Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Missing teacher's car found in bayou in New Orleans with body

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM
  • 9 Replies

Please note, I am not trying to be judgmental when I write this.  I am sorry the young lady is dead, I feel bad for her family but this is why you have to be careful when you go out drinking. I hope her family can have some closure.   There has been rumors of her drink being spiked, that she was sold into slavery, etc, but it may be a simple drunk driving accident.  Folks are now calling for the bayou to be safety guarded or concrete barriers put up to prevent things like this happening again, but I think maybe personal responsibility should play a part as well.  I am not saying that I don't get drunk, but I try not to drink when I am out much, but then again, I get a buzz and then I am fine in about 30 minutes.  I also eat when I drink so that prevents me from being drunk most of the time. 

Missing La. teacher's car found; body inside

8 hr agoDuration: 1:32Views: 28k

Missing teacher's car found with body inside

9 hr agoBy Associated Press

Authorities couldn't immediately say whether the body was that of Terrilyn Monette. Monette's family has accused New Orleans police of mishandling the search for her.

NEW ORLEANS - Authorities pulled a missing teacher's car from a New Orleans bayou Saturday, and police said there was a decomposed body inside.

Authorities couldn't immediately say whether the body was that of Terrilyn Monette, who was last seen leaving a New Orleans bar not far from the bayou in the early-morning hours of March 2. She would have had to cross the waterway to get home.

Monette was a Long Beach, Calif., native who moved to Louisiana to teach. Her family has been flying back and forth from California to look for her. They attended a prayer vigil Friday and appealed for FBI intervention, accusing the New Orleans Police Department of mishandling the case. The department has denied the accusations.

Monette's mother, Toni Enclade, was among the family members who went to the scene Saturday.

"I don't understand why it took them so long to find her car," Enclade told The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune. "This is supposedly one of the first places they would have checked. I'm just overwhelmed. It doesn't make sense."

Louisiana state Rep. Austin Badon helped spearhead the search. He said he and a volunteer diver resurveyed the waterway and found the car.

"We decided to sonar this area again, and more heavily, and it got a hit," Badon said.

A diver got into the water and found the car, which was covered with a film when it was pulled out. Badon described the body as "heavily decomposed."

John Gagliano, the Orleans Parish coroner's chief investigator, said he could not immediately tell if the body was a man or a woman. Gagliano told The (Baton Rouge) Advocate an autopsy will be performed Monday to determine the identity of the body and cause of death.

Monette was a second-grade teacher at Woodland West Elementary School in Harvey, which is located across the Mississippi River from New Orleans. She had gone to Louisiana through a program that recruits teachers to area schools and had been nominated for a teacher of the year honor.

After going to a bar, her friends left her at her car. They told police she planned to sleep before driving home. She left a parking lot about 5:15 a.m., and a traffic camera captured her making a turn in New Orleans' City Park.

Monette's disappearance sparked a broad search handled in part by the Texas group Equusearch. A number of cars were pulled earlier from Bayou St. John as part of the search, some of which had been reported stolen.

"Unfortunately it wasn't what we were looking for in terms of finding her alive and well, but it does bring the family some closure," Badon said.

--

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Wait on the finding she could have had a medical reason that ended her up in the swamp. If such, it could happen to anyone drinking or not. 

This call for safeguarding cannot be done easily and it could completely screw up the ecological systems at play. I mean it isn't like a curve barrier helps all that much. People's demands for safety astound me sometimes. Good grief there are literally hundreds of things that could cause anyone's death, at any given time. 89000 people die go to sleep never to wake up and people die laughing. Yes, I am grim.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 9, 2013 at 11:59 PM

sad ...but yes closure is a good thing.

godsgirl26
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Quoting turtle68:

sad ...but yes closure is a good thing.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I wonder what will happen after more investigation.NOLA has a lot of crime and corruption that could have gotten this lady dead in her car in the bayou or she could have just had some medical issues and ended up there either way.I hope the investigation will yield more information and less rumors and hearsay

rfurlongg
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 5:18 AM
I agree

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I wonder what will happen after more investigation.NOLA has a lot of crime and corruption that could have gotten this lady dead in her car in the bayou or she could have just had some medical issues and ended up there either way.I hope the investigation will yield more information and less rumors and hearsay

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
valhallaarwen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Yes there is a lot of crime in NOLA, including the police.  I am sure you heard about what happened at the parish jail. Regardless of medical issues, the one thing is clear, she was seen drinking a lot.  She left the bar at 2 am to sleep it off in her car and then drove off at 5 in the morning.  I don't understand why her friends let her sleep it off in the car.   

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I don't get that either if my friend was drunk and I was more sober I would have told her come on you are sleeping in my couch

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Yes there is a lot of crime in NOLA, including the police.  I am sure you heard about what happened at the parish jail. Regardless of medical issues, the one thing is clear, she was seen drinking a lot.  She left the bar at 2 am to sleep it off in her car and then drove off at 5 in the morning.  I don't understand why her friends let her sleep it off in the car.   

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Mommabearbergh
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I don't get that either if my friend was drunk and I was more sober I would have told her come on you are sleeping in my couch

Quoting valhallaarwen:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Just sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)