very good arguments, though he is trying to reconcile atheism with deism and coming out with an extreme version of agnosticism (all wrong of course).

I agree on apologetics and the comparison between classical and contemporary atheists. Classical atheists had arguments and respected the choice of the faithful. Contemporary atheists just poke fun at the faithful while slinging childish names their way. Though that's not what ALL atheists are like and those that are make bad names for the rest.
SuperChicken
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Most Atheists in America WERE Christians.  We have a pretty clear picture of what Christianity is about.

I like his attempt to get airy fairy about how Catholics picture God, but I've seen the paintings.     Kinda silly to get offended by Atheists saying Magical Sky God (I don't know about fairy?), when the Catholic church has a million and one art pieces portraying him as such.   Always a long white haired guy sitting in a cloud.

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting SuperChicken:

AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I understand that they literally think God doesnt exist. He is speaking about how, in debates between christians and atheists, atheists like to say things like "I dont believe in a magic sky fairy" etc, and how that is an argument against a belief that no one has, a strawman, since Christians dont believe that God is a physical person who lives somewhere out in space.

Quoting brookiecookie87:That's the point we are all making. Atheist don't believe that.They literally believe God doesn't exist. Not in him as a person on a couch. Not a fairy. Not a dragon. Not the sky. Not in Heaven. Not a colorful cartoon character. They littlerally believe he doesn't exist.
Quoting AlekD:I dont think he means that atheists believe in God. He is arguing against the perception that Atheists tend to have of the beliefs of Christians, saying that they believe in a "magical sky fairy" and other such nonsense.

Quoting SuperChicken:We don't imagine God as any being at all.  He is imaginary.   So this guy is full of poop.   He doesn't understand Atheists, so he's making poop up.
AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:04 PM
4 moms liked this
Art isnt always literal. Depictions of the Eternal Father arent meant to be taken as the actual likeness of God, but rather an admittedly human and limited symbol of an ineffable Truth. I think most Christians understand this.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Most Atheists in America WERE Christians.  We have a pretty clear picture of what Christianity is about.

I like his attempt to get airy fairy about how Catholics picture God, but I've seen the paintings.     Kinda silly to get offended by Atheists saying Magical Sky God (I don't know about fairy?), when the Catholic church has a million and one art pieces portraying him as such.   Always a long white haired guy sitting in a cloud.

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting SuperChicken:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)