Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is it OK for employers to spy on employees?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 126 Replies

Is it OK for employers to spy on employees? To read their emails and check internet usage, video them in the office, etc.?

Where's the line between security and invasion of privacy?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM
9 moms liked this

I think it's common practice for them to read e-mails used with the company e-mail address, and check the internet usage if they are providing the internet service. Any video in the office should be used for security purposes only. Beyond that, when it comes to social media stalking etc, I think companies shouldn't be allowed to spy.

BabyFruit Ticker
Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think it depends on the policy of the company. I have seen many employers do this though, including screening the searches done on a company computer; not allow personal emails; videos are allowed in certain areas if it's posted/ notification...

In our company we have cameras in public areas, and can see what employees are doing, and if they are doing what they should be. IT's also recorded, has been very helpful, even for security purposes.

Invasion of privacy? Well, it is paid work time. Honestly, you learn a lot about people on here (CM) too... like when they are on CM, and "at work"- it's company paid time, not unpaid personal time.

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Read emails? Yes. You shouldn't be emailing with company software anything personal.

Internet usage? Yes. You shouldn't be using it while you're supposed to be working & shouldn't be visiting sites you wouldn't want others to know about.

Videoing them in office? No ... not unless probably cause that they are doing something illegal or against company policy while on the job.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Well as far as computers go. If your using their network then they have every right to check it and if you want something hidden do it in your private email not your work email.
RachelsMercy
by on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Seeing as some employers demand your facebook passcodes and it is NOT illegal for them to do it, I guess the majority of people must think it's okay. (sarcasm intended)

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
If they are on company computers, yes. I worked briefly as a secretary at Microsoft. There were video cameras, and they monitored email and internet. It was fine. Nobody was making me work there. If I didn't like it, I could have gone elsewhere. I did, but not for those reasons.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Of course it is.

It's legal for them to hire a private investigator to follow you during work hours, they can search your car in the office parking lot...your employer isn't obligated to offer you any kind of privacy with regards to what you do on their dollar.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I do think it is OK for employers to read work email and check internet usage.  LOL while I am using my work computer and work internet to play on CM while at work.  :)

little.worthen
by Tess on Jun. 4, 2013 at 11:57 AM
I think doing those things to make sure employees are actually doing their work and not dicking off is reasonable.
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Should you expect privacy at work?  Probably not.

I don't see a problem with an employer doing any of those things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)