Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Same-Sex Partners Of US Troops To Receive Military Benefits In September

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
  • 181 Replies
9 moms liked this

Same-sex domestic partners of military servicemembers will soon be issued government-issued identification cards entitling them to a number of benefits, Washington Times reports.

An internal personnel notice posted to the web Thursday states the military's commitment to upgrade their systems "so that eligible SSDPs and their families can begin receiving benefits/ID cards" beginning on Sept. 1.

From The Times:

The ID card Web notice refers to same-sex domestic partners as “SSDPs.”

The benefits include education, survivor, commissary, travel, counseling and transportation, but not what some consider the armed forces’ premium perks — health care and housing allowances.

The move comes after former Defense Secretary Leon Panetta announced he would lift the ban on same-sex partners receiving benefits days before he left office in February, CNN reports.

“These benefits shall be extended to the same-sex domestic partners and, where applicable, children of same-sex domestic partners, once the service member and their same-sex domestic partner have signed a declaration attesting to the existence of their committed relationship,” Panetta said in a statement at the time.

In order to receive the benefits, most couples need to sign a "declaration of domestic partnership," which states: “We are each other’s sole domestic partner, in a committed relationship, and intend to remain so indefinitely.”

The Pentagon told Times reporters they estimate there are about 17,000 same-sex couples on active duty, reserve, or retired.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/same-sex-to-receive-military-benefits-2013-6#ixzz2VkIqQJnv

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM
9 moms liked this

About time.. Now if the Federal Government would just catch up to the rest of the world

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
4 moms liked this

Wait, why the hell doesn't it include health care and housing benefits? That's BS. Do they get the pay raise once they're in a domestic partnership?

yourspecialkid
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Wouldn't it be great if they just got all of us to sign a "declaration of domestic partnership?"  Then there would be nothing to argue over.

The only problem I have with this is that I think it should also be extended not just to gay partnerships, but also to straight ones.

I am not against gay people having these kinds of benefits.  I just have the a problem when "marriage" is involved...as a very religious person, marriage is a sacrament.  A declaraton of partnership would be a great way to solve a problem imho.

rgba
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Yes, this...

Quoting Aestas:

Wait, why the hell doesn't it include health care and housing benefits? That's BS. Do they get the pay raise once they're in a domestic partnership?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM
14 moms liked this

Holy Matrimony Is a Holy Sacrament Not Marriage... 2 Separate things.

Marriage requires a Licence and not a religous person (unless wanted)

Holy Matrimony requires a Religious person and Blessings.

MonarchMom22
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM
8 moms liked this

I thought the sacrament was "holy matrimony" and could only be performed by a priest.  

You can have a marriage performed by a judge, mayor, ship's captain, etc. and still not be considered married by the church unless you have the sacrament of "holy matrimony."

I see these as two different things.  Those who are inclined to follow the teaching of a specific church can continue to have the religous ritual.  All other adults should be able to have a legal civil marriage - regardless of gender.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You are Correct some people have a hard time telling the 2 apart it seems

Quoting MonarchMom22:

I thought the sacrament was "holy matrimony" and could only be performed by a priest.  

You can have a marriage performed by a judge, mayor, ship's captain, etc. and still not be considered married by the church unless you have the sacrament of "holy matrimony."

I see these as two different things.  Those who are inclined to follow the teaching of a specific church can continue to have the religous ritual.  All other adults should be able to have a legal civil marriage - regardless of gender.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
5 moms liked this

Marriage is a legal contract, a wedding at a church is a sacriment. A church can perform a wedding but unless the couple has a marriage license from the state they are getting married in the wedding does not make their marriage legal only the document from the state does that.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Wouldn't it be great if they just got all of us to sign a "declaration of domestic partnership?"  Then there would be nothing to argue over.

The only problem I have with this is that I think it should also be extended not just to gay partnerships, but also to straight ones.

I am not against gay people having these kinds of benefits.  I just have the a problem when "marriage" is involved...as a very religious person, marriage is a sacrament.  A declaraton of partnership would be a great way to solve a problem imho.

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM
4 moms liked this
Because they aren't married, not as far as the federal government is concerned. I want same sex domestic partners to have the same benefits as heterosexual couples do too but this is cart before the horse. DH and I were together for 4 years before we got married. We even had a child together. I did not qualify for a single benefit until we were married. Once we got married it was no big deal. I 100% support same sex marriage and giving spousal benenfits to same sex partners of military members but this is one of the reasons it is so important that the federal government recognize it the way they recognize heterosexual marriage.

Quoting Aestas:

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a step but they need housing and health insurance as well.  Hopefully that will be right around the corner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)