Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to teach young kids about guns

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm talking 3-7 yrs old. I am not super familiar with proper gun safety. So help me out.....

Should you let kids touch and hold an empty gun?

Do you show them how to shoot it?

Do you simply let them look while you explain why they are dangerous?

I know that my kids will be entering homes with accessible guns. (Shouldn't we all assume that?) So with that in mind, what is the proper way to teach a young child gun safety?

by on Jun. 8, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Replies (121-125):
MommaTurbo
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM

I live in one of the safest places in the country. No one locks their doors and keys are left in the ignitions of trucks. Our kids run all over the place and we dont worry about where they are. The crime rate is the closest to zero you're going to get.

But i still am not ignorant enough to be under the illusion that i'm safe enough to not need personal protection. That's just being stupid. 

Quoting loverbug75:

I guess where I live it's safe so it just makes sense to me that if where I lived was so unsafe that I needed a hand gun then I would move.

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Do you trust everyone in the world? I sure dont. I dare anyone to come into my house uninvited... and we carry the handgun when we travel. Too many scary people.

Quoting loverbug75:

Question. Why do you need a gun that's not for shooting animals? Honestly.

loverbug75
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM
So that's a justification for caring a gun? Really? I'm 37 an never ever have seen a gun other than a rifle and doubt I ever will. You only need them if other people have them. And here they don't seem to be so there is no need. Being reasonable... Doesn't that sound safer?

Quoting MommaTurbo:

I live in one of the safest places in the country. No one locks their doors and keys are left in the ignitions of trucks. Our kids run all over the place and we dont worry about where they are. The crime rate is the closest to zero you're going to get.

But i still am not ignorant enough to be under the illusion that i'm safe enough to not need personal protection. That's just being stupid. 

Quoting loverbug75:

I guess where I live it's safe so it just makes sense to me that if where I lived was so unsafe that I needed a hand gun then I would move.

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Do you trust everyone in the world? I sure dont. I dare anyone to come into my house uninvited... and we carry the handgun when we travel. Too many scary people.

Quoting loverbug75:

loverbug75
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 AM
SorryI meant you don't need them if other people DON'T have them...

Quoting loverbug75:

So that's a justification for caring a gun? Really? I'm 37 an never ever have seen a gun other than a rifle and doubt I ever will. You only need them if other people have them. And here they don't seem to be so there is no need. Being reasonable... Doesn't that sound safer?

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Quoting loverbug75:

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Quoting loverbug75:

MommaTurbo
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I only need them if other people have them??? Seriously?? Other people having guns is VERY far down on my list for reasons that I have them. It's really a non-issue where i live. The only time I worry about other people having guns is when it's illegal for law abiding citizens to carry. THEN i worry that the other people with guns (non-law abiding criminals). That's why i have such a huge issue with ridiculous gun free "safe" zones. 

To be perfectly honest, i feel much safer when i know that people around me are carrying. I taught my neighbor how to shoot because her husband is gone just as much as mine is, and sometimes you just need a gun around here. 

Where we live, the reasons to have a gun aren't people. Bears, wolves, coyotes and mountain lions are a very common thing in our back yard. Just last night when i was putting my dogs away, i heard three shots pop off fairly close to the house. Didn't think much of it til i smelled the skunk! 

We have one hand gun that we have for personal safety. It travels with us, and has a spot in the house for "just in case" moments (even though i'd grab my shot gun before i'd grab the 9 if i needed it at home). The rest of our guns are rifles or shotguns for hunting, because we do a LOT of it. My six year old even has his own little .22 rifle. We dont have guns to shoot people, we have guns so we can eat. And so does everyone else around here. 

And i wont go into my political reasons why we have guns, but it's also why we got some of the particular guns we have.

I think we're completely reasonable. And completely safe.

And you're crazy if you think the people around you dont have guns. A lot of people dont let others know they have firearms for a lot of reasons. 

Quoting loverbug75:

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Quoting loverbug75:

Quoting MommaTurbo:

Quoting loverbug75:

AJanks
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM

"In May, a 10-year-old Virginia girl named Margaret “Maggie” Hollifield was accidentally shot and killed at her home by an unnamed boy. While details of the incident were initially scarce, an official report on the shooting is in, and it’s heartbreaking. As it turns out, Hollifield was shot by her 13-year-old brother, who had been fixing his shotgun in the family’s living room when it suddenly discharged. Though the boy had forgotten to remove a shell that was in the chamber, the report notes that he was normally very cautious with his gun—he had received it as a present from a relative after completing a hunters’ safety class—and concludes that there was no reason to bring charges against anyone involved, as it was obviously just a “tragic accident.”" from Slate.

13 year old boy with lots of gun safety education. Education just doesn't make it safe. If there are guns around, as we hear in tragedy after tragedy, kids get hurt, maimed, and killed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured