Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Va. Republican Lt. Governor Candidate Said Birth Defects Were Caused By Sin

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 34 Replies

Va. Republican Lt. Governor Candidate Said Birth Defects Were Caused By Sin

“It is the principle of sin, rebellion against God and His truth which has brought about birth defects and other destructive natural occurrences.”

The Republican nominee for lieutenant governor of Virginia, E. W. Jackson, wrote in his 2008 book Ten Commandments to an Extraordinary Life that birth defects were caused because of sin. He wrote the book when he was serving as a minister.

The passage reads:

Keep in mind that the whole cosmos has been made imperfect — wounded — by sin. It is the principle of sin, rebellion against God and His truth which has brought about birth defects and other destructive natural occurrences. Leaving aside that for a moment, recent discoveries about the genetic code of each human being are a fulfillment of scripture. Your genetic code is the handwriting of God, written before you or the world existed. Our genetic blueprint is proof of the existence of the Living God and His infinite intelligence, purpose and design. Sadly, many will ignore the deeper spiritual truth which underlies the advance of this scientific knowledge.

Jackson told reporters last month, responding to past controversial comments on gays, “I say the things that I say because I’m a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me.” Jackson made the comment to reporters at a campaign stop in Fredericksburg, according to theWashington Post.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/va-republican-lt-governor-candidate-said-birth-defects-were

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

The Lieutenant Governor of Virginia is the head of the Virginia Disability Commission. The fact that this man is even considered to be a contender for this job is beyond disturbing. If this is how he views birth defects, can you imagine what he'd think about Autism, Down's Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy et cetera?
momtoscott
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not want this man making public policy that affects me.  

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

His theology is sound. He isn't saying that the baby sinned so it was born with a defect or the mom sinned so the baby had a defect, he's saying that the original plan was for everyone to live in blissful harmony in the garden of Eden, but we don't because of original sin. Anything un-Eden-like is the wages of sin, but it's not personal punishment for specific sins by specific people.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

His explanations are scary. He should best remain on the pulpit and away from the State

doomshroom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
so wait... birth defects are caused by sin, but our genetic code was written before the world existed, before sin existed? lol. seems legit.
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I see your point and agree that from a theological perspective, this makes sense.

However, this is a man campaigning for a public office. Even if he wrote this 5 years ago, it's something that the people who may or may not elect him to office certainly should know. I would have an issue voting for him based on this comment:

Quote:

“I say the things that I say because I’m a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me.”

Quoting AlekD:

His theology is sound. He isn't saying that the baby sinned so it was born with a defect or the mom sinned so the baby had a defect, he's saying that the original plan was for everyone to live in blissful harmony in the garden of Eden, but we don't because of original sin. Anything un-Eden-like is the wages of sin, but it's not personal punishment for specific sins by specific people.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

You would have issues voting for him because he has religious values that matter to him?

Quoting illogicalkat:

I see your point and agree that from a theological perspective, this makes sense.

However, this is a man campaigning for a public office. Even if he wrote this 5 years ago, it's something that the people who may or may not elect him to office certainly should know. I would have an issue voting for him based on this comment:

Quote:

“I say the things that I say because I’m a Christian, not because I hate anybody, but because I have religious values that matter to me.”

Quoting AlekD:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I will be sure to be very vocal about my opposition to this man. This comment will cause sane christians to not vote for him. The fanatic nut jobs will agree with him (fyi before someone claims I am attacking them because of this opinion, I have not read any of the comments so I don't know if any does or does not agree with this wack job of a man)

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM

If he thinks his religious values should be forced onto the greater population absolutely take issue with this. I will ensure I am very vocal about why sane folks should not vote for this man.

Quoting AlekD:

You would have issues voting for him because he has religious values that matter to him?

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quote:

Quoting AlekD:

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I see. And how would he go about forcing his values on the greater population?

Quoting mikiemom:

If he thinks his religious values should be forced onto the greater population absolutely take issue with this. I will ensure I am very vocal about why sane folks should not vote for this man.

Quoting AlekD:

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quote:

Quoting AlekD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)