Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 186 Replies
7 moms liked this

This was pretty on spot for me!!

22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From Each Other

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6?op=1#ixzz2VTLOaamM

by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matofour
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Bahahahaha! I LOVE this! I grew up in the Midwest, moved to jersey at 18. I get made fun of for drinking pop, wearing tennis shoes, the way I say crayon. This list makes me feel vindicated!!!!!
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
4 moms liked this

The one they left out for a group of people is one we hated with a passion in eastern PA...."youse" or "youse guys" (pronounced like use). Helloooooooo, YOU is not plural. It can be you guys, y'all or all y'all, but not youse. It just sounds ignorant.

My mil said they said pecan as "pee-can" once in SC or NC and was told a pee can goes under the bed. I was surprised that SC & NC had that as their way of saying it.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

LOL.

PamR
by Pam on Jun. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM
4 moms liked this

Pretty accurate.  We southerners do call all soft drinks Coke - an orange coke, grape coke, etc. 

Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Seems like we Zonies are pretty middle-of-the-road on some things. :)

Great link and I've bookmarked it to share with others.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting!

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

LOL, I call them gym shoes :) But pop is a must!! 

Quoting matofour:

Bahahahaha! I LOVE this! I grew up in the Midwest, moved to jersey at 18. I get made fun of for drinking pop, wearing tennis shoes, the way I say crayon. This list makes me feel vindicated!!!!!

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I like the under the bed can lmao :)

Quoting DSamuels:

The one they left out for a group of people is one we hated with a passion in eastern PA...."youse" or "youse guys" (pronounced like use). Helloooooooo, YOU is not plural. It can be you guys, y'all or all y'all, but not youse. It just sounds ignorant.

My mil said they said pecan as "pee-can" once in SC or NC and was told a pee can goes under the bed. I was surprised that SC & NC had that as their way of saying it.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I was going to ask someone what you'd call orange pop. So gingerale or 7-up would be white soda?

Quoting PamR:

Pretty accurate.  We southerners do call all soft drinks Coke - an orange coke, grape coke, etc. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jun. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I laughed at it. If you go all the way to the end, there's a lot more questions in a drop down and it breaks it in your city if you choose. 

Quoting Lizardannie1966:

Seems like we Zonies are pretty middle-of-the-road on some things. :)

Great link and I've bookmarked it to share with others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)