Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Fundamentalist Christianity -- a psychological problem?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 243 Replies
6 moms liked this

Psychology Today takes it on:

Three Fixations of Fundamentalist Christians ("There is, of course, no simple solution to the problem of fundamentalism.")

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/rationally-speaking/200906/three-fixations-fundamentalist-christians

"...the fundamentalist is fundamentally driven by anxiety layered over a fragile sense of self-identity constructed upon a system of beliefs that is both logically inconsistent and highly suspect in light of modern science. As a result, the fundamentalist completely rejects modernity while battling mightily in the arena of national politics and culture to bring about a world that aligns more closely with the fundamentalist worldview."    http://www.infidels.org/kiosk/book1029.html

"The clash in values between fundamentalists on the one hand, and main-stream religion and society on the other, has led to the beginnings of a religious showdown in the USA. Modern fundamentalists are pushing for an effective end to the separation of church and state. They are attempting to impose an ideology on society which legislates away people's freedoms, and replaces them with arbitrary, so-called "Christian," values which all must follow. The Christian Right is working toward this goal by trying to gain control of the political process at all levels..."   http://www.markmason.net/newsrel2.htm

These are just a few examples of why I view fundamentalism as a psychological disorder above anything else.

edit: psychological problem

by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hockytwndhampyr
by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Interesting thought...
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

bump

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
6 moms liked this
If you're a fundamentalist on "anything" you'll have problems far beyond the reach of mental health experts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not see human disposition as a psychological disorder. If you are going to call the need to control others a psychological disorder then most people in the world have such.

littlemoments99
by Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM
11 moms liked this

Wow....you know. My husband and I joke sometimes about liberalism being a psychological disorder, but we don't actually think that. We just think people are misinformed and are stubborn. 

That's extremely rude to say about something which you know nothing about. I am a very strong Christian and I know my thoughts, morals, values, etc. are all correct. I am not perfect, but I know that God is alive and is in control. I know I can't make anyone believe anything and I don't try to make anyone believe anything. I simply give my opinion and my reasons why I think the way I do and they can take it or leave it. I will gladly listen to opinions that differ and I don't get offended if they say they don't believe in God. 

America was founded on Christian beliefs. That's why we have the laws we do. The laws that were originally written are very Biblical. America was never meant to have a religion, the only reason this is, is because our founding fathers didn't want it to be like England. They wanted people to be able to come here and be able to live their lives freely. That doesn't mean the country doesn't have values or laws based on a religion. If it was just a nation with no religion as a base then the laws would be all crazy, like they are starting to become. 

America can have Christian values and laws but still be respectful of those who don't want to be Christian. That's called freedom. What liberals are trying to do is make Christians go away all together and that is not right. I have every right to say something is wrong and if I feel like my religious rights are being stepped on then I am not going to just sit back and say nothing. People in this country who actually think Christians are the problem need to look at themselves first. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Interesting.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM
3 moms liked this

It could be a fixation, like anything else that might consume one's life and affect relationships.  Like rabid atheism, or pro-anything, or anti-anything.

But standing alone, and without evidence of inability to function or reason, no, it is not a "disorder". 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM
13 moms liked this
Sounds like a not-so-clever way to tear down a persons religious beliefs. "We don't like how these people believe, so lets label it a disorder to lessen its power!"
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Who the F said "disorder?" 

Quoting kailu1835:

Sounds like a not-so-clever way to tear down a persons religious beliefs. "We don't like how these people believe, so lets label it a disorder to lessen its power!"

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM
11 moms liked this
I agreed with you up until the point that you said we were founded on Christian beliefs. We weren't. If anything, they were pagan beliefs that Christianity was built on. None of the founders were true Christians, as they did not believe in Jesus as the son of God. Our constitution is distinctly void of any and all religious references, and one does not need to be a Christian to believe in doing what's right. Pagans were doing what was right towards their fellow man long before Christ walked this earth.

Quoting littlemoments99:

Wow....you know. My husband and I joke sometimes about liberalism being a psychological disorder, but we don't actually think that. We just think people are misinformed and are stubborn. 

That's extremely rude to say about something which you know nothing about. I am a very strong Christian and I know my thoughts, morals, values, etc. are all correct. I am not perfect, but I know that God is alive and is in control. I know I can't make anyone believe anything and I don't try to make anyone believe anything. I simply give my opinion and my reasons why I think the way I do and they can take it or leave it. I will gladly listen to opinions that differ and I don't get offended if they say they don't believe in God. 

America was founded on Christian beliefs. That's why we have the laws we do. The laws that were originally written are very Biblical. America was never meant to have a religion, the only reason this is, is because our founding fathers didn't want it to be like England. They wanted people to be able to come here and be able to live their lives freely. That doesn't mean the country doesn't have values or laws based on a religion. If it was just a nation with no religion as a base then the laws would be all crazy, like they are starting to become. 

America can have Christian values and laws but still be respectful of those who don't want to be Christian. That's called freedom. What liberals are trying to do is make Christians go away all together and that is not right. I have every right to say something is wrong and if I feel like my religious rights are being stepped on then I am not going to just sit back and say nothing. People in this country who actually think Christians are the problem need to look at themselves first. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)