Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IF EVERYONE IN OK HAD TRIED TO EVACUATE WHEN THE WARNINGS STARTED

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM
  • 26 Replies
Do you think everyone would have been safe today? Where would the best place have been for them to go? Do you pack your belongings and flee whenever your local weather reporters tout severe weather?

With light and love

by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I have never lived in an area where there are tornadoes.  I can't answer these questions.

I have been in one, many years ago, in Indiana.  I don't want to live where there are tornadoes.  I've never been so scared in my life.

In Okinawa, there were to Tsunamis while there.  That was bad enough for me.   We were on the 8th floor.  I watched a motorcycle fly through the air.  

momof3198
by New Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:45 PM
4 moms liked this
do you live in Oklahoma and if so you would know that if everyone tried to evacuate at once more people would have been trapped on the road in the storms. I 35 & I40 along with alot of othe main hiways were clogged and made it more dangerous for everyone try News9 in Oklahoma. If you are a long time resident of Oklahoma you have storm celler or a plan in place and have you stuff ready when the storms start to fire off and the say be weather aware.
ElitestJen
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Nope.  The highways would've been gridlocked.  Oh wait, they already are. 

The best place for them to go is underground: a basement or cellar. 

No, we don't go anywhere when there's a threat of severe weather.  When there's a tornado warning (note: warning, not watch), we go to our storm cellar.

TugBoatMama
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:48 PM

We don't get warnings advanced enough for evacuation like they do for hurricanes. If we were to go about it that way, it would be chaos.

thanush
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM

You go to the basement when you hear the sirens.. It's nt safe to be out on a highway when there is a tornedo warning. and tournedos are unpredictable. I lived in MO until this year and that's what we did. we slept in  the basement ( it was completed) on nights that had thunderstorm warning just to be safe. Most people die from tornadoes because they didn't have a basement or a cellar in the house :( ( Joplin tornado)

Jenn_A
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:53 PM

No, they would not have been safe. Ya'll are hearing about the storms in OKC, but there were tornado's across the state. The roads were nuts. The woman and baby that died were killed in a wreck, not the tornado.

Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on May. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM

probably about the same as a last minute hurricane evacuation. so, no, i do not think people would have been safe.

I would love to be able to leave during severe weather, though, it is not financially feasible. (I hate Texas) 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It's way safer to be underground than in a car stuck in traffic. Tornados are too unpredictable for there to be enough time to get everyone out of harms way. When instantaneous teleportation is invented and available to everyone, then you can whine about people not evacuating in time to get away from a tornado. :)

progressandjoy
by Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM
No, absolutely not.

The best place to be in a tornado? A storm shelter or basement; a crawl space works, too. The worst place? A mobile home or your vehicle. Laying down on the side of the road in a ditch is safer than sitting in your car.

I'm from Joplin. We don't 'flee' when a tornado comes. We already have a small emergency kit that sits next to our crawl space. When the weather gets bad, we get under the house.
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:51 AM

under ground is the safest. Basically they should be able to see the thing coming they should get in ditches if on the roads and they would be safer too many do not know what to do in the storms like that they sit there and panic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)