Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Scariest Bridge In America?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 49 Replies

So I was watching some brainless TV, Inside Edition, and saw a preview for The Scariest bridge in America. It looked like the Bay Bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Bay. Sure enough it was! I've crossed this bridge so many times I couldn't give you the number. I've been over it during a storm, and yes it's very scary. Now I'm a little nervous about crossing it again. 

The Scariest Bridge in America

The Scariest Bridge in America

Airdate: 06/05/2013

It may be the scariest bridge in America. 

What makes it so terrifying to cross?

First off, it’s really high, nearly 200 feet in spots, and its 4.3 miles long from end to end.  For some motorists, getting behind the wheel and driving across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in Maryland is simply out of the question.

Carolyn Casey is so afraid she actually hires a guy to do the driving for her.

She said, “What happened was I suffered major a panic attack. My peripheral vision went black. I thought I was going to pass out into oncoming traffic.”

For $25, Bay Bridge Drive Overs takes Casey in her own car over the bridge.

INSIDE EDITION’s Les Trent went along for the ride. Alex Robinson owns the company and business is booming.

Trent asked, “How many times do you do this?”

Robinson, “Today, this is number 19. So far, yes." 

Even in the passenger's seat Casey is still apprehensive. All she can think about are images like the bridge collapse in Minnesota in 2007 or footage of drivers crossing the Bay Bridge in weather that can change on a dime.

Trent asked, "Is it ok how slow we are going across this bridge with all of the traffic?"

She said, "No, it is not. I am sweating." 

Trent asked, “What about this bridge?”

She said, “It's functionally obsolete, there are not even any emergency pull offs. Do you really think that's going to keep us from going over?”

And it's not just women using the service. Jay Gaskin has to commute across the bridge every day to get to work. He's a brawny guy who operates heavy equipment but he’s been to psychiatrists to deal with his fear of crossing the bridge.

He said, “They tried to hypnotize me but it does not work whatsoever.”

And he can't get out of his head the image from 1940 of a bridge in Tacoma, Washington literally blowing in the wind and then crashing to the water below.

Robinson says he’s driven across the bridge 10,000 times in four years on behalf of his clients.  He sees himself as a therapist and always tries to keep the conversation away from the dreaded bridge.

Casey told Trent, “We don't talk about the bridge, Les!”

Trent then asked, “We just made it over the bridge how do you feel?”

She said, “Better.”

by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg1989
Watashi wa anata o aishite Mugiwara Kaizokuban <3
Yesterday at 11:49 PM
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Its not that scary! I can see it from my house :D I wouldnt call it the scariest at all! Its how we get to Ocean City!! whooo!
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I think there are some truckers and others that would disagree with this. 

For some the scariest brige is down in Lousiana , the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway.

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Love the view! Where are you located? 

Quoting mlg1989:

Mobile Photo

Its not that scary! I can see it from my house :D I wouldnt call it the scariest at all! Its how we get to Ocean City!! whooo!

TugBoatMama
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

There are two bridges in Baton Rouge. I hate the oldest one because it was built in the 30's. I had to cross it four times a day to get my dh from work and it made my heart pound every time.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Tthe skyway bridge that connects St Pete to Bradenton..

Its hard to no think about the collapse when you go over it..

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Is that the one that feels like it is shifting?

Quoting TugBoatMama:

There are two bridges in Baton Rouge. I hate the oldest one because it was built in the 30's. I had to cross it four times a day to get my dh from work and it made my heart pound every time.

TugBoatMama
by on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah. Its all rust colored and ugly and it was extra scary when the wind  would blow.

Quoting stormcris:

Is that the one that feels like it is shifting?

Quoting TugBoatMama:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
The scariest bridge I've been on is the Mackinaw Bridge. It sways. *Shivers*
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I hate bridges! They all scare the s*** out of me!
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I used to drive across it all the time. I didn't think about the crash but I had a really hard time with it. Its really high and not very wide IMO. I thought it was a bridge thing but I drove across Courtney Campbell Causeway all the time with no problem. The Skyway makes me sweat.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Tthe skyway bridge that connects St Pete to Bradenton..

Its hard to no think about the collapse when you go over it..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)