Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

s/o Racial Stereotyping: WHY do so many people perceive things the way the people in the video did?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 81 Replies

Link to original thread will be in first reply.

The thread this is spun off from shows a video depicting 3 different types of people attempting to steal a bike in broad daylight, in front of lots of people.  A young white man, a young black man, and a pretty white woman.  The crowd reacts differently to each person. The young black man got a lot more negative attention than the other two people, and that is an understatement. 

The question of this thread is specifically, WHY was there such a difference in reaction from the crowd of onlookers?  I don't think the answer is as simple as, "Oh they must all be racists."

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not read the other thread.  I have seen the video, previously.

To think that someone must be racist because of their reaction is ridiculous.

Unless I know the individuals personally, how in the hell can I determine if they are racist.  Simply by their reactions I have witnessed only once?  No.  Not good enough for me.

I can't answer the 'why' as to any one and really, neither can any one else.  Not unless they know the individuals in question on a personal level.

I don't care who is stealing a bike, I am going to see what I can do, if any thing, at that time.  I am not about to let a black person, a white female or an orange alien do some thing obviously illegal without me at least making a determination of what I could possibly do, outside of calling the police, of course.

Asshats come in all shapes and sizes and colors.

Many people can assume the black person is evil based on their own prior experiences.  Where they live.  What they choose to believe.

The same can be said for any given person or circumstance.

Are some racist, no doubt.  Are all..............no one can say with certainty.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:43 PM

With respect to that video directly, it is MY belief that there is a general public perception that black people are not bike enthusiasts; I believe that played into the reactions we observed in that video.

Go to ANY park or biking trails and just take a random sample of the races of bikers; the numbers support my theory here.

There are also quite a few first person articles avail written by black people themselves explaining WHY biking for sport and fun is not a top activity in african american communites.

THEREFORE, seeing a black person attemt to a cut a lock on a bike in a park evokes a different response in MANY. When seeing the white guy, MANY folk think "oh he must've forgot his combo" or a litany of other viable excuses.

I also think, with respect to this video mentioned, clothing attire plays into public perception and altho I can't recall the differences in the clothing worn by the races shown, as it's been a few years since I watched the source video, I do recall taking notice of a difference in dress.

In a larger sense, we cannot discount the negative effects of simply watching nightly news out of any of our major cities. Unless of course, the news stations are racist for slanting the color of perps.

Good luck with the post, I don't anticipate you getting very much honest response.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM

This convo always remind me of this skit, hope you enjoy it OP.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/24b56caf3e/black-hiker-with-blair-underwood

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:10 AM
5 moms liked this

First... Go to a black neighborhood, most the black kids/teens you will see are on a bike or at least own one. 

Second... I think it's more of  a media thing. Most stories you here about robberies on the news is committed by blacks so people see that and associate black people with robberies. so when they see something like this happening right in front of them, the brain will assume he's a thief and the video is your result.

Quoting Radarma:

With respect to that video directly, it is MY belief that there is a general public perception that black people are not bike enthusiasts; I believe that played into the reactions we observed in that video.

Go to ANY park or biking trails and just take a random sample of the races of bikers; the numbers support my theory here.

There are also quite a few first person articles avail written by black people themselves explaining WHY biking for sport and fun is not a top activity in african american communites.

THEREFORE, seeing a black person attemt to a cut a lock on a bike in a park evokes a different response in MANY. When seeing the white guy, MANY folk think "oh he must've forgot his combo" or a litany of other viable excuses.

I also think, with respect to this video mentioned, clothing attire plays into public perception and altho I can't recall the differences in the clothing worn by the races shown, as it's been a few years since I watched the source video, I do recall taking notice of a difference in dress.

In a larger sense, we cannot discount the negative effects of simply watching nightly news out of any of our major cities. Unless of course, the news stations are racist for slanting the color of perps.

Good luck with the post, I don't anticipate you getting very much honest response.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM
8 moms liked this

It's because we live in a racist society which engenders these perceptions. An individual need not have any conscious feelings of racism in order to be affected by the racism in our society as a whole. We are constantly bombarded by images in the media and attitudes from others that shape what we believe about the world, often without our conscious awareness.

That's why the people in that video reacted the way they did.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I am curious what the response would be in a more racially balanced or majority black area of the country. It appears to be a majority white area in the video.

Anonopotamus
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:45 AM
That's not my experience.

Quoting Radarma:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quoting Radarma:

LOL!  I didn't even think of this!!!

there is a general public perception that black people are not bike enthusiasts

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Citygirlk:

First... Go to a black neighborhood, most the black kids/teens you will see are on a bike or at least own one. 

Second... I think it's more of  a media thing. Most stories you here about robberies on the news is committed by blacks so people see that and associate black people with robberies. so when they see something like this happening right in front of them, the brain will assume he's a thief and the video is your result.

Quoting Radarma:

I think you are right about this:

Most stories you here about robberies on the news is committed by blacks so people see that and associate black people with robberies. so when they see something like this happening right in front of them, the brain will assume he's a thief and the video is your result.

The question is, is this the correct perception that the news is portraying, or is it incorrect?  Are most robberies committed by black people or not?  I think that most robberies are not committed by black people, I think that since there are so many fewer black people than there are white people that the few stories we hear/see about black people happens to be in the news about crimes so we unconsciously associate black people with crime since that is the major context that we see them in, whereas we see white people doing everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)